X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrisolson
    replied
    Originally posted by akoch View Post
    I am not into Steve perhaps, but play a lot of Ibanez guitars. Would never buy a signature model thought, regardless whose it is.

Why not?

Leave a comment:

• Soap
    replied
    I still think that Jackson guitars are reasonably priced for what they are. Quality guitars.

The RR1's are still big sellers in the Jackson line of guitars, these are great guitars and reasonably priced.
    Anybody that has one knows how enjoyable and proven these guitars are.
    I have a buddiy who has two (one with a floyd and one without) I can tell you there are incredible guitars.
    He's not really that big of a RR fan it was the action, playability and sound of the guitar that sold him on them.

Jackson just makes good guitars reasonably priced.

Leave a comment:

• jgcable
    replied
    The expensive models are only manufactured for advertisement. Think of it like the Mercedes Iboc or the Ford GT40 or GT500. Obviously, they don't sell many of these cars. These are the cars that lure the public to the showroom. Once they are there.. they sell them a car they can afford.
    Same thing with guitars. Fender isn't selling tons of $5000+ Sig model Claptons but they are selling tons of $1400.00 Claptons.
    Regarding the artist and what they get paid. It depends on the level of the deal but for the most part.. if you are a major player like Clapton, Vai, Beck, Johnson etc.... and you are in business with a major brand like Fender, Gibson etc... you are making money and lots of it.
    Those royalty checks must be SWEET. Plus, you get all the free gear you could ever want or need.

Leave a comment:

• akoch
    replied
    Originally posted by joshulator View Post
    In fact, when I think Ibanez, I think Steve Vai before I think about their guitars.
    I am not into Steve perhaps, but play a lot of Ibanez guitars. Would never buy a signature model thought, regardless whose it is.

Leave a comment:

• GuerillaPete
    replied
    Originally posted by SixstringKing View Post
    GuerrillaPete- Punisher of Pastrami Peddler of CS PC. Has a nice ring don't ya think?
    You know me, I'll do whatever it takes to get a CS run going. Even joining a gym.

Getting back to signature models - some companies are super-cheap. An endorsed signature artist may sometimes just get gear and a royalty out of it. And the gear maybe be limited to a certain amount each year.

Leave a comment:

• Nightbat
    replied
    I really think that artists are offered % of their sig guitars sold OR $XXXXXX.xx per X years for a signature contract (including photoshoots, show and clinic attendence)
    Though I'm guessing only the Big names that will sell a lot of axes get offered the contract and very big names still take a % of every sold guitar

then again, guys like Clapton probably chose to only get X%/$XXX(X?).xx from every guitar sold

Leave a comment:

• Chad
    replied
    Overall, I'd guess there are very few musical instrument endorsements that are all that lucrative for the artists. As far as how it affects instrument pricing: it would vary in each situation and there are probably nondisclosure clauses in the contracts, so we're likely to never know for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Vass
    replied
    Don't forget he also does a bajillion photo shoots for them...... So that 250k may have more than per unit percentage in it.

Leave a comment:

• SixstringKing
    replied
    Originally posted by joshulator View Post
    I don't know how these things work, but perhaps income from an endorsement deal is separate from signature model sales income? I could easily see Vai making 6 figures on endorsing the company and essentially being their face. In fact, when I think Ibanez, I think Steve Vai before I think about their guitars.
    True enough. You get a kid who can't afford a JEM but still wants an Ibanez because that's the brand Steve plays. He may buy a lower end guitar but at the end of the day he still bought your product and not someone elses.

Leave a comment:

• joshulator
    replied
    I don't know how these things work, but perhaps income from an endorsement deal is separate from signature model sales income? I could easily see Vai making 6 figures on endorsing the company and essentially being their face. In fact, when I think Ibanez, I think Steve Vai before I think about their guitars.

Leave a comment:

• SixstringKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
    I don't know how true it is, but I heard that Steve Vai gets about 250 thou a year from Ibanez.
    It's possible, there are 4 different JEMs and a UV. When you're talking about shelling out $1500 for a low end JEM505 or $2900 for the JEM7VWH. Makes me wonder what Edward makes for both his Wolfgang guitar and 5150III amp line through Fender.

Leave a comment:

• Snoogans
    replied
    I don't know how true it is, but I heard that Steve Vai gets about 250 thou a year from Ibanez.

Leave a comment:

• Trussrod
    replied
    I've seen a few Washburn Dimebolt's on eBay that had been signed by Dimebag when the buyers bought their guitars. He used to make appearances at music stores to sell guitars and sign autographs. On one of the guitars he wrote something like, "$87 G's rippem!!" The person who created the eBay listing claimed Dimebag was excited about a check he recently received from Washburn. With all of the endorsement deals his estate has his heirs could be making more money now than he did when he was alive.

I can't imagine there are many buyers interested in a $5,000 Clapton sig or a $25,000 exact replica Frankenstrat. There's more money in small ticket items like pickups and cheap guitars.

Leave a comment:

• AlexL
    replied
    The Alex Lifeson LP is only slightly more expensive than an Axcess, especially when you consider the cost of the Piezo.

And if you're paying 5K for an Alex Lifeson LP, you are not shopping around enough. Geez, MAP on those is 3999.99; where the heck would you pay 5K for one?

I doubt many artists could retire and live on the residuals from their signature items. I could be way off, but I'd be surprised if they get more than 3 - 400.00. Probably closer to 200 - 300.

I don't even consider the PC1 as priced any higher as a sig guitar than it would be as a non-sig.

- E.

Leave a comment:

• Nightbat
    replied
    Originally posted by JacksoNeal View Post
    Obviously the answer to my question has countless variables, but in general...I wonder if artist sig models make a whopper of cash for whoever the artist may be or if it's just more of a side gig/prestige type deal.
    I guess that's up to the amount of fame attached to the name/guitar
    I'm betting for instance Gus G. is now able to make a lot more money on endorsements since he signed a High Profile gig with Ozzy than he did with Firewind

Leave a comment:

Working...
X