Anyone see Phil Collen on TMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone see Phil Collen on TMS?

Now I know why he doesn't bother with inlays on his fretboard. He just spews random notes!

Yeah. He's awesome for Def Lep but alone I'm really not impressed. He plays thick piano wire strings and uses a metal pick so that probably doesn't help to smooth things out.
    Last edited by MikeStrat; 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Watching it now.

He has been loyal to Jackson FWIW. But I prefer the Def Leppard stuff before he started...Pyro or earlier. Who was the guy that was replaced-brain farting on his name right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Watching it now.

He has been loyal to Jackson FWIW. But I prefer the Def Leppard stuff before he started...Pyro or earlier. Who was the guy that was replaced-brain farting on his name right now.
        pete willis was who he replaced. You can tell who wrote what albums... steve clark wrote high n dry/ pyromania. Phil wrote hysteria. Thats when they started sucking, lol. Never cared for phil as a player.
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
          pete willis was who he replaced. You can tell who wrote what albums... steve clark wrote high n dry/ pyromania. Phil wrote hysteria. Thats when they started sucking, lol. Never cared for phil as a player.
          Steve Clark never wrote full songs, he just came in with riffs and ideas. So how you can tell who wrote what, when you're completely wrong, fuck knows. Steve was still in the band during Hysteria, you know.

Can someone post a link to this TMS thing? I thought it was common knowledge around the net that Phil was a monster shredder who never used his talent properly in DL, so it's kinda surprising to see a thread like this where people are saying his playing sucks.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Just saw it. Complete crap for the most part.

Comment

There are a bunch of guys on Metal Sludge saying the same thing... that he sucked on the show. Didn't see it myself. Personally I like Phil's playing. I guess I can see how some people might say that his playing sounds sloppy when he does fast picked runs, but I think a lot of that has to do with using metal picks. I think if did the exact same run or lick with a plastic pick and on the neck pickup, it would sound a lot smoother. For example, the very end of the solo in Let's Get Rocked sounds like it's on the neck pickup to me, and sounds smoother than some of his other stuff where he's clearly shredding on the bridge pickup.
              Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
              www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I would like to know what practice amp he was using? obvious delay, but the tone was killer! Im sure he will "sleep like a baby" with his $30 million in the bank, from you haters! LOL

Comment

I am in no way a hater. Matter of fact, I don't have any feelings towards his playing one way or another - far from a Def Leppard fan. I posted because I saw him on TMS. Just saw him again this week. His playing in Def Leppard is great for the songs. My post was related to what I saw and heard on the show. To tell you the truth, I was more impressed with the old HotLicks intro that Vinnie Vincent did - and for the record that was rubbish too. Large amounts of money doesn't always equate to talent - just tune into any radio station at any time. Sorry for giving my opinion on the subject, I hope I didn't hurt his feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                    Steve Clark never wrote full songs, he just came in with riffs and ideas. So how you can tell who wrote what, when you're completely wrong, fuck knows. Steve was still in the band during Hysteria, you know.

Can someone post a link to this TMS thing? I thought it was common knowledge around the net that Phil was a monster shredder who never used his talent properly in DL, so it's kinda surprising to see a thread like this where people are saying his playing sucks.
                    Mutt Lange did 90% of the arrangements for Pyro and Hysteria.
                    Steve, Pete and Phil came up with the riffs and Mutt put it together.
                    Mutt's "style" might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's produced more #1 albums than any producer to date.

And for you pre-Phil snobs, Phil played on the Pyro album along with Pete.
                    Most of Pete's shit was tossed or buried in the background. Pete was too drunk to play worth a damn.

Phil was "off his game" for the TMS taping for sure.
                    I've watched Phil and Viv cut loose for about 15 minutes during a Lep concert a few years back and they both were insane.
                    Jaw dropping good show.
                    I wish they would play like that on Lep songs.
                    -Rick

Comment

I'm a big Phil fan and was excited to see him on there. But I have no idea what the hell he was going it seemed more like he just wanted to throw in as many notes as he could. There wasn't any real structure to it which kind of surprised me. All in all that would be a bad introduction for someone to Phil's playing. The guy has the speed and he has the knowledge just didn't seem like one of those decided to show up.
                      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I saw it too. I am a fan of Phil........but I dont know what the hell was going on there. well......wait a minute...... that guitar playing reminds me of when I figured out for the first time what my special purpose was really for.......and I just couldnt use it fast enough.
                        Last edited by tonemonster; 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I was thinking the same thing when watching it, he did seem off his game. He was on a previous episode and played some decent stuff.

Comment

That was awesome!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I wasn't impressed with Phil on TMS. But, to be fair, it's a tough segment to play, you get like 3 or 4 spots that are like what 10 seconds at most. There weren't too many players that pulled it off really well. The first one that really wowed me wasn't even playing guitar..Billy Sheehan. Another good one was Paul Gilbert (Note: I'm not a Mr. Big fan ) I was looking forward to George Lynch but It was hard to hear his playing over that flanger/phaser he had on all the time...though I did recognize part of the Tooth and nail solo he did. I think all the players have the talent to make it great but the 2 mentioned above were the most entertaining...of the episodes I have seen.
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X