Cryptic Writings etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cryptic Writings etc.

Anyone here have any specifics on what amps were used on Cryptic Writings? I love the tone on the whole release. Also, any knowledge of what was used on HellYeah's first release would be cool too.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

I think Marty was using Crate Blue Voodoos at the time.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dave used a Bogner Fish preamp through VHT poweramps for live. In the studio, there's no telling.

Comment

Wasn't that around the time Dave was aparently using Rocktron Prophesys?
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I recall seeing an interview back in the day that Dave used a 5150 for some parts (not the main tone though).
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Did he use lemon oil?
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              Wasn't that around the time Dave was aparently using Rocktron Prophesys?
              That's what I remember too. Prophesy into a Marshall 50/50.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Did he use lemon oil?
                He probably freebased the stuff.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Apparently, he was using the Fish for the studio when recording Rust in Peace, but transitioned to the CAE 3+ preamp for the studio for everything from Countdown to Extinction up to The System Has Failed. He continued to use the Fish/VHT setup live all throughout the 90's, however. Also, he used VHT poweramps in both the studio and live.

I'm not sure how much he actually used the Prophesy during United Abominations or Endgame. He doesn't record with the Bogner or CAE anymore and his live sound is running two modified JVM410H's together. As for the studio, who freakin' knows. I'm sure there's a hundred layered guitar tracks running through 20 different uber-expensive amps.

If you want a great Megadeth-esque tone, the Prophesy definitely does it. There's a user on YouTube playing a KE1 through a Prophesy/JCM800 that has absolutely nailed their tone.

Comment

Im not trying to emulate, was just curious.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                      Apparently, he was using the Fish for the studio when recording Rust in Peace, but transitioned to the CAE 3+ preamp for the studio for everything from Countdown to Extinction up to The System Has Failed. He continued to use the Fish/VHT setup live all throughout the 90's, however. Also, he used VHT poweramps in both the studio and live.

I'm not sure how much he actually used the Prophesy during United Abominations or Endgame. He doesn't record with the Bogner or CAE anymore and his live sound is running two modified JVM410H's together. As for the studio, who freakin' knows. I'm sure there's a hundred layered guitar tracks running through 20 different uber-expensive amps.

If you want a great Megadeth-esque tone, the Prophesy definitely does it. There's a user on YouTube playing a KE1 through a Prophesy/JCM800 that has absolutely nailed their tone.
                      Link?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                        Link?
                        Now I'm getting it was the Triple Giant on RIP.

"
                        It is hotly contested what amplifiers Marty first used with Megadeth on their landmark album "Rust in Peace." He almost definitely used a Bogner Triple Giant and a Tube Works solid-state preamp for solos, along with a VHT 2150 power amp. Contrary to popular belief the Bogner Fish, which is often cited as the preamp for the album, was first released one year after the album debuted, therefore making it impossible to be the preamp of use on this album, that is unless he received a pre-production model.
                        Marty and Dave Mustaine both used Custom Audio Electronics 3+ Preamps and VHT 2150 power amps on the commercially successful "Countdown to Extinction" and "Youthanasia" albums. When recording started on "Cryptic Writings, Marty switched to Crate Amplifiers. He used these on all of his recordings after "Youthanasia", primarily using Crate's highly successful Blue Voodoo tube amplifiers. As of 2007 however, Crate has discontinued the Blue Voodoo and Marty now uses ENGL amplifiers. He uses Special Edition heads and Vintage cabinets from ENGL."

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc.../t-154592.html

There's a lot of speculation out there on their gear, but I know from pics I've seen of their rigs in the 90's he was running the Fish into the VHT 2150 up until '99 atleast. I read in an interview in an old GW that Dave was still using the Bogner/VHT on TSHF. As for RIP, since it is true that the Fish wasn't released to the public until after the release of the album they were either using the Triple Giant or they had prototypes of them.

And to the OP: according to the first link, Marty was using the Blue Voodoo on Cryptic Writings. I stand corrected, and sorry for the bad intel.

*EDIT: As for the modded JVM's, there was an interview with Dave during the Big Four with Ultimate-Guitar and he said he was using "hot-rodded" Marshall JVM's. I don't know if that actually means modded, but I'm going to assume so. When I saw Megadeth he was running JVM's for sure. (and to be honest...it sounded pretty thin, but that could've just been the soundman sucking ass)
                        Last edited by DRM; 12-14-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Endgame was recorded with JVMs. As for live, Dave was using the Digitech GSP1101 until his recent switch to the Axe FX Ultra (both through Marshall EL34 poweramps).
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I don't know about the amps from that era but I do own one of Marty's Kellys used on the Cryptic Writings CD and tour
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Wasn't Dave using JMP-1s for Cryptic Writings? as per screenshot http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/12/44/56/39/mustai10.jpg

Then I heard he moved to Rocktron Piranhas for Risk which in turn led him onto the prophesy

Comment

Working...
                              X