No announcement yet.

Opinions on Gus G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary Moore was in the picture in the early days before Randy was ever involved, though he was asked again after Randy died and turned down the gig. Supposedly John Sykes turned down the Ozzy gig after Randy died, also. Bernie Torme was the only one crazy enough to take the gig on such short notice. Brad Gillis came in a few weeks later.

In Garry Sharpe-Young's book on Sabbath & Ozzy, "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," Dana Strum is quoted as having attended a rehearsal in 1979 where Ozzy and Gary were playing. Both Gary and Ozzy were managed by Don Arden and were signed to Arden's Jet Records at the time, so it made sense for them to try and team up. According to Strum, Gary obviously was the wrong sort of player for Ozzy, though.

Sharpe-Young's book is a pretty exhaustive and well-researched history of Sabbath & Ozzy in the '80s, and Paul Gilbert isn't mentioned at all in connection with the Ozzy gig after Randy died. As PeterC said, Gilbert was only about 16 in 1982, and there's no way he would have gotten the gig. Doesn't mean he wasn't considered by Ozzy and Sharon later on. In fact, I'd assume he probably auditioned after Jake left, since pretty much everyone else in L.A. who owned a guitar did.
    Last edited by pro-fusion; 09-22-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

I didn't know John was offered the gig. I cannot comment on it because I've only ever spoken to John once and that was about gear and it was over 20 years ago. I'd have loved to have seen that though. I think they would have made some classic stuff. It surprises me about MS too. Never met the guy, no idea.

I can speak about GM being offered the gig because I've heard it first hand and I know it to be true. It's true Gary has never played Ozzy's songs in public. Why would he? He never wanted to play for Ozzy, but that doesn't mean he never got offered the job. Back then GM was thought to be one of the best rock players out there.

I've been told that Sharon prefers to hire guys that aren't already big names because they are less of a pain in the ass.

Around the time of Jake E Lee's departure, Ozzy didn't want a super strat playing shredder. He wanted heavy riff's because he wanted to go back to a less hair metal sound and look. He didn't like the hairspray sort of thing going on with The ultimate sin. Which shows if you look how it went after Jake's departure.

Comment

Paul explains the "Ozzy connection" in this interview.

http://www.guitaredge.com/index.php?...iews&Itemid=66

He wasn't offered the gig - he thought he'd have a crack at it and sent a tape to Mike Varney

fwiw, Ozzy & Gary did eventually play together in the 80s on a Moore song, Led Clones, that poked fun at bands like House of Lords & Kingdom Come
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Looks like I really stirred things up here with my comments on PG. I guess they were just rumors passed along by teenagers at the time. I had a tape of PG from something local back in 1982, but it's long since gone. He definitely had the chops even then.

Comment

I've just been flicking through an old (GFTPM Feb '84) guitar mag. There's a brief interview with John Sykes. He says that he got the call from Aunty Sharon after Randy went, so he quit the Tygers and hung around waiting for further information and 'plane tickets. Nothing was forthcoming, and all his calls were met with lame excuses. In the end he just got pissed-off with being messed about.

Comment

gus sound just like zakk i saw gus live during ozzfest.
              i dont like ozzy new album either
              but hes still good because he's greek!!!!!!!
              jake e lee should join the band again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

sorry removing response
                In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I gotta say he's kinda grown on me. At first I was less than impressed. But the more I listened the more I liked. One of the few non-wammy bar using ax-wielders that I like.
                  Ozzy's new album may not floor me but there are nuggets of guitar work that sneak up on ya after 2 or 3 listens. Also consider that IMO, Zakk and Jake took an album to fully hit their stride. I think we'll be hearing good things from Gus G in years to come...

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    LOLZ! One of these names doesn't belong/deserve to be in the same sentence!
                    That would be Zack right?

I think Gug is a very good player.. especially with firewind & is perfectly capable of handling the Oz gig.. I wish he didnt try to cop Zacks style so much.. he does his own thing quite well & a fresh sound in Ozzy is aboout 15 years overdue. I'm hoping if he sticks around he'll be allowed to be himself.

I know there so many hardcore zack fans out there but personally I'm glad to see him gone from Ozzy. I think 9 billion hits of the same 5 pinch harmonics in every song is at least slightly overboard & very boring to me. Ive been a huge Ozzy fan since i was a child but theres nothing after No More Tears that interested me until I heard Zack was gone. In my humble opinion Zack hit his "ozzy peak" on N.M.T. & was rolling down hill rapidly after that. He & Ozzy are better off this way
                    Last edited by J_A / 540s; 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM.
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                      Gary Moore was in the picture in the early days before Randy was ever involved, though he was asked again after Randy died and turned down the gig. Supposedly John Sykes turned down the Ozzy gig after Randy died, also. Bernie Torme was the only one crazy enough to take the gig on such short notice. Brad Gillis came in a few weeks later.

In Garry Sharpe-Young's book on Sabbath & Ozzy, "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," Dana Strum is quoted as having attended a rehearsal in 1979 where Ozzy and Gary were playing. Both Gary and Ozzy were managed by Don Arden and were signed to Arden's Jet Records at the time, so it made sense for them to try and team up. According to Strum, Gary obviously was the wrong sort of player for Ozzy, though.

Sharpe-Young's book is a pretty exhaustive and well-researched history of Sabbath & Ozzy in the '80s, and Paul Gilbert isn't mentioned at all in connection with the Ozzy gig after Randy died. As PeterC said, Gilbert was only about 16 in 1982, and there's no way he would have gotten the gig. Doesn't mean he wasn't considered by Ozzy and Sharon later on. In fact, I'd assume he probably auditioned after Jake left, since pretty much everyone else in L.A. who owned a guitar did.
                      You forgot about me bro! I was in the finals in NYC to replace Randy for the Speak of the Devil tour. Brad Gillis got the gig. I really don't know how close I actually got but I did get a call back. lol......

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        You forgot about me bro! I was in the finals in NYC to replace Randy for the Speak of the Devil tour. Brad Gillis got the gig. I really don't know how close I actually got but I did get a call back. lol......
                        I was taking lessons from a guy in Connecticut at the time and he had a friend that was also in the running (supposedly). I have seen youtube videos of the guy - Jimi Bell. I think he still owns a music store in CT and plays/played with House of Lords.

Comment

Working...
                        X