What's your ideal recorded sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
    John Sykes, Blue Murder hands down for me every time.
    +1...fully hosed down (lots of effects) but great sound.
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I have very different views here, in that my favorite recorded tones are Duane's at Fillmore East, early Blackmore and VH1, but my own tone is quite a bit heavier.

Comment

I want Rich Ward's recorded tone.
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

In Chronological order..w/ overlaping

Black Sabbbath "Paranoid"..my dad planted the seed with this one.

*VH1/ VH II / FW / 1984..the tone that started it all. My main tone shaper for over 2 decades.

Gary Moore - Corridoors of Power/Victims of the future

Dokken - T&N/UL&K/BFTA...great lead tones and playing, thought his rythms were simple but effective!

Loudness - Thunder in the east/Lighting Strikes

Sykes, TL - "Thunder and Lightning/ WS - S/T ..where I got my "squeal" ..I'm sure Zakk got it from him too.

*Savatage - Streets/Edge of thorns..Criss kept getting better. A major tone shaper. Classic VH + Latter Criss Oliva = Marshall 9200/JMP-1/JFX-1...amen.

*Steve Stevens - ..Vince Neils' "Exposed"..100% perfect tone/playing IMO!

*Coroner - "mental vortex" /" Grin"..this was a huge one. This started my thirst for heavier tones and playing styles, and shapes my tone to this day. 1989's Mental Vortex.. Son Of Lilith..that tone still smokes IMO!!

*Testament - The Ritual / The Gathering

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga / SWTWC..for rythms of course.

Darkane "Rusted Angel"

Soilwork "Steelbath suicide" / Chainheart Machine

*Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges/ Wages of Sin..heavy rythms/singing leads. Pretty important release for me to get to heavier sonic realms.

*NEVEMORE >>> Its ALL about Jeff Loomis for 10+ years. I no longer have a need for any tones stated above. ..The epitome of "heavy" metal tone, songs and playing!

Edit..These are some the tones that shaped my tone for 30 years. So I'll just put (*) by the main ones.

Honorable mention..OZZY "speak of the devil, TNT everything, CONCEPTION everything, DEATH symbolic, and TSOP, ...some friends and family think I sound like Glen Drover..I don't try to, ..similiar tone/writing/playing style I guess. Cleveland John sounds like Criss Oliva. He never learned Criss note for note 100%..its just his natural style. With a dash of Carlos Cavazo..I don't think he ever cared about Carlos Cavazo. He's prolly thinking fuck Bill..fuck Carlos Cavazo. But Its a compliment..he's in Ratt y'know..
          Last edited by horns666; 10-27-2008, 05:25 PM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dies Irae - Sculpture of Stone
            Decapitated - The Fury (Tone is in the hands, and Vogg's hands are deadly!)
            Behemoth - Demigod

So that said, maybe I should do all future guitar recordings in Poland...
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
              Dies Irae - Sculpture of Stone
              Decapitated - The Fury (Tone is in the hands, and Vogg's hands are deadly!)
              Behemoth - Demigod

So that said, maybe I should do all future guitar recordings in Poland...
              I thought that as soon as you mentioned those names..all except Vader.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Ratt - Invasion of your Privacy

Firehouse - Firehouse
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Also like to add Eric Johnson's 800 lb violin tone.
                  www.JerryRobison.com
                  '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Angus's tone on "Walk All Over You". Pure bliss. I love just hearing those opening chords, ring out, before the rest of the guys chime in.

Accept's "Balls To The Wall" is right in the running, too.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Clean: S. Stevens "Flesh for Fantasy". Metallica "Nothing Else Matters". David Gilmour's tone on anything.

Dirty: Lynch "Back for the Attack", "Wicked Sensation" albums.
                      Billy Duffy's tone on "Electric".
                      8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Pure guitar tone - probably Metallica's Justice album - very tight and heavy - probably too tight and heavy, which I have recently decided why Lars used electroic drums, but i digress. The way the recording is compressed probably makes this not such a good choice for practical application, but I still f'kin like it. Justine or the Black album probably is their best usable guitar tone, but I dont like them quite as much.

Practical guitar tone, probably Testaments The New Order and VH1/VHII. I also think that Randy's live tone on the Tribute album is fukin awsome.
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Well since nobody has mentioned it yet, it may not be my ideal tone but GREAT tone none the less. Zakk Wylde even said it was the tone he had in his head when he was looking for his sound on No Rest For The Wicked:

Ronnie LeTekro of TNT on the song 10,000 Lovers! I hope I spelled his last name right!

Comment

"Ronnie LeTekro of TNT on the song 10,000 Lovers! I hope I spelled his last name right!"

Yes, You did and he's great...so is NRFTW

Comment

I absolutely love Tony Iommi's tone on Reunion

Comment

the guitar sounds on the Scorpions 'crazy world ' album ....for leads - well Andy Larouques tone would be nice !!!
                                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                                X