EVH 5150 lll...An Obituary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
    If you like that hot-rodded Marshall thing, I'm pretty sure you'll like the Soldano. Like I mentioned above, I love mine.
    You are right about the Avenger, I liked it instantly in the shop. I must have had your post in the back of my mind when I got it.

Mine is an Avenger 50, I take it that yours is a 100 watt? Mine does have an effects loop, single channel, no footswitch

Comment

Great news so far Sean!!..Congrats!!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Lets hope you wont be cooking marshmallows with this one. When are you playing the Nags Head in Macc next so I can come and point and go oooh.
        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

I'll be using it at rehearsal tomorrow, if all's good, I'll be gigging with it on Saturday night.

In the house, at low volume, this Soldano sounds like an 800 series; not a bad thing, but I've got an 800 series that's currently enjoying its retirement. I'm hoping that when it's playing at full tilt, it'll sound a bit more brutal. The other thing I'm worried about is the volume difference. It's a long time since I've used a 50 watt amp, drummers seem to have got louder in that time. We'll see.

I'm going to be running my GT Pro in the loop (series) for clean sounds (using the Soldano's power section only). I've set up a patch using the 4CM so that I can use the Soldano pre and power amp and switch in and out of my Maxon OD808 which is pushing the front end.

Shobet, I played the Nags Head a couple of weeks ago, I think our next gig there is in February.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how the Soldano performs in all configurations as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
            You are right about the Avenger, I liked it instantly in the shop. I must have had your post in the back of my mind when I got it.

Mine is an Avenger 50, I take it that yours is a 100 watt? Mine does have an effects loop, single channel, no footswitch
            Yep, 100watts. Past 3, it sounds monstrous. Of course, it is LOUD by that point. Is yours an EL34 version? Mine has 4 5881's... I think they're Sovteks. I've never had the urge to touch any of the tubes in there... perfect out of the box.

I highly doubt you're gonna have any problems with it either. That amp is the real deal.
            Last edited by khabibissell; 09-17-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Mine's the 6L6 version. Do you think the 50 watts will keep up?

Comment

Mine's the 6L6 version. Do you think the 50 watts will keep up?
                Hahaha Oh yeah, no problem. The voicing of the amp makes it cut really well. I would think 50watts is a perfect size for a single channel amp that you plan to use for high gain sounds anyway. You'll get some power tube saturation quicker. I usually run my mids at 6 - 6.5, bass at 5 - 6, treble 4 - 4.5 and gain around 5. Presence and Depth vary. If you are worried about it sounding thin, just turn the Depth up a bit. My favorite thing about the amp it is how it responds to your pick. Perfect!

You shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy it!
                Last edited by khabibissell; 09-17-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

the avenger is a good choice! i was thinking you wanted a 2 ch head. i used to pull the 2 outer tubes with my SLO and run it as a 60 watter and never did I ever have a problem with volume Soldano amps cut through the mix in general. i almost bought an avenger but i really like having a 2nd channel. good luck with the gig and let us know what you think.

Comment

I did originally want a two channel head until I realised that as I was using the GT Pro in the 4CM, I don't need another channel. My cleans are using the Soldano's power section.

Comment

I think I saw your two old black EVH heads at the shop today, looking sad and lonely on the floor next to the PRS section.
                      Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Yes, that's where I left them, stacked up together. I'll know what the Soldano is like in the next couple of hours.

Comment

Great choice with that Soldano......I'll never part with my SLO........I couldn't imagine anything more I could ever want. It's a total rush every time I plug in. Can't go wrong with a Soldano. And built to last on top of the insanely amazing tone! I bet you get some serious tone compliments very soon,,,,,,it will be a regular thing, so get used to it

Comment

I did originally want a two channel head until I realised that as I was using the GT Pro in the 4CM, I don't need another channel. My cleans are using the Soldano's power section.
                            Oh my bad. Well in that case, RM50 for the Win!

Comment

If you ever get the chance, check out an Elmwood Modena 60. http://www.elmwood.se/
                              Absolutely killer tones, from country to 80s LA glam, it sounds amazing. Spendy though...

Comment

Working...
                              X