No announcement yet.

EVH 5150 lll...An Obituary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree about the 5150's, I've owned a few and they all sounded great, just not quite great enough (and I can't put up with the noise). The loop on the Recto puts me off, plus in the two years of owning my last one, I could never dial it in. Maybe it's UK voltage or something, but every ENGL I've tried has been awful.

I got rid of all my stomps and bought a GT Pro, so the next head has to have a great loop (series I think).

I stand by my claim that the EVH is the best sounding, quietest (sometimes too quiet) amp I've ever owned...such a terrible shame

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
      I agree about the 5150's, I've owned a few and they all sounded great, just not quite great enough (and I can't put up with the noise). The loop on the Recto puts me off, plus in the two years of owning my last one, I could never dial it in. Maybe it's UK voltage or something, but every ENGL I've tried has been awful.

I got rid of all my stomps and bought a GT Pro, so the next head has to have a great loop (series I think).

I stand by my claim that the EVH is the best sounding, quietest (sometimes too quiet) amp I've ever owned...such a terrible shame
      I was waiting for you to respond to my post. I have owned all the amps you mentioned. I am also a big fan of the 5150. The amp you want.. the amp you need.. the amp you will LOVE is the Soldano SLO100.
      The best way to describe it is:
      A 5150 thats all grown up.
      Basically.. if you wanted to make everything about a 5150 better.. and I mean EVERYTHING.. you would have an SLO100.
      All you have to do is have the loop modded by Soldano to be more user friendly. Actually, its alot more friendly to processors then it is to stomp boxes so your current processor could be fine.

Comment

Splawn Nitro would be my first choice of what is listed, JVM Marshall next
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronharmon View Post
          Randall RM100 for the win!
          There is much truth to this. I have an Uber, Dual Recto, Marshall, and an RM100. All sound great and the Uber is my favorite but the Randall is well thought out for the performing musician. Besides having the removable pre-amp modules to give you the most versatility, it also has both a series and parallel loop so take your pick. I have run pedals through the loop on it and they worked fine whereas my Uber will only play nice with rack (line level) effects in its loop. It is also easy to bias and has external test points so you can do it yourself instead of going to a tech. And, if you blow a power tube it has an indicator light that shows which one blew and at the same time will continue to work with the other power tubes so you can finish your gig. Speaking of power tubes, you can run EL34's, 6L6's, or a combination of the two in it. And finally it has a world voltage selector so you can play it pretty much anywhere. Its very heavy to lug around but a very cool amp worth looking at!
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

if i ever give up my rivera's, the randall would be the first amp i'd check out. those things seem really awesome - so much more flexable than my rivera's....which is saying a lot!!
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I love my RM100. I will probably never own another head (unless it is another RM100 :0)

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                I was waiting for you to respond to my post. I have owned all the amps you mentioned. I am also a big fan of the 5150. The amp you want.. the amp you need.. the amp you will LOVE is the Soldano SLO100.
                The best way to describe it is:
                A 5150 thats all grown up.
                Basically.. if you wanted to make everything about a 5150 better.. and I mean EVERYTHING.. you would have an SLO100.
                All you have to do is have the loop modded by Soldano to be more user friendly. Actually, its alot more friendly to processors then it is to stomp boxes so your current processor could be fine.

I've known for a long time that the SLO is THE amp, unfortunately I don't have THE money. Here in the UK the SLO costs around £2700 (approx $5400). I've never seen one second hand. I've played through one a few times (in the guitar shop, though still at floor shaking volume) and I was instantly convinced it was the one.

I've also tried the Randall RM combo, and have to say I wasn't impressed at all, perhaps the head is different?

Out of all the amps I've tried, the EVH was the closest to the SLO, though still miles away from it.

Comment

The Splawn is the route I would go.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                    The Splawn is the route I would go.

Yep!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well I've got a Soldano Avenger 50 and a Soldano 4x12...wasn't even on the cards, don't know how it happened...

Comment

Hope you like it!

Comment

Well I've got a Soldano Avenger 50 and a Soldano 4x12...wasn't even on the cards, don't know how it happened...

Well It should be pretty cool. I had a Soldano HR100 and SL60..I actually liked the import 60 watter better..it nailed Unchained!!!

Everytime I think SLO..I think "Blackout"..it sounds just like that to me!!

Good luck..let us know. Man, you've been on this merry go round for a while!!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

sucks bro.... I really like the tone of the 5150 III too... too bad their build quality sucks... probably gotta wait a couple of years when the improved models are coming out.... tone wise it is my fav. new production amp... engls or peavey 5150s are the last amps which sound like 5150III, I think a really well modified Marshall (ala Cameron) would get you the closest. btw. Have you tried Mesa Stiletto... It's way closer to 5150III than the recto.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

If you like that hot-rodded Marshall thing, I'm pretty sure you'll like the Soldano. Like I mentioned above, I love mine.

Comment

ENGL Blackmore same money as the 5150, and way way better sound IMO. (if you can do with only one set of EQ and a proper clean channel of course)

Comment

Working...
                                X