No announcement yet.

Q. for Bill-Z.. Marshall or Uberschall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have MUCH knowledge and exprience to share on that issue G...but I got the bubbleguts with cramping and bloating.

..this is gonna be a bad night!!!

..I can't eat beef stew..

...it fucks me all up..

...oh why me..

..I gotta go..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

beef stew in, beef stew out. sunrise, sunset.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        beef stew in, beef stew out. sunrise, sunset.
        oi..Oh man G..you got that right. Well I couldn't poop good for a couple days. I tried and tried and pushed and pushed until I saw dots...just pebbles that looked like Cocoa puffs. Then I ate a little beef stew..and It was like a shock to my colon. It was literally a single shotgun blast into my American Standard Cadet 3 w/ flush right system..great throne, I highly recommend it!

This is my fourth time now..so I don't think I'll be of much assistance tonight. Oh Oh..here it comes again..

I'll be back..prolly tomorrow!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill's gonna be droppin' lil' divebombs all day.. *WHEEEEEEOOOOOOOooo*

Thanks for the VH-tapes dude they truly rock! Hey wasn't there a story about your VH tribute band not winning some contest because the singer sounded TOO much like DLR? I seem to remember something like that but I'm to lazy to use the search function right now..
          "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Yeah man, Here's all of it, that I can remember.

Rich (singer) worked at Landmark studios. He wrote and recorded lyrics to Van Halen's "Baluchitherium" instrumental..which was fuggin' awesome, a VH sound-a-like original, and a video of us. They were very impressed but didn't get the gig because "You sound too much like Dave"..But they loved the lyrics and melody he added to their song ..so they bought it from him.

Oh, We heard Ed was pissed because our name was "Valeries Revenge"..so we changed it to Virtual Halen..outta respect. I didn't like either name.

In '97/'98 We were voted #1 VH trib in the Insider magazine. Then Dave's people contact us and wanted us to do a gig in Buffalo with him. Due to our jobs, especially mine we couldn't break off. Then he was going to come here for a big gig with us as his back up band, but that fell by the wayside. Then he did DLR with John 5 and that was a commercial flop. Then after Vegas he hooked up with The Atomic Punks when he toured with Sammy. We would have loved to do it. But our band broke up do to my wife being in critical condition in the hospital for 4 months...and both my singer and drummer were gtting divorced. What timing!

Our manager bought Mike's prototype fretless bass that I played at a few gigs..I have pics of that. I fucked up and passed on one of Mike's busted up JD basses. It was basically a case full of broken parts for 2K and I passed. I should have bought it...I could kick myself.

I have a camcorder vid of a show..the audio is good. I have it burned to DVD. I want to send a copy to one of you guys. There is some SILLY moments on there. Some chick pulls her panties off and chases me with 'em..that opened the floodgates for that panties I had all over me. My wife was there watching this shit..but she was havin' fun with it. Man, am I wasted on that tape..I do a pretty cool bass solo..I broke my front tooth playing Runnin' with the devil..I have a mullet..it was our 2nd gig out of a 100 or so. Maybe someone could post some of it on youtube or something. I don't know how to do that. Its by far the best VH trib I've ever see..and I watched them all!

John was at that show throwing ice cubes at me..I thought it was hailing or some shit. Man was I fuggin' drunk..a rare moment!

Oh, my stomach..ohhhhh man this sucks. Maybe I got the flue..

Comment

I must admit, after hearing the endorsement from Bill, I'm tempted to get a JMP-1.

The only problem is that I have never used rack stuff in 18 years of playing. But I've tried all kinds of amps and though they sound great I always turn to effects for my tone. I'm an 80's loon too I suppose. Mainly thrash and heavy metal like.... well, anything from WASP to Coroner to Anthrax and Death.

So now I'm considering just getting rid of the amp and going the rack and power amp route. Its a frightening world to an old fool, stuck in his ways. I also need something for recording as I will be putting a record together soon and dont have thousands to spend on recording equipment. I just want something to go into a PC that will sound good and I can do the rest.

The Boss GT-10 interests me because its just a USB. Ive never used midi for anything.
              I dont know. Whats the deal with Racks? I see guys wheeling stuff around that looks like the control console of a Star Destroyer and it puts me off. But if all you need is a good pre amp and power amp I can dig it.
              The JMP-1 sounds like it can give me the sound I'm after and its a lot cheaper than a Triaxis.
              All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Oh Here's that VH sound-alike we sent to Ed..http://www.clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/vh_track1.mp3

This is all JMP-1..no speaker mics, cabs, or poweramp...just a direct out.

Kinda sounds like Van Halen huh..that's me singing all the backups..how gay!

Man, I'm sorry..I've been living on the throne between posting here...oh my ass!

Comment

damn I'm sold. very warm/bold/thick/effective sound. I know why you don't need any stomp boxes now. I have read bits and pieces from several artist that steered away from Marshall looking for something only to come back and find that they had it all along.

Do I have to start another thread to inquire about the guitars and pickups or do you think admin will let it slide? alnico pickups and string size 9?

Good taste in music btw

You have probably already read this but I will post it anyway.
                  http://www.amptone.com/truesecretofamptone.htm

http://www.amptone.com/g153.htm
                  Last edited by phill_up; 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Damn most impressive VH sound both the vocalist and your playing/rig

Horns up
                    ///MK
                    http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Uberschall = Thunder
                      Marshall = Lightning

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
                        Uberschall = Thunder
                        Marshall = Lightning
                        Wow dude,

That's a fuggin' perfect description!!!

Comment

I thankee

Comment

Your'e welcee

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              Bill, I've been meaning to ask you for a while. You've stated that the 5881 version of the 9200 is the one to get; that the EL34 version sounds thin, nasally, generally not up to scratch.

I've heard folks say exactly the opposite about the JCM900, with folks going to the trouble of converting their 900s to EL34s. So what gives?
                              I hope it doesn't give you the shits again, Bill, but have you given any thought to my earlier question?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Sorry G..The flu bug is fuggin' my ass!!

Well John and I had the 4100 900s and they are pretty cool but a completely different animal than the 9200 + JMP-1..Even tho they're both Marshalls..its a whole different vibe. Either way Marshalls are not known for their low end. They are all crisp definition, midrange "cut", singing lead tomes, sparkling highs..I call 'em glassy highs..that really makes it sound alive when doing anything like pings, crazy divebombs and ect...even palm muted chugs really cut thry better than the Uber. Marshalls have a very cool edge when it comes to that. If the Uber and Marshall were at equal volume levels the Marshall would cut right thru it..but you would feel the Uber. To get as much "body' in the Marshall tone I require 5881s..they have more lows that are tighter and more focused than EL34 . Anothing thing is the glassy high end..the 5881 gives you that instead of a super upper midrange that can be a bit OTT with EL34s..especially in a Marshall, which easily can be obnoxious even when completely scooped. Marshall don't need any assist with midrange, they are based in it. What they do need is a better/tighter low end..great for chuggin' and a high end that has the bite. Not only do I get this with the 5881s..I also run a both sides of my BBE 422. This all goes into four 1960B(bottom) cabs for more chunk and concentrated focus..especially at ear leavel..its right there. POut that all in stereo and I have a tone that makes Speak of the devil sound pretty sedate. Actually I can nail that tone if I cut the lows and gain back some and use this chorus preset on the JFX-1 that really captured that vibe..it sounds pretty huge. All my buds that bught the EL34 poweramp bummed when they heard mine..its just not the same...actually not even close. I know Pete agree with me there.

EL34 work pretty cool with a drak "chunky" amp with a lot of girth..it just gives it more cut. Marshall don't need that..they cut enough! Sometimes so much it can make your teeth hurt!

Comment

Working...
                                X