I'm very close to buying an amp - JCM900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SiriusAbbott View Post
    ....uhmmm,no thanks,I'll stick to my modded 4102 JCM900,and my Ampeg VL1002....however,the BV can and will make an excellent.....
    ......doorstop
    congrats on the purchase,now turn that mutha up!
    You're not helping you know.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

You're not helping you know.
      sorry dude,but you know the difference now....and comparatively speaking,you know its the truth!
      you'll get your money back on the crate,i did

Comment

The Crate BV120 is a fine amp. Lots of pro's use them.

Comment

sorry dude,but you know the difference now....and comparatively speaking,you know its the truth!
          you'll get your money back on the crate,i did
          I know the difference now?

I'm not even sure what that means.

Comment

....uhmmm,no thanks,I'll stick to my modded 4102 JCM900,and my Ampeg VL1002....however,the BV can and will make an excellent.....
            ......doorstop
            congrats on the purchase,now turn that mutha up!
            The Ampeg VL series are great amps! Got a VL-1002. Only thing is alot of them seem to have problems. I've had to take mine back to the store I got it from twice to get it fixed, glad it was still under warrenty!, and it was used too! Daddy's music stores here in the northeast are awesome when it comes to returns, warrenties and repairs on the gear they sell used!
            BTW,..How are things down in T-town Ok.?, I'm orginally from there and the parent and bro still live there. Was down there last Dec. and the parents were still cleaning up from that big ice storm that destroyed everthing.

Comment

I know the difference now?
              I'm not even sure what that means.
              Jezus dude....chill out,all I was saying is that tonally and gainwise JCM900s absolutely rule as compared to BVs....if you cannot hear the difference then what was the point of the upgrade?
              The Ampeg VL series are great amps! Got a VL-1002. Only thing is alot of them seem to have problems. I've had to take mine back to the store I got it from twice to get it fixed, glad it was still under warrenty!, and it was used too! Daddy's music stores here in the northeast are awesome when it comes to returns, warrenties and repairs on the gear they sell used!
              BTW,..How are things down in T-town Ok.?, I'm orginally from there and the parent and bro still live there. Was down there last Dec. and the parents were still cleaning up from that big ice storm that destroyed everthing.
              Yup,the VL-1002s are a finicky bitch,but Lee Jackson knows what he is doing,just get all the caps replaced with something a bit more.....durable,use good quality tubes,and short of a transformer failure you should be good to go!
              as for Tulsa,well,the trees still look odd(more like punji sticks with leaves)and we just had a week of 100+F days,so I spose all is relatively normal.

Comment

Jezus dude....chill out,all I was saying is that tonally and gainwise JCM900s absolutely rule as compared to BVs....if you cannot hear the difference then what was the point of the upgrade?
                First off, the 900 isn't necessarily a replacement for the BV. The BV hasn't been my main amp for a few years. There's nothing wrong with the BV, it's just too close in terms of sonic footprint to my other amp, therefore I wanted something different for recording. I'm just selling the BV because I don't need 3 amps. Saying that they sound difference is pretty pointless isn't it. Obviously they sound different, they're completely different amps. As far as which one's better, well, it's all down to opinion. People slag the Crates because they've heard everyone else doing it, regardless of whether they've even played through one. The BV can sound really good, but you've gotta spend some time with it. Does the Ampeg sound that much different? It's probably similar in design to the BV since Lee Jackson designed them both. I'd like to see some gut shots.

EDIT - Maybe he didn't design the BV. I thought I heard somewhere that he did, but it's not listed on his site. The Stealth is though. I wonder who is responsible for the BV.
                Last edited by zeegler; 08-10-2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I wonder who is responsible for the BV.
                  I do not know the answer to that.
                  for the record,I owned 2 BV120s in the late 90's...I got them because I needed 2 amps that had a LOT of power(and that were cheap) as I was in a 2 guitar band(read metal)at the time,I also had the matching crate 4X12s to go with them....while they were loud,tonally they lacked in all areas,no nuances to their sound,the gain was lacking in detail as well.
                  so perhaps I am spoiled,I have owned Marshalls(MK4s,JTM45,JCM800,and JCM900s)Mesa boogie,sound city,fender,hiwatt(loved my hiwatts),laneys,peaveys,etc
                  the only amps that I despised as much as my BVs were my peaveys.
                  didnt mean to rain on your parade,just had to bash on the BV
                  rock on..........

Comment

Working...
                  X