I'm very close to buying an amp - JCM900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
    +1 on that man!, spend the extra money on a JCM 800, you'll just end up selling the 900 to get one later!
    BTW, I bought a 900 50watt SL-X with EL34's and sold it beause it didn't sound as good as my 800's with an o.d. pedal.
    I had several JCM800's. Great amps but you need a pedal in front because there isn't enough gain for metal.
    I also thought the clean tones were nothing to write home about.
    Now.. on the JCM900 there is enough gain for metal (just barely though) and the clean is outstanding. JCM900 clean tones are legendary.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      I had several JCM800's. Great amps but you need a pedal in front because there isn't enough gain for metal.
      I also thought the clean tones were nothing to write home about.
      Now.. on the JCM900 there is enough gain for metal (just barely though) and the clean is outstanding. JCM900 clean tones are legendary.
      I would'nt say that the JCM 900 clean tones are exactly "ledgendary"!
      Can't say I've heard anyone else say that! But they do clean up better than an 800 channel switching model I'd say, but then again 800's are not know for their cleans!
      The "Tone" is what an 800 is famous for! Used with a pedal or not.

Comment

Sorry John G..no way.

This SMOKES any JCM 900 IMO!!

I'm a known gainfeak!!! ..This has enough gain to do anything without a stomp...I HATE stomps!!!

It MUST be this amp..not the 2205 50 watter. I owned and A/B both side by side. The 2210 and 2205 sound similiar side by side at low to moderate volume levels. The difference is quickly revealed at louder levels. The 100 watter has more headroom, much more full bodied, better low end and a much "cleaner" clean channel since you don't have to push the poweramp as hard as the 50. Its all in the preamp..there is enough , warm, defined, and BEAUTIFUL gain on tap there. Sounds EXACTLY like latter Criss Oliva Savatage..and covers classic Van Halen tones with ease..without any effects, EQs, or BS. This was the last JCM800 before they went with the much weaker, thinner, gayer 900. Then was all downhill from there. Until recently..with the JVM and KK models being back on track., But I would take this amp over those anyday.

Zeegs, This is what you want IMO!!

See, I told ya opinions will vary..John is still cool tho.

But the 4100 still has that Marshall definition and "singing" lead tone..They're lamer that the JCM 800s.
        Last edited by horns666; 07-31-2008, 07:32 PM.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Actually, I would get the KK if I could.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            Actually, I would get the KK if I could.

Too expensive and not as cool as the Two channel, w/ reverb 100 watt JCM800 2210 model. Best sounding Marshall made for metal..right out of the box that don't require a stomp..

The built-in noise gate on the KK is cool tho. They should add to the JVM. Fuggit..get the JVM...used if you can. If you can't score a 2210..the 2203 sound good but ya need a stomp with those..ala Zakk Wylde..and many other bands.

The 900 is not a dog..but they are lame compared to the 800 in my book. The DSL/TSL are dogs...yuck!!

Fragle loves his 2210..and he plays metal and his other amp is 5150..and he doesn't use stomps either.
            Last edited by horns666; 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
              I would'nt say that the JCM 900 clean tones are exactly "ledgendary"!
              Can't say I've heard anyone else say that! But they do clean up better than an 800 channel switching model I'd say, but then again 800's are not know for their cleans!
              The "Tone" is what an 800 is famous for! Used with a pedal or not.
              In fact the JCM900 clean is so legendary it is a preset on the Line 6 Vetta and the new X3's. Its absolutely the clean that you hear in most of the 80's metal.

Comment

One thing I didn't see mentioned about the difference between the SL-X and Dual Reverb is that the SL-X really cannot get a good clean tone. I had one (just sold it) and didn't really understand that. It's not a dual channel amp, but it has two settings (like a rhythm volume and then you can boost the lead volume, but they drive off the same preamp). So if you're doing anything where you need a clean tone, it's pretty hard to get it with the SL-X. Dual reverb can do it fine.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Sorry John G..no way.

This SMOKES any JCM 900 IMO!!

I'm a known gainfeak!!! ..This has enough gain to do anything without a stomp...I HATE stomps!!!

It MUST be this amp..not the 2205 50 watter. I owned and A/B both side by side. The 2210 and 2205 sound similiar side by side at low to moderate volume levels. The difference is quickly revealed at louder levels. The 100 watter has more headroom, much more full bodied, better low end and a much "cleaner" clean channel since you don't have to push the poweramp as hard as the 50. Its all in the preamp..there is enough , warm, defined, and BEAUTIFUL gain on tap there. Sounds EXACTLY like latter Criss Oliva Savatage..and covers classic Van Halen tones with ease..without any effects, EQs, or BS. This was the last JCM800 before they went with the much weaker, thinner, gayer 900. Then was all downhill from there. Until recently..with the JVM and KK models being back on track., But I would take this amp over those anyday.

Zeegs, This is what you want IMO!!

See, I told ya opinions will vary..John is still cool tho.

But the 4100 still has that Marshall definition and "singing" lead tone..They're lamer that the JCM 800s.
                  I loved the 2210 that I owned. Actually, there are very few Marshalls that I didn't like. I have owned every model of JCM800.
                  If I was playing arena's or very large clubs I would use 2203's and 2210's but considering the places I play are MUCH smaller I think 50w is plenty.
                  I like my JCM900 because to my ears it sounds like a modded JCM800 or at least one with a nice overdrive pedal in front of it. Also.. the lead tone on the JCM900 REALLY cuts through a mix.

Comment

John, absolutely. Marshalls cut thru a mix better than any amp I've even owned, including my beloved Bogner. Other amps may have more gain, oraganic girth, and ect. But a Marshall's midrage "cut", definition, edge and singing lead tone is unbeatable ..IMO.

Hey, we all have are preferences according to our personal likes and needs. I'm ceratinly not discrediting John's knowledge or abilities whatsoever. People just have their convictions what works best for them from experience..and they stick to that for good reason.

We know with what works for us..because we been there done that.

That's why its so important to try these amps and you will come to your own conclusions.

Oh..another nice Marshall head I liked was my '92 6100 Blue Anniversary head. I think shredmonster scored one of those and is pretty happy..I think. He sure went thru enough 5150 IIIs, or was that Sean, I get confused..but he LOVES the way those sound!

Comment

John, absolutely. Marshalls cut thru a mix better than any amp I've even owned, including my beloved Bogner. Other amps may have more gain, oraganic girth, and ect. But a Marshall's midrage "cut", definition, edge and singing lead tone is unbeatable ..IMO.

Hey, we all have are preferences according to our personal likes and needs. I'm ceratinly not discrediting John's knowledge or abilities whatsoever. People just have their convictions what works best for them from experience..and they stick to that for good reason.

We know with what works for us..because we been there done that.

That's why its so important to try these amps and you will come to your own conclusions.

Oh..another nice Marshall head I liked was my '92 6100 Blue Anniversary head. I think shredmonster scored one of those and is pretty happy..I think. He sure went thru enough 5150 IIIs, or was that Sean, I get confused..but he LOVES the way those sound!
                      Yep... the 6100 is great. Everything about it.

Comment

The 6100 was on my list, and I still might end up with one those. The good thing is, these older Marshalls are only going to appreciate in value, so whatever I buy now, I can sell for at least what I pay for it when I decide to try somthing else.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                          The 6100 was on my list, and I still might end up with one those. The good thing is, these older Marshalls are only going to appreciate in value, so whatever I buy now, I can sell for at least what I pay for it when I decide to try somthing else.
                          Yep..old Marshalls appreciate..new Marshalls depreciate. It is what it is..

Comment

Yep..old Marshalls appreciate..new Marshalls depreciate. It is what it is..

+1

Comment

Well, I made the deal, and I'll be picking it up on tuesday or wednesday. I got a decent price on one somewhat locally, so saved a pile of money on shipping, taxes, duty and brokerage. It's the 4100 dual reverb. I really wanted a 2100, but couldn't find one. Plus, he's giving me a 15watt Kustom practice amp with it for free. That's cool, because I can give that to my son. He says the tubes were replaced, and the amp biased a couple months ago, plus he's got a cover to go with it.

I appreciate everyone's advice, even those who tried to steer me away. I know you were trying to talk me into an 800 Bill, and I honestly looked. I found a guy on Kijiji selling one for a really good price, but he never answered my emails. It was a 2203 too.

Okay, someone buy my Blue Voodoo now.

Comment

Okay, someone buy my Blue Voodoo now.
                                ....uhmmm,no thanks,I'll stick to my modded 4102 JCM900,and my Ampeg VL1002....however,the BV can and will make an excellent.....
                                ......doorstop
                                congrats on the purchase,now turn that mutha up!

Comment

Working...
                                X