Soldano vs. Vetta 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano vs. Vetta 2

My SLO-100 arrived this week, and I love it. It's great.

I tested it up against my Vetta 2. Soldano Model (L6 Modern High Gain) versus SLO overdrive channel.

I came away absolutely awed by the Soldano, but I also found a huge newfound respect for the Vetta. I've kept asking JCFers over the last few months how the Vetta models compare to the actual amps. I could never answer this quesion for myself because I either couldn't afford or couldn't play a high-priced boutique amp in my area. So I sold a couple guitars and finally took the plunge on a SLO-100.

Now, the Vetta model actually seems to have a sweeter sound than the Soldano, a smoother edge to it, but I think it approximates the Soldano really really well. The Soldano on the other hand seems to lack a few of the registers I hear in the Vetta model. After playing the two initially, I was actually thinking, wow, my Vetta can do it all. What do I need a Soldano for?

Then I cranked the amps up beyond bedroom levels. The Vetta still had a sweeter, smoother sound, but then something became quickly evident. The Vetta, by comparison, is thinner. The Soldano simply plays thick notes, has great tone, and is very musical. While I hear a lot of musicality in the Vetta tones, they are a bit thinner.

So, I guess I'm going to be playing the Soldano a lot more, but I have newfound respect for the Vetta. I've asked in the past about how Diezel VH4s compared to the Vetta models but people who have heard the two say they don't compare very well. I love the Deity's Lead model on the Vetta, and if a Diezel VH4 could do that but better, it would be my dream amp. So, I guess I have something to look forward to in the future, but I'm not going to part with anymore guitars.

Thumbs up for the SLO-100, thumbs up for the Vetta.
    Last edited by danastas; 02-11-2007, 11:46 AM.

Interesting comparison. Thanks!

Comment

Very interesting, correct and informative review. I agree.
      After being a Vetta and modeling player for so long I think the 2 real amps that I would like just as much as my Vetta are the SLO 100 and the Engl Savage 120.

Comment

I have a Vetta I Combo (upgraded to 2.5) on the way. Can't wait to see how vesatile this amp is...
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

After being a long time Vetta user I will say that the hardest tones for the Vetta to model are the Soldano and Marshall high gain tones.

Comment

I really need to get the 2.5 update...I have the Vetta I with the 2.0 update but have been lazy about 2.5. Everytime I think about getting another amp a Vetta thread comes along and deters that whole process

Comment

Originally posted by quakana View Post
              I really need to get the 2.5 update...I have the Vetta I with the 2.0 update but have been lazy about 2.5. Everytime I think about getting another amp a Vetta thread comes along and deters that whole process

2.5 is like getting a brand new amp packed with tons of all the features you could ever want. The wahs alone are worth the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                2.5 is like getting a brand new amp packed with tons of all the features you could ever want. The wahs alone are worth the upgrade.
                I wonder if these amp hurt other companies sales??? If the thing is as good as claimed, then I can't see why people would want to spend so much money on killer tube amps?? Why buy a Marshall stack when you can have many stacks in one amp? Why buy all those effects if there already built into one amp?? Why doesn't everyone use one??

I thought my Vox AD120VTX did a great job modeling many different amps. I also thought it was cool to build patches and save em like the GT 8 does.
                I'm gonna play one but does it really sound that good? I so I wanna check one out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                  I have a Vetta I Combo (upgraded to 2.5) on the way. Can't wait to see how vesatile this amp is...
                  I have had that exact amp for about 7 months. I love it and it's nice to hear how well it stacks up to the finest tube amps out there.

the word "versatile" does not even come close to describing all the tones you can get with the Vetta.

it does it all, any tone you want, any effect you want, in any order you want, with authority. plus instant patch choices via the long floorboard.

one just needs to be willing to spend the time to learn how to dial in the various tones one wants, and access all the cool features provided, and one will be rewarded.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                    I wonder if these amp hurt other companies sales??? If the thing is as good as claimed, then I can't see why people would want to spend so much money on killer tube amps?? Why buy a Marshall stack when you can have many stacks in one amp? Why buy all those effects if there already built into one amp?? Why doesn't everyone use one??

I thought my Vox AD120VTX did a great job modeling many different amps. I also thought it was cool to build patches and save em like the GT 8 does.
                    I'm gonna play one but does it really sound that good? I so I wanna check one out.

Dan
                    people are traditional and many people have a stigma about modeling amps. plus some people feel the Vetta has a steep learning curve to really get the best out of it and they are too impatient.

the Vetta is kind of like an onion, you get one and start using it and over time as you learn about it, you just keep peeling back layers of more things it can do and more effects you can use and how you can preset things.

plus no amp is perfect for everyone. I love my Vetta but I heard a Marshall half stack today that was godlike.

variety is the spice of life, eh?

but in answer to your question, yeah, the Vetta does sound that good.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

A properly tweaked Vetta can hold its own with any amp on the planet.

For that matter, a properly tweaked and powered XTL is a very powerful rig.

Comment

I have had three modeling amp devices so far. There is only one sound from my 5150, but its a great sound. I find myself tweaking and wasting a lot of time with those modeling devices. each time I find a great sound, I save it and then I'm like "can I get anything better" and tweak. that is my biggest fear with regards to modelling amps. But that's just me.
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                          I have had that exact amp for about 7 months. I love it and it's nice to hear how well it stacks up to the finest tube amps out there.

the word "versatile" does not even come close to describing all the tones you can get with the Vetta.

it does it all, any tone you want, any effect you want, in any order you want, with authority. plus instant patch choices via the long floorboard.

one just needs to be willing to spend the time to learn how to dial in the various tones one wants, and access all the cool features provided, and one will be rewarded.
                          Good to know mate. I am going to spend some time learning this thing.
                          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

i got to ask this .... would you say that a vetta II has more to offer than a GT8 combined with a seperate amp? Is a vetta more like an amp with a built in Pod?
                            ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL View Post
                              i got to ask this .... would you say that a vetta II has more to offer than a GT8 combined with a seperate amp? Is a vetta more like an amp with a built in Pod?
                              I bet with the right amp like the JC120 or something, the GT 8 is killer. Boss vs Line 6 effect for effect I think Boss is a better product. This Vetta maybe better then the Boss gt8 since it has a matching power section. If Boss made a head out of the GT 8, I bet they would compete very well.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X