ADA mp-1 I remember these from the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
    All the mods that I am aware of are to increase gain...if you find a clean channel mod, please share the source!
    Voodoo's MP-1 mods don't trash the clean tube channel like others do. I was never crazy about the MP-1 cleans anyway, I use a Triaxis for that.

Comment

I never understood why anyone wanted to increase the gain - have people not heard of Distortion-class pickups?

Seriously, I can dial in some distortions that are good enough for the harshest Metal you would ever practically need, and mine's totally unmodded (though I think the original owner I bought it from put in either Groovev Tubes or Ruby Tubes - don't recall and I've not opened the hood).

Wish there was an EQ mod to change the operating freqs, and a way to boost the clean volume. I'd love to have JC120-style cleans out of this thing.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        I never understood why anyone wanted to increase the gain - have people not heard of Distortion-class pickups?

Seriously, I can dial in some distortions that are good enough for the harshest Metal you would ever practically need, and mine's totally unmodded (though I think the original owner I bought it from put in either Groove Tubes or Ruby Tubes - don't recall and I've not opened the hood).

Wish there was an EQ mod to change the operating freqs, and a way to boost the clean volume. I'd love to have JC120-style cleans out of this thing.
        Newc,

Talk to Trace at Voodoo amps. He did the Deluxe Mod on my MP-1 a couple of months ago and it has some great clean sounds. (1/2 day turnaround) I'll have to A, B it against my JC-120 come to think about it! He replaced the Tubes with Groove tubes. They both have different values, so he knows what to put in them. I still use my Hush unit however to quash the noise after I stop playing, but the amp just sounds amazing.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I own the MP-2, that was a recording studio in Michigan's backup unit, nearly unplayed since new. I would say, it is easily 9.8/10, due to it having been screwed into a rack. First thing I did was swap the original tubes (which by the way were stamped "made in china") for a pair of Sovtek 12ax7LPS (spiral elements) & the change in tone was HUGE!

I have read, if you are looking for gain, the MP-2 had more than the MP-1.... stock .... , until you factor in ADA Depot's 3 tube mod and other mods available on the market, then they eat the stock ones like no tomorrow. I have yet to personally get my hands or ears on a modded unit, but, I have no doubts.

~k
          My gear can be seen here

http://www.myspace.com/kevinspeace

or here ....
          http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/kevinspeace/

Comment

Newc,

Ok, I did an AB comparison. I used the Chorus program Voodoo Amps sends with the modded unit. It's patch 96. I plugged in to the JC120 and the MP1 through an switcher. Using my EBMM Petrucci with the piezo pickups, I ran the stereo to both amps. The MP1 is running into a BBE 482 then my Mesa Boogie 2:100 power amp, then into (2) Marshall 1960A cabinets with GT75-12's.

It sounded very close as far as I could tell. I also took the BBE out of the loop just for grins. I'll have to play with it some more, but that patch 96 is one of the 10 presets Trace sends with the modded MP-1's. Pretty cool!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Hey Trace, always good to see you!

Many thanks Pete! How have you been my friend? How is everything going for you over all? I hope that all is well and good with you.

Let me know
              Trace

Comment

Wow, nice to hear from you Trace! The Deluxe Mod is sounding great. Lot's of good Marshall cranked tones and clean settings too.

I am so glad that it's working out for you and that you are hearing as we do (truly and sincerely).

It sounded very close as far as I could tell. I also took the BBE out of the loop just for grins. I'll have to play with it some more, but that patch 96 is one of the 10 presets Trace sends with the modded MP-1's. Pretty cool!

The clean tone you are referring to is very lush and I agree that it has a similar tone to the Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus

Have a great weekend!
                Trace

Comment

I never understood why anyone wanted to increase the gain

Perhaps I can help clarify; We do not add more gain to the stock tone as that would make for a very messy/mushy/noisy mess (just being honest--ha, ha). We remove the fuzzy/buzzy characteristics and then add more gain back but in a clear/articulate or defined way. By comparison the preamp feels much smoother, the noise floor is significantly reduced, the reamp is much more fluid/smoother to play on, harmonics come out easier, there is a lot more bottom end on tap (tight but fun to play on) and it feels more like a head than it does in it's stock form.

Hope it helps
                  Trace

Comment

I bought mine with the foot controller for $40 at a local pawn shop about 2 months ago. It looks a little rough but works like a charm and sounds incredible. I put it in a rack with a Marshall 8004 and it's a very versatile backup to my other amps.
                    Baldy

Comment

Working...
                    X