No announcement yet.

Poweramp for JMP-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played a Mesa 2/90 with a POD pro..sounded pretty cool..I helped dial it in for someone..

I didn't really get to crank it up tho..

Not too familair with the Rocktron stuff really

I see that Carvin makes a decent lookin' 100 watt all tube two channel poweramp ..it comes with El34..but is already capable for 6L6, in chrome too..$600 new..maybe something to check into..looks cool for the dough..

here it is.. http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...TS100&CID=GPRE

maybe someone here owns one..or heard one..
    Last edited by horns666; 10-19-2006, 10:18 PM. Reason: found Carvin link
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I played a JMP-1 for years. I liked it a lot, but I still think my Rocktron Piranha smokes it! I just wish the loop level on the Piranha was MIDI-controllable like it was on the JMP-1.... other than that, the Piranha wins hands down.

Comment

I didn't like the Piranha at all..

John and I both played it..nah..not for me..

The JP dudes love 'em..and that's when they sounded all fuzzy with Timmy

like I says...whatever works for you..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Speaking of which..Roy Z insisted they got their old Marshall tones back..back to the old school..away from that fuzzy tone they had with Owens..

anyone know what their using now..Intellifex I know that much..what preamp/Poweramp are they using since Rob came back..it's a major improvement!

Their recent live show on VH-1 sounded pretty good!

Comment

They still use the Piranha I'm sure.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:53 PM.
              Just a guitar player...

Comment

I use a Velocity as well in one of my rigs but, only because it's very light and sounds decent. I've A/B'd it with a 2:90, 2:100, and 2/50/2 and where as the Rocktron didn't suck, it wasn't anywhere near those three.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I have a mosfet that sounds really good, but a tube amp sounds about 10% better. However, the mosfet can be carried in it's rack with one hand easily (it weighs less than a guitar in a case) so I can put up with the lack o' tone!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                    I've been using Rocktron's Velocity power amp with my VooDu Valve for years. I've been complimented several times on my tone, which is why I'm surprised I have not seen the Velocity mentioned here yet. Since it's a rack amp it simplifies things a whole bunch. Am I the only one who likes/uses the Velocity?
                    I used to have a Velocity 300.. was awesome.. just sold it when I needed some $$... love the reactance dial on those !

Comment

I have the Velocity 100, and it's the older version with no knobs. I haven't noticed boominess, but then again, I've been using it for so long maybe I've become accustomed to it. I definitely dig the fact that my amp is a 1 space rack unit. Depending on the thermal requirements of your pre-amp, you could put together a simple 3 space rack rig (power conditioner, pre-amp, amp). My rig happens to be a 6 space rig because I also have the Intellipitch and the Hum Eliminator, and I leave the space above my VooDu Valve empty for thermal reasons.

I'd love to find a half space rack mounted tuner...

Comment

Having used a Voodu for years and loved it, the Velocity 100 was definitely a thought as it weighed so litttle. After always having ran it through tube power amps (Marashall El34 100/100 and now a VHT 2150), I trying to use the Velocity 100 just didn't fly. I really wanted to like it. I mean, carrying a 75 pound amp around is a bummer, and the Velocity would have been bitchin. It just did really have "the sound" I needed.

Strangely enough, I have an ancient solid state Cerwin Vega "Sensaround" amplifier, that sounded pretty darn good. But it weighs as much as the tube amps. so, no joy there either really.

Comment

Carvin makes very nice power amps. Hell, you even get 10 days to try it out to see if you like it.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                            Having used a Voodu for years and loved it, the Velocity 100 was definitely a thought as it weighed so litttle. After always having ran it through tube power amps (Marashall El34 100/100 and now a VHT 2150), I trying to use the Velocity 100 just didn't fly. I really wanted to like it. I mean, carrying a 75 pound amp around is a bummer, and the Velocity would have been bitchin. It just did really have "the sound" I needed.

Strangely enough, I have an ancient solid state Cerwin Vega "Sensaround" amplifier, that sounded pretty darn good. But it weighs as much as the tube amps. so, no joy there either really.

This is true..

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Carvin makes very nice power amps. Hell, you even get 10 days to try it out to see if you like it.
                              This is also true..

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                                ENGL power amps are INSANELY expensive! VERY NICE though. I'd get either of the 2 VHT or Mesa 50 watt stereo units.
                                I don't really know about the prices on the newer Engl power amps but earlier models from the 90's run as cheap as about $350.
                                I paid $300. for mine off Ebay about two years ago. They made a stereo 2/50 watt or a 2/100 watt both had EL34's with switchable Vol. and Pres. controls on both channels that could be switched either with a stereo 1/4 inch jack pedal or with a device like a Rockman Midi Octopus.You can also hook any Ohmage cabinets to them and they have a two speed fan and are only 3 rack spaces high!
                                The Engl power amps were way ahead of anybody else as far a features go, in the early 90's!

Comment

Working...
                                X