No announcement yet.

Poweramp for JMP-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I paid $300 used for my JMP-1 back in the late 90s.

Comment

Chad yes I run the Marshall JFX-1 in the loop.

I paid $699 for mine new when it came out in '96..I'd say anything over 400 used is too much, and it better look and operate perfectly for that price...IMO.

I must say I think the price of a new JMP-1 is high..for what it is..

But it is the only preamp I found to actually sound excatly like "Marshall"..not almost or sorta..

Compared to a Voodoo valve or Triaxis and so forth..I'd have to go with the JMP-1 hands down without a doubt in my mind..I can NAIL anthying from VH, Criss Oliva, Chuck Shuldiner and sound like Glen Sdrover on steroids with this thing..to the T!!

I think my 9200 w/ 5881's contributes to this..and I also run a BBE 422 in the loop for added low end "oomph"..I never used the bass shift in the "On" position..it muddles up a bit..but I used it without the BBE..but that was years ago..

Yes I keep the Input level of the JFX-1 about 12 O' clock..where it just peaks into a blinking red...not a solid red..that's too hot...you want it..where you're hardest strike just clips it with a short blink in the red.

The volume is all the way up on my 9200 poweramp on both channels..and I use the JMP-1 output level as my master volume.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks Bill, now I'm thinking about getting another one of these. I had one back in the mid 90s, and paid $300 for it. Dammit!

Comment

Pete, I had a bunch of metal veterans over that are in several known bands..

I was sure to blow them completeley away with my mighty Uberschall..that was my intention..

As soon as we started to jam..my friend, who is a monster player..wanted to switch amps..he wanted to play the Marshall..so I thought WTF sure..I'll play the Uber..that's fine with me!!

When I was playing the Uber..I was listening to him..thinking..Fuck, I want to play the Marshall..

That's a big NO SHIT..and you KNOW how I feel about the Uber..

We weren't playing any "80's" bullshit either..I was slammin' some crazy death~thrash over some insane blast beats..my friend jumped on it with both feet, and knew exactly what to do..which impressed me!!!

I was playing my Koa tuned to D and He was playing my 7 string..tuned to E with the low B..and he harmonized and followed everything I threw at him..I guess some theory does pay off..

It was a truly fun and interesting night!!

Too bad there is bad blood between my singer and Paul..they were bandmates for four years..that explains it I guess..

He's in a Band Called Dark Arena, good player..They are doing another cd produced by Curran Murphy..who does Annihilator..

here's their link..

http://www.myspace.com/darkarena

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Em, aye, I think in the UK, you should be able to get a jmp-1 for about £200, so i'd expect $400 or less in the US. As for VHT- yes! definitely great power amps. I used to use a marshal 50/50 el34, but the VHT is miles ahead in terms of sound and build quality...

Comment

I'd say a VHT would smoke a 50/50 EL43 Poweramp..yuck!

I don't even like the 100/100 EL34 version..

Comment

Yes any VHT, MESA, or even an old Peavey 120/120 power amp would be a better choice than a Marshall Poweramp. Marshalls are riddled with reliability issues (cold solder joints and hard to repair design) when "actually used" in a live moving them around a lot.

Man, as for the JMP-1 "nailing the VH sound...

Sigh... Yes, I have always said that you have to have the equipment to get the tone and you do. However, after a certain level in equipment quality, it comes down to technique. I honestly feel MOST ALL of the VH tone after you get some decent equipment is technique. The string attack and feel of that stuff is so in your hands it's amazing.

I have a pretty discerning ear, and I have to say I SO MUCH more get that sound with my CAE3+se really. I have owned a JMP-1, and yes I know I had a dud for sure, but I've played Bills JMP and ones in the store and am still just not wowed by it and would never own one.

Yes, It truly does do a damn good Criss Oliva, and Glenn Drover and lotsa 80s shred stuff. But they used solidish state stuff to get that tone anyways, so it isn't like amazing that it would do that well. It's probably better stuff than what they used in te first place. And it still comes down to duping "their" technique for the most part, nailing "their" vibe.

Yeah Bill, "veteran" Paul likes it, but that guy has played the POD dialed in horridly and other bad equipment for so long and I have heard his horridly crappy tone (that even you gagged on), and that dude has absolutely no credit with me tonally... At all... That dude has never ever impressed me with his tone except one recording where he used Bill Korecky's old Marshall in his studio that ran so hot thet could hardly use it. THAT was cool tone, haha..

Bro,
                The people that are digging that tone that you are all excited about are actually digging "your" playing style (which is very cool), that you get when playing through that equipment with all the squeal and dive bombs you do. Not so much the awesome tone. They are non guitarists and I find that most people don't have a hint of what tone is.

They are looking at YOU and the excitement YOU bring to the table. It's not the JMP, its you... THat's pretty cool dude... Means "you're' workin it. And that is kick ass.

The JMP certainly does have some good points, and I'd like to say it rules, but I can't quite go there. Yes, some good points, but your Uber sounds better to me and more organic and less processed. Hands down. But, I'm past that tone that the JMP brings to the table. It's in the past. The Uber is more up to date and cool to my ears.

Anyways....

I like the Voodu Valve a lot as it has brutality that the JMP-1 (and my CAE) doesn't but it doesnt have the life that the the JMP or CAE has. It is still a bad assed preamp. But takes a lot tweaking.

Anyways, back to power amps, you won't go wrong with a VHT or even a MESA power amp. Well built high end stuff.

Comment

Johnny, you are so right about the playing technique. It's all about the players dynamics, picking attack, fretting hand pressure, intonation etc.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It is a weird balancing act thing. Ya do have to have some usable equipment for your needs, but if it isn't in the hands it isn't there.

Ya know, like Bill complains about the Uberschall and likes the Marshall JMP-1. It is because the Marshall works better with his style of harmonic squeals and dive bombs. So yes, the equipment is important. But if his hands couldn't do it in the first place, he would be able to do on the Marshall either!

It's all a delicate balance of equipment and technique. One without the other may prove to be less than good.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
                      I have a Lee Jackson Perfect connection for the JMP-1 in my portable rack (Loud, easily movable, lots of headroom), but for gigs or recording, I prefer to run it with my ENGL poweramp (overall warmer tone)....
                      +1 on the Engl power amps!
                      I've got an early 90's 50/50 that is the best EL34 equited p.a. I've ever owned! I love the switchable Vol. and Pres. controls on each channel.

Damn!,...All this talk about a JMP-1 make me want to go out and hunt one down! Just the other day someone was raveing to me about how good they are.

Comment

ENGL power amps are INSANELY expensive! VERY NICE though. I'd get either of the 2 VHT or Mesa 50 watt stereo units.
                        Last edited by Robotechnology; 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Well thanks John..

The ONE thing I must mention I love about the Marshall rig is the consistancy. My tone doesn't not change with humidity, ear fatigue, or depending if we have a half or full moon, mood ect..This is the case with ALL of my tubes amps in the past including my mighty Uberschall..which is by far the best head I've owned or heard...especially with those Tung Sols..which remedied my only complaint with the Bogner... that "Honking" mid tone at very high levels..that's completely GONE!

It is due to this consistancy of my Marshall rig that has abled me to become a good player..by investing time playing instead of tweaking knobs everyday...for that I am loyal and greatful to the Marshall...like a good marriage, without drama.

I spend less time teaking the Uber these days and do enjoy it ...I got it dialed in to where I'm very happy with it..and YES, it it cetainly has a more , pure, and organic tone and has the bottom end of a bubblebutted ghetto hootchie momma..

Those "pings", squeals, and divebombs are just a big part of my style. Due to the diode clipping it does able me to do them with ease..such as a good distortion/overdrive box..or SS amp which Dime cultivated his style around..

That's why the 2210 Marshalls were my favorite because they put those diodes in the latter JCM 800s..a buit-in distortion box basically ..which allowed me to play that amp without the need for a stomp...which sound cool IMO. I had to slam all my other tube amps with a stomp to get my "mojo"..workin'..

I LOVE the Uber..don't get me wrong , you won't be seeing it for sale anytime soon..but there is things that doesn't cooperate with my playing style even with it's gain full tilt..I like to having that certainty when going for a depressed Satch dip..I want that harmonic there waiting for me..with the Bogner that is a flip of the coin..seriously..that's why I was thinking of slamming the Bogner with a Maxon 808 , like alot of dudes are doing including Mike Amott and so many others..they back the amp's gain off a tad for their main rythm tone and kick on the stomp for a boost/and tp push those harmonics over the top..

My Marshall rig get's the squeals, dips harmonics and divebombs EVEYTIME without effort, which conveys my style without limitations..I guess I could use that as MY Lead amp which I did on the demo..The Uber was used for the rythm track..for this very reason..

I'm still kickin' around ideas..like slamming the Uber's clean cahnnel and using both channels..I may be able to conjure up a lead channel via a good stomp thru the clean channel..like that Korg Hyper distortion , so that I can do all that stuff I feel essenstial to my playing style..it's just "my" style man..just like Ed...Dime...Zakk.. Kerry King.. Satch and Vai..ect..they want amps that work with their styles..Squeals and Divebombs are a HUGE part of their gig..and they've all used stomps in front of their high gain amps..EVH used a Boss OD-1 in front of his 5150..

I think you're a bit harsh on the 9200/JMP-1 in general, prolly due to that you did have a dud, and the El 34 version poweramp, which I never liked.. it's no comparison to my early 5881 version in tone..I had three friends icluding you with them..all of you heard mine and ackowledged it was better..I KNOW your VHT 2150 KILLS..this is fact..without debate.

I heard Tony's JMP-1 with His Peavy 120/120 A LOT, although a pretty good poweramp..my sound is better hands down..we both knew that immediately..and I'm sure that added to his ongoing pettyness and jelousy ...he still doesn't talk to me..over shit like this..which is gay..fuggum!

Yes it's prolly alot do do with my feel, and touch that makes my Marshal sound they way it does..but you sounded damn good with it too man..you were having a ball and put you in GREAT playing form doing Criss Oliva....

The way I see it my 9200.JMP-1 is basically two equal 2210 heads in one package..I actually traded two 2210s for this rig..because it sounded "better" than both of those I ran in stereo..I wouldn't have urgently traded if it hadn't..it was a no brainer!

My Marshall and I just "gel"..I know what it's going to sound like every time..how it responds to my playing.. whoever plays it seems to enjoy it, including you..it's very player friendly ..very lively and responsive..just a good, fun sounding amp..

No matter of it's history of design , quality and dependabitly flaws that you have mentioned ..many national metal bands have and still use Marshall Poweramps on the road..Megadeth did after he used VHT's..which seemed odd to me..they must have SOME road dependability..and they still make 'em after going on 11 years...Phil Collen of Def Leppard uses them still..he did a few gigs..

I know mine never left my house since I bought mine 10 years ago..maybe that's why I never had any problems with it..could be.

I was so tired of constanly dialing in my tone with every other amp I ever owned. Walking away feeling satified..just to return later and go WTF happend, then start tweakin' again..that fuggin' blows!!

Here's the deal..I LOVE my Marshall from day one..period!!! It's been my BEST friend after all these years more than any other peice of gear i ever owned..therfore I will DEFEND it everytime..no matter what anyone says...my Marshall OWNS..as far as not being "brutal"..I make Glen Drover's tone sound like tansistor radio, with that SS amp VS 8200.. he's a great player and all but as far as his tone..I KILL him..at least I have tubes and balls.

Me + The JMP-1 = BRUTAL..Even tho It can nail VH, Oliva's tone and ect....I don't play pretty sounding 80's stuff, that's for certain..we ALL know that!!

Lamb of God Plays 80's Mesa Mrk IVs.. I owned a Mrk III which I thought was OK at best..Slayer uses DSL..we KNOW what that's about..So with that said, You throw me and My JMP-1 in there and wouldn't miss a beat..in fact..It would be a improvemant..because I owned and we played those amps.

Hey John, the Marshall may not be to your liking, with your discearning ear and all..but I kick fuggin' ass with it...

Like I said..you gotta go with works for you and this works for me ..you won't see it up for sale anytime soon..

Yeah I agree wit the quality of the VHT, and Mesa Power amps..but my early '96 9200 has treated me like a devoted slave without issue..So, I can't praise it enough

John, One day I'll bring my rack over and we'll put your VHT/CAE and my Marshall rig to the test..In fact ..I'd love to!!

let's do that!
                          Last edited by horns666; 10-19-2006, 10:04 PM. Reason: I ficked up..so what..kiss my ass..: )

Comment

I've been using Rocktron's Velocity power amp with my VooDu Valve for years. I've been complimented several times on my tone, which is why I'm surprised I have not seen the Velocity mentioned here yet. Since it's a rack amp it simplifies things a whole bunch. Am I the only one who likes/uses the Velocity?

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                              It is a weird balancing act thing. Ya do have to have some usable equipment for your needs, but if it isn't in the hands it isn't there.

Ya know, like Bill complains about the Uberschall and likes the Marshall JMP-1. It is because the Marshall works better with his style of harmonic squeals and dive bombs. So yes, the equipment is important. But if his hands couldn't do it in the first place, he would be able to do on the Marshall either!

It's all a delicate balance of equipment and technique. One without the other may prove to be less than good.
                              This is true..my hands do it like nuthin'..I just wished The uber would allow me..

It's like fuggin' a chick who can't get the right groove going ..opposed to a bucking humpmaster..

I'd rather fuck a fun, decent lookin chick I can go nuts with..than fuckin' a total peice of ass ..who's kinda lame..no don't squirt on my face..no I don't want it in the ass, no I don't like doing that..divebombs.., fuck you..you ain't getting any divebomb..I don't like divebombs..:ROTF:

Hey I got the same pud with both girls..but one fucks me better than the other..

That's a good anology..that you would expect from me..

Comment

I used a Velocity 150 for a long time. My tone improved when I went tube (Mesa 20/20). The velocity was good, but it was a little too "boomy"... it had that weird reactance knob on it which only seemed to make it boomier. Maybe the 120 model (which is newer) is better.

Comment

Working...
                                X