No announcement yet.

Great amp for home and jamming with friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normally I would steer you to a Line 6 rig like a Vetta or a Flextone III.

But since I was at NAMM I think I'd steer you towards the Randall modular amps. They kickass, you swap preamp modules at will and there a ton of preamps out there. They are all tube preamps and poweramps.

I really enjoyed this setup. So much so that my Randall RM100 head will be here today. Since I ordered the head I've scored a number of preamps from various on-line sources starting at as little as $100.

Randall makes a bunch of heads and combos:
    RM4 rack preamp - holds 4 modules
    100 watt head/combo - holds 3 modules
    50 watt head/combo - holds 2 modules
    20 watt head/combo - holds 1 module and has a switchable boost

I'll be using it at practice on Thursday which should be a pretty good test.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Had a chance to try the 50 watt Rm head, today. It had the tweed and the Brown modules. I absolutely loved the tweed. Such nice, clean warmth. I almost drooled all over myself.
      the Brown module was a different story. I really couldn't get a sound I was happy with, out of it. The tones seemed a tad harsh in the upper-mid range, and I couldn't get enough highs pumping through it, even with the amp's presence control pegged. The bright switch change was hardly noticeable. I went round and round on it, for quite a while, till I finally gave up.

Sadly the one module I REALLY wanted to try, the Bogner XTC, wasn't available. You know, the funny thing, though, was the fact that I seemed to dig the dirt of this Randall RX120DHs, solid state head, than I did the Marshalls, and Peaveys, sitting right next to it. To me, it seemed to catpure the elusive "brown" tone, better than anything else there.
      Last edited by Racerx2k; 07-27-2006, 04:29 PM.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

I'm looking for a used RM50B combo, but it is proving to be a hard search! If I end up and get one I'll be going with the XTC and Blackface modules.

Comment

50 watt marshall with 5881's or converted to 6L6's. you cant get the SRV lowend with EL34's. add a pedal infront for the VH sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
            Isn't the Tech 21 supposed to cover those three sounds - SRV, VH, Boogie? I know I've looked into the TM60 and it has settings for these specific sounds, but I'm not sure about the 10. I just wish there was a dealer around to check them out in person because I would really like to try one out, and the Power Engine also (with my Korg board).

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for suggestions because it sounds like we're looking for the same thing. I want a combo that has a good clean, an SRV/slightly overdriven sound, 80s Marshall (VH, Ratt, Dokken), and a heavy Boogie/Engl/SLO sound. It has to sound good at very low bedroom volume but be able to play over drums whenever the opportunity arises (and not thin out). Am I asking too much?? Oh, and under $500!

So far, I'm considering the Spider II 1x12 ($199 new on closeout!) or maybe a used Flextone III.
            Well I may be singing a different tune now. I went to the local shop on my lunch today and played through a Vox AD15. It had some great sounds! If I buy one, I would probably go with a 30 but it sounded a lot better than the spider II.
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR
              Vetta Combo. Has EVERYTHING you could want plus its plenty loud enough for just about anything you could need it for. Seems like the Vetta 1 combos are going for around $800 on eBay.
              +1000

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
                Well I may be singing a different tune now. I went to the local shop on my lunch today and played through a Vox AD15. It had some great sounds! If I buy one, I would probably go with a 30 but it sounded a lot better than the spider II.
                I used to own the AD30VT, and have played the 15, 50, and the 2x12 (whatever the model # is). IMO the 50 is the star of the line up. In fact I would skip the 30 all together. I like the sound of the 15 better. If I was buying one again, I would get the 50. They are great amps though. VOX got it right IMO and you can't beat the price.

Comment

I have the Tech 10 also...great amp for hanging around and playing. I have started to try to learn more about other amps and working on getting sounds out of them on my own.

I have also have a Soldan Astroverb 16 pushing 2 1x12 Mesa cabinets. Great distortion, but not the cleanest amp.

Then I have a Carr Hammerhead. One of the most articulate amps I have played through. Great clean and great tone. Very unforgiving...keeps you on your toes.

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive II pedal and it sounds great with the Carr. I am also starting to tinker with a Mojo Vibe pedal to get some Trower/Hendrix tones too.

Looking to try another head at some point. Might try a Divided by 13 one day.

If I play with a band, I will need something more than I currently have, but for home, it all works
                  Monte

Comment

Originally posted by slayer
                    I think the Boogie Studio .22 +(+ part being it has the Graphic EQ built in) is very versitile and is small but strong. I have heard great things about this amp. Jack.

I own one, and can confirm it is a good amp

BUT, it's VERY, VERY loud
                    if that's a problem?

Comment

Fender Concert 1x12 combo. Some of the new Traynors too are worth looking into.

Comment

I can get SRV and VH in spades from my Voodoo VibroChamp...but you can't just go down to the store and get one...and Voodoo won't do the Witchdoctor mod anymore.

The reason we do not offer to install the circuit into VibroChamps is because we now have the 10 watt 1x12" Witchdoctor available, complete with a 12" Vintage 30. It is single ended (1=6V6) and also has a 5AR4 rectifier tube. It's high-gain and capable of lots of different tones but was design for home-recording (you can use it as a head) as well as an at-home practice amp.

Vibro-Champs: A lot of people have been asking if we can mod the Vibro-Champs so if it's of interest we can also install a JCM800 type circuit as well as a hot-rodded Marshall circuit into a Vibro-Champ as well as other things.

Have a great day guys!
                        Trace

Comment

Cameron modded marshalls-JMP superlead 100's preferably Kevin. If i had the $$$, it's no contest. At least for the VH tone. I'm tight with the dude if you want me to see if he can get one done for you in quick fashion.. let me know.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            Normally I would steer you to a Line 6 rig like a Vetta or a Flextone III.

But since I was at NAMM I think I'd steer you towards the Randall modular amps. They kickass, you swap preamp modules at will and there a ton of preamps out there. They are all tube preamps and poweramps.

I really enjoyed this setup. So much so that my Randall RM100 head will be here today. Since I ordered the head I've scored a number of preamps from various on-line sources starting at as little as $100.

Randall makes a bunch of heads and combos:
                            RM4 rack preamp - holds 4 modules
                            100 watt head/combo - holds 3 modules
                            50 watt head/combo - holds 2 modules
                            20 watt head/combo - holds 1 module and has a switchable boost

I'll be using it at practice on Thursday which should be a pretty good test.
                            I owned one for awhile, but didn't gig enough to justify keeping it, highly recommended, though. You want VH? There's the "Brown" module. You want SRV? There's the "Tweed" module. And so on, and so on...all tube signal, too! Definitely worth looking into.
                            Cheers!

Comment

I'm gonna (once again) stump for the THD Univalve with a nice 212 on this one. You can open it up nice and loud for jamming with a band, or use a Yellowjacket with an EL84 along with the built-in attenuator for quieter playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X