Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wanted to say that the BBE SONIC STOMP ROCKS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa
    i use the 422a as well, with a 5150. sounds amazing. from what i understand the newer ones are tailored more for professional PA systems than guitar set ups
    that is erxactly what the Barcus Barry people advised me on the phone..long ago.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker
      Ahem, I listed my BBE Sonic Stomp pedal for sale in the classifieds section a couple days ago if anyone is interested. I have also used the BBE 422A in my rack back in the 80's and loved it. As for the current pedal version, its a solidly built unit no doubt about that, but I liked the sound of my Uberschall better without it than with it.

Rudy
      www.w

ickedrocks.com
      +1000

My Uber instantly PUKES when it's anywhere near it's signal path..sounds like total shit with the Uberschall

some amps either LOVE or HATE the unit..

it's definately not a one size fits all unit..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The higher up the food chain your basic amp is, the less likely it will benefit from the BBE. Peaveys and Carvins, hell yeah it'll open them up. Ubers are already opened up. You don't need a tank of nitrous when you have a Saturn V!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I know it works with Peavey ..the 5150 seems to like them best in my experience.

It works fine in a Crate BV..I heard it wake one up at GC.

my Recto's and my Mesa Mrk III both hated it..

My Ampeg Lee Jackson VL100 Hated it..

both my soldanos hated it..

My Marshall likes it..in both my 2210, the 900, and now it's in my Marshall rack..it does well in there..when used in moderation..

my Uber really hates it..

So like I said..it' not a one size fits all unit..it'll let you know right away if an amp accepets the BBE or not.

Comment

When an amp "hates" it, what does it sound like? Does it get too "fizzy". I'm guessing it has alot to do with the high end of the amp, itself. You said the Mesas and Lee Jackson hated it, but amps like the Marshalls and Crate BV worked fine. I'm guessing that it's because the Marshalls and BVs don't naturally have alot of High-end fizziness, like around 10-12khz, in the first place, whereas the Ampegs and Mesas DO. I remember reading that the upper eq band on the BBE stomp pedal was at 10k, in which case, if my theory was correct, you would be accentuating an are that already is accentuated, in the case of a Mesa or Ampeg. Just a guess.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

I would have to agree with the above. my randall rm100 is real bass and mid heavy (with most of the modules) so it sounds great with them. the bbe does add a different dimension to the highs but also gives it alot more low end chugga chugga. i love this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                When an amp "hates" it, what does it sound like? Does it get too "fizzy". I'm guessing it has alot to do with the high end of the amp, itself. You said the Mesas and Lee Jackson hated it, but amps like the Marshalls and Crate BV worked fine. I'm guessing that it's because the Marshalls and BVs don't naturally have alot of High-end fizziness, like around 10-12khz, in the first place, whereas the Ampegs and Mesas DO. I remember reading that the upper eq band on the BBE stomp pedal was at 10k, in which case, if my theory was correct, you would be accentuating an are that already is accentuated, in the case of a Mesa or Ampeg. Just a guess.
                Yeah, pretty much..with some amps it will garble up the overall sound of the amp ...with farty lows and too much "sizzle"...even with the high or "definition" all the way down..

I immediately discovered that the 462 and the 482's have WAY too much sizzle for my liking..

The 422 series have a much warmer and more of a pleasant, natural sound to them..IMO

It's prettyt simple really..if you throw it in the loop it will either improve your sound or not..actually there is no gray area there..

some amps accept them and some just don't..

My Uber absolutely hates the BBE, I tried it a couple of times just to confirm that..and the Uber sounds mucho better without the unit..in fact with the Uber I find that less is definitely more..all I have in that loop is a G Major..the G Major is pretty damn transparent..The same tone is present with the unit in or out of the loop..

But my Marshall likes it..Marshalls are not bottom heavy amps at all..all mids basically and singing upper mids..so the boosted upper highs and lows actually help the Marshall IMO.. makes it more full bodied..

be careful boosting the lows..it can make the amp..such as the Marshall sound a bit bloated when boosted too much..you'll feel it and vibrate the room more..but it can really muddle up the tone..I keep the lows around 1-2:00 O' clock at most..any more it just makes it bloated....I keep the definition around 1:00..

Never put a BBE in front of the amp..that sounds like crap even with the 5150..put it in the loop..that's where it belongs.

Comment

That would make sense, as judging from the sound clips on their site, the Ubers seem to be quite sufficient in the top end eq range, already, as well as the lows. Makes sense about the Marshalls, too, for the inverse reasons that you stated.
                  About your comment of putting the BBE strictly through the loop: Funny, since I've read alot of people claiming to put it in front, and alot claiming to put it through the loop. I definitely agree with you, as you would most definitely gain larger sound benefits, going through the loop. Rarely, do I put anything before the amp, unless, of course it's a wah, or a distortion pedal, for solo boosts.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                    That would make sense, as judging from the sound clips on their site, the Ubers seem to be quite sufficient in the top end eq range, already, as well as the lows. Makes sense about the Marshalls, too, for the inverse reasons that you stated.
                    About your comment of putting the BBE strictly through the loop: Funny, since I've read alot of people claiming to put it in front, and alot claiming to put it through the loop. I definitely agree with you, as you would most definitely gain larger sound benefits, going through the loop. Rarely, do I put anything before the amp, unless, of course it's a wah, or a distortion pedal, for solo boosts.
                    yes exactly..the only thing I put in the front is my Dunlap 535Q wah.

But the loop is the only way to go with the BBE unit..I sure think so.

Comment

Well my sonic stomp came today and now I know why people say it sounds like a blanket was taken off of my amp. It sounds great especially at lower volumes it "wakes up the 5150" really nicely. Up loud it seems to add "life" to the sound of the amp.
                      The EQ in the loop was kind of doing the same thing but this is a little different.
                      Now I need to try running the EQ in Front of the BBE and see how they sound together.
                      Oh and it sounds Great with the B-52 as well. I was wondering if that amp would take to it or not and it did.

OK Bill now I see what you mean about these with the 5150's , they are a definitely a good fit.
                      Last edited by kmanick; 07-06-2006, 08:31 PM.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

"OK Bill now I see what you mean about thses with the 5150's , they are a good fit."

Like peanut butter and Jelly!

That's cool..

Comment

Bill, do you think the BBE will wake up a Peavey Ultra or? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                            Like peanut butter and Jelly!
                            Like toe and jam!
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by slayer
                              Bill, do you think the BBE will wake up a Peavey Ultra or? Thanks-Jack.
                              I would assume YES..it doesn't hurt to try..you could either demo a stomp..they're only a hundred bucks..if you don't like it just return it to GC..

But, I strongly urge to get the old rack 422 series version..I only paid 50 bucks for it on EBay and it's dead mint..they are prolly a little more now because players are catching onto them..especially the 422's..

either way you won't get stuck with it if you don't like it...they are a popular unit..right here on the JCF alone.

you will know if the amps likes it in the loop the second you turn it on..start with the settings on the low and definition both at 12:00 and go from there...

Comment

Originally posted by horns666

I would assume YES..it doesn't hurt to try..you could either demo a stomp..they're only a hundred bucks..if you don't like it just return it to GC..

But, I strongly urge to get the old rack 422 series version..I only paid 50 bucks for it on EBay and it's dead mint..they are prolly a little more now because players are catching onto them..especially the 422's..

either way you won't get stuck with it if you don't like it...they are a popular unit..right here on the JCF alone.

you will know if the amps likes it in the loop the second you turn it on..start with the settings on the low and definition both at 12:00 and go from there...
                                Thanks bro Jack.

Comment

Working...
                                X