No announcement yet.

What Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't hesitate to own one. I used to teach through a 50 watt AVT combo. I think they sound pretty good.

Comment

I actualy think that I have found the amp for me I just want some final advise before I decide. It is a Peavey ValveKing 100W all tube....

Comment

I love Peavey amps, starting with the older Ultra, but I don`t think the ValveKing will do heavy metal stuff as in Mettalica bro without help. If I were you, since you want new, I would go Mesa Single Rectifier or a Peavey Tripple XXX. Jack.

Comment

Aight slayer the XXX is a little pricey tho about $1,600 for a head and cab im not sure about the Mesa yet ill look into it, also which would be better for heavy metal.

Comment

since folks are recommending these amps so you can cop Metallica tones, I'd say both are good for heavy metal.

Unless they are suggesting these amps will get you 'Tallica's "Load" tones. Are you into country rock?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

I'll third the Carvin MTS3200. You might have to throw something in front of it, but it gets a good metal tone out of the box.
              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by metallica_eti
                ok first I live in the USA,
                1.the only transporting that will be done is to by friends house on the weekends and we have a truck or Van if needed
                2.my stage is more like just forming a band and was hoping to get the half or full stack
                3. I want a new amp
                4.I am willing to spend up to around $1,200 or less and that is with Head and cab/cabs.

I was hoping to get the "...And Justice For All" sound

thanks for any help
                I'd really suggest an ADA MP-1. Kirk uses one on the Justice for All album and Black Album (stopped using them when the business closed). They're great preamps. Then all you'd have to do is look for a cheap power amp.
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Marshall MG series amps suck balls. I promise you not long after you get it your fan will overheat and short out. These amps are notorious for this. If you want a badass amp I play the same shit you just mentioned and I have a Laney GH50L, they also come in 100 watt versions (GH100L Paul Gilbert uses these, and Tony Iommi's signature amp is pretty much a GH100L as well). They are great amps, if you don't mind a one channel amp like a Marshall JCM 800 2203. They sound great, with just the amp's distortion you will get more gain than you need. The only problem is without an OVERDRIVE (not Distortion, hence the caps, because Overdrive is what you want with a tube amp like an Ibanez Tubescreamer) you can get some great tones. I love mine and wiol never part with it, but you may not like it. If you do, they are faily inexpensive and more than worth every penny. I picked mine up at a pawn shop for $450 for the head and a 4X12 Laney cab. New heads go for $739.00 USD (http://www.guitarplaza.com/langh50watva.html). . Did I mention they come with 12AX7 preamp tubes and that each head has two sets of power tubes you can switch between? The powertubes have a switch on the back that lets you choose between EL34s (the tubes found in most Marshalls), or if you like 6L6s (like Crate amps). Happy hunting.
                  Last edited by KLNowak; 05-24-2006, 02:41 AM.
                  I would so snatch that up it if were 24 frets

I'm out like Axl Rose just before a GNR concert

Comment

Here's what you do...

*Get a good guitar, Jackson Pro series will do. Or other guitar of similar quality.
                    * Put in EMG 81 and 85
                    *Get a HD147 with a Marshall GT75 cab.

...You could get a Recto (or Mark 2-3) if you can afford it, but they are LOUD. DO NOT get a XXX or 5150, they will not sound like metallica, an ENGL Fireball thru above cab will work too, but it will be more like metallica on steroids

I had a guitar over here with EMGs in it and played it thru my amp...sounded like the black album after some tweaking. Played along with the record and there was very little difference between the tones, blended in perfectly.

Comment

Hey Bob, where you been?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Aliens kidnapped me...

I've been busy with other things but now i'm gonna start playing again. it's nice to come back here and see what has happened. My jaw dropped when i saw the DK2M...maple board and real duncans.

anything else happened around here?

Comment

peavey 5150 combo new is under a grand. (or should I say 6505 combo?)
                          I've been playing mine with a 2X12 extension cab with V30's in it and it's really thunderous. as loud as any 100 watt 1/2 stack out there.
                          Put good tubes in it and an EQ in the loop and you can get a good range of heavy tones out of it.
                          I freaking love mine more every day!
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

So, how would you upgrade your modeler setup???

Wrong place!!!
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

thanx alot guys for all of your info, but what do you think about the Marshall Silver Edition half....

Comment

Working...
                              X