Looking for some ideas on amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some ideas on amps

I have a VHT ultralead which I think is a great amp, but I'm looking for a new tone. I play KV2's with 85n/81b setup and love those guitars. I've had marshalls and mesas so I going to stay away from them. A lot of bands that I like have been playing with Engl Powerballs so I was considering one of those as an option(I like the tone, but I'm afraid if they will go muddy like a mesa recto). I have played a Bogner ecstacy in a store and didn't think it was what I am after. I see a lot of you raving about the Ubershall so I am curious about that. I play all kinds of metal except nu-metal so I'm looking for something versitile (very good, almost bell-like cleans and tight focused high gain that doesn't go muddy or flabby when stacatto picking or open chords and also something that will bring out natural and pinch harmonics better). I'm a tube amp kind of guy and want to stick to those. Also, what are your opinions of diezel and budda amps? What cab (speakers) would be good with a bogner, deizel, engl, or any others?

Re: Looking for some ideas on amps

Thats alot of questions. The Soldano SLO100 might do it for you. If you have the funds to buy an ultra expensive Herbert or an Ubershall you have ALOT of amp demo'ing to do. Asking our opinions on an amp when you have unlimited funds really isn't going to give you any answers.
    Go to the store and try out the most expensive amps they have. If you want brands:
    Bogner
    Diezel
    Engl
    VHT
    Soldano

If you have a store around where you can check out boutique amps you should do that too.
    There are alot of amp choices for you when you are willing to spend $4000+ for an amp head.

Comment

check out engl stuff, it's not really my cup of tea but it might work for you. definitely not as saggy as the rectos, and the cleans are always very nice.

Comment

A Powerball should do what you sound like you want. The Savage has more meaty mids so it's a lot easier to dial in mud & flub but, it could do it too with more carefull tweaking.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I have had the slo, and trust me it wouldnt be the amp for you. For your style of music i would say the uber is probaly the way to go, nice and tight and focused, not as much bottem end as a mesa rec, but plenty of it to go around.

Comment

+1 Uber!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I actually think you'd like a Laney.

Not as "High End" as others mentioned here, but I have an AOR Pro Tube 100w and I cant get enough of the tone. Four EL34's and four 12AX7s, it sounds really great. Its like a JCM 800 with an extra gain stage, more low end, and nicer, shimmering highs (instead of piercing highs, easy on the ears, but theyres still alot of high end.) I prefer my $350 amp to any multi-thousand dollar high end amp, and I could buy a Bogner or VHT, I just never really cared to, they didnt do the same thing my Laney does. I played a VHT Bulldog the other day, and was DISSAPPOINTED. (Ive been spoiled I suppose, by my Laney)

Its probably the clearest amp ive ever heard, every note is defined, and glassy. The cleans are glassy, and so is the overdrive, VERY unique. Its got a great twang if you use single coils, and powerful crunch humbuckers. HUGE Balls on the low end.

Ever hear any Paul Gilbert?
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=Paul+Gilbert

Thats what it sounds like. (He uses a GH100L, but the AOR has more Bass than that clip)

Only problem is they're hard to find in the US.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I played a VHT Bulldog the other day, and was DISSAPPOINTED.

[/ QUOTE ]
                I'd be disappointed, too, considering VHT doesn't have a model called the Bulldog. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They do have one called a Pitbull. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bulldog ..Pittbull ...whatever...

If either one starts to hump your leg...it's best to let 'em finish.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think it's subjective..it depends what your looking for..if you want a great 80's shred amp the Laney is PERFECT..Paul Gilbert/Vinnie Moore...etc

If you want a more girthier, heavier, modern tone..Iced Earth/Nevermore..etc..the laney isn't going to cut it...IMO

That's like comparing my Marshall rack to my Uber..apples to oranges. I like them both for what they do individualy..but its apples to oranges.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    +1 Uber!

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I listened to the sound samples on the Bogner site of the Ubershall and I was floored. I can see why you guys like 'em so much. The only problem I have is that if I even were to sell my ultralead half stack, I'd take a big cut. Even on ebay since they only sell for about the same as a triple recto. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] So I guess the solution would be to buy another amp when I have the cash.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      I played a VHT Bulldog the other day, and was DISSAPPOINTED.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      I'd be disappointed, too, considering VHT doesn't have a model called the Bulldog. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They do have one called a Pitbull. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      D'Oh! Thats the one! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Buddas have more of a vintage high gain thing going, vs the modern that you're likely looking for. I'd say Uber... or if you just need one channel, the Soldano Avenger!

I'm not much of an ENGL fan, to my ears they sound solid stateish, at least the powerballs do. *puts on my flame suit*

Comment

Gainfreak's Powerball sounds anything but, solid state Pete! It all depends on the right dialing in of all those darn knobs and buttons. Try a Savage 120 out if you ever get a chance, mine went over pretty well at last night's HOM meet.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

can you say..... "Diezel Herbert" ? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              +1 Uber!

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I listened to the sound samples on the Bogner site of the Ubershall and I was floored. I can see why you guys like 'em so much. The only problem I have is that if I even were to sell my ultralead half stack, I'd take a big cut. Even on ebay since they only sell for about the same as a triple recto. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] So I guess the solution would be to buy another amp when I have the cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actualy the UL head should sell for about 1600 to 1800 on ebay, price will vary depending on condition and wether or not it has the EQ. A triple rec only sells for about 1300 on ebay so there is a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X