Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice on 1 or 2u rack-mountable tube power amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: advice on 1 or 2u rack-mountable tube power am

Bert - the 2150 is 4 spaces and the Marshall 9200 is 3 spaces so if you are really constrained to 1 or 2 spaces they won't work for you.

I want to try a mesa 20/20 and the vht 2-fifty-2.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Marshall!!!!!!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Marshall!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, a marshall repairman drumming up business..

Comment

Yo Cleveland, I was talking with the local amp repair guy and he was telling me the older marshall power amps were really solid and reliable. They just started going to crap about a year or so before they released the new line (EL34 50/50, EL84 20/20, etc.). The 9200 I have works great and while it's not beat to hell or anything it has definitely seen plenty of gig time.

- Newc

Comment

Yeah, sound about right I guess. Bill 9200 still works after 9 years of well, sitting there, hehe..

I know the 9100/9200 is the same construction as the EL34 100/100 or 50/50, So, I'd have to have "some" doubts. Tubes mounted on the PCBs, and boards are laid several boards deep in them as well to conserve space I guess... Ribbon cables connecting boards... ugh...

My EL34 100/100 was fine till I started using it in the clubs... Suddenly cold solder joints started raising their head and stuff started frying in it because of that I guess. Seen the same in a lot of them too. My tech HATED them as they are sorta hard to work on because of the construction.

He smiles at my VHT. And has never had to work on it yet other than a tube bias.

Comment

Well, I'm going to pick up a 2-50-2 vht I think. I don't need 100+ watts of power to begin with and the 2150/9200 don't really start coming into their own until you get the levels to 1 o'clock and hit 'em with plenty of input signal. But they do sound kickass.

I'm trying to finish up my rack that I don't need. So I spent hours today switching guitars, preamps, and poweramps - it was a blast and it really helped me focus in on what I want. I just ran the preamps straight into the power amps for hours. There is nothing quite like an electric guitar pushing 8 12" speakers - even the clean sounds were getting the dog's fur raised [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with that amp at all. Most likely the best choice to make.

Comment

Has anyone tried a Carvin TS100? It's an EL34/6L6 50-watt a side power amp.

- Newc

Comment

And what about some details on the Boogie 20/20 or 50/50.

- Newc

Comment

From what I have heard of the 20/20s, they are certainly a good sounding unit I feel and are well made. Cheaper than the 2-50-2 and smaller. The 2-50-2 "sounds" better to my ears, but, the 20/20 is well known to be a great piece. For a small rack to carry easily, it would be great. If I could have one for a good price, I'd own it.

Might actually be a better choice if volume and space are really serious requirements.

Comment

Working...
                      X