I bought a powerball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a powerball.

So me and my brother split the money and we're buying an ENGL powerball, for a very reasonable price.

For now...I'm goign to use my carvin legacy Cab with it. But I think we'll probably want to try a different cab iwth it at some point. What do you guys suggest?

I was thinking about a VHT cab or Mesa...if I can find some used at a decent price.

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] will post pictures when it gets here (I suspect a week or so.)

Re: I bought a powerball.

can't help you with a cab suggestion, but congrats on the ENGL. i REALLY want a savage 120 SE, but just can't seem to part with the cash since i have never had the chance to play one.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Nice score...congratulations!
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

just IMO, but mesa cabs sound like ass. i prefer the sound of rivera and krank cabs

and i envy you. i really want that amp, but i doubt i'll be able to afford it in the next few years
        You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

well im the brother that helped pay for it...and ya..main concern is Cabs. wanna know what your guys suggestions are, Marshall B cabs, Vht, Mesa, Engl, Bogner..(not quit sure where to buy these...or how much they cost. But, if you have any ideas or comments..please tell us what you think, i seriously dont think our legacy cab will do justice

Comment

what's wrong with Legacy cab? it kicks serious ass.
            But I personally like Mesa oversize cabs the most.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Mesa Oversized cab + Powerball = teh shiznitz...the Mesa cab goes better with the Powerball than it does with a Dual Recto.

Comment

Mesa Recto's are good cabs.

I have four slant cabs, here's my order of preference;

Bogner 4x12 with V30's - Excellent cab with whatever amp I use with it. Rear loaded

VHT Fatbotton 4x12 w/ P50E's - Serious ball breaker with punch power, front loaded

Marshall 83 Modle JCM800 1960A with 75's - can you say classic 80's Metal? rear loaded

Soldano 4x12 with V30's - punch power but just an ok sounding cab, front loaded

These are only my opinions based on what I own. I don't tune lower than Eb nor do I nu-metal music.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

one more i was wondering about..was Splawn Cabs..they look very nice.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Mesa Oversized cab + Powerball = teh shiznitz...the Mesa cab goes better with the Powerball than it does with a Dual Recto.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been my experience too. I gig with my Powerball on a straight Mesa rectifier cab (the oversize one).

The sound is huge & I always get compliments on it.

I have heard good things about the Splawn cab with the Powerball.

Comment

So most everyone prefers..the v 30 speaker? what about that

Comment

Supposedly(this is all hearsay mind you, because I never tried out an ENGL) Powerball has a mid-scooped voicing so a v30 cab really helps the mids come through well.

Comment

Recto cabs are cool as hell..I prefer the ones with the 90's..but even the ones w Vin 30's sound decent in THAT cab to my ears..

it's the heads I can't get along with..

I'm partial to Marshall 1960B cabs..I got five of em..I like the 75's..they work fine for me...and I love the way Marshall cabs look!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I got my Uber on top of a Marshall cab..it kicks ass! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the splawn cab is the key to the powerball (or any amp i have plugged into it so far). my main rig is a powerball through a splawn 4x12. the splawn fills gaps that other cabs have. for example we'll take the popular 2...mesas tend to be a bit boomy at times and marshalls have too much midrange and not enough low end. a splawn cab pretty much takes those and mates them to the perfect amount of low end that never gets boomy but can get thick as can be if wanted or stay nice and tight depending on how you set the amp. the mids cut through great but aren't as overpowering as a marshall and the high end is just perfect, never too edgy and never muffled. Scott nailed it with these cabs, the construction is THE BEST along with the materials used and the speaker choice (eminence)!! i've owned tons of gear of the years and i will NEVER play another cab unless it's a splawn. i do still own a '79 marshall lead 1960 4x12 basket weave cab that goes with my '79 marshall jmp but i tell ya man when that marshall gets plugged into the splawn cab it wakes up like it never did with the marshall cab. this is also a good quality marshall cab before they started to skimp on the wood they use like all the blah stuff they make now. when i went cab shopping i had NO budget at all and was willing to spend big bucks for the tone i wanted. i looked at diezel, engl, mesa, marshall, bogner, orange, vht, rivera etc etc. the only cabs worth the tolex covering them were the splawn and bogner (although the orange was nice, still a bit mid focused like a marshall for me yet better low end) the splawn had a magic that even the bogner couldn't touch. go with the splawn cab and if you don't love it well, play bass hahahahahahaha just kidding.

-Mike
                            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

well mike..i think you should be a salesmen..cause..out of all the entries...you sold me to splawn...

Comment

Working...
                              X