Clear All

Re: Bought another amp...

what cab did you try it out with?
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Some Peavey cab - was either a JSX if those are out, or a XXX. I know it wasn't a 5150 or the cheaper peavey cab.

Pete

Comment

I run mine with a Marshall 1960a and I think it sounds great. I would start with controls around 3 or 4 because of the active eq. I rarely turn any of the controls past 12 o'clock when cranking it with the exception of the noise gate and the gain on the crunch channel. Occasionally I'll set the bass around 5.5-6. The controls are very sensitive, a small adjustment goes a long way.

Comment

I had one and liked it........sweet lead tone, really crisp and clean. all I can say is avoid the high gain input like its the plague.....i thought it sounded like shit......going through the low was heavy enough with out the nasty ass hiss. Also the onboard noise gate sorta works but if you really wanna clean up your tone id go for another noise gate aswell. Anyway i hope you like it....cheers!!
          www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Now that I could check out..my cuz is a peavy dealer...He moved his store further away from me...I must call him and visit him..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Man, I also have an itchy trigger finger for one of these. Man, I hope they aren`t thin and lifeless, I am looking for rich and bold with serious crushing palm muting. I also judge these amps using 9-42 strings, if it isn`t thick and rich with thin strings, it`s a [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] Please keep us updated Pete. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I had one and liked it........sweet lead tone, really crisp and clean. all I can say is avoid the high gain input like its the plague.....i thought it sounded like shit......going through the low was heavy enough with out the nasty ass hiss. Also the onboard noise gate sorta works but if you really wanna clean up your tone id go for another noise gate aswell. Anyway i hope you like it....cheers!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I always use the high gain input and I have no problem with noise at all, even when I'm cranking it. It's not dead silent by any means but I'd have to say it's the quietest high gain amp I've ever used.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Man, I also have an itchy trigger finger for one of these. Man, I hope they aren`t thin and lifeless, I am looking for rich and bold with serious crushing palm muting. I also judge these amps using 9-42 strings, if it isn`t thick and rich with thin strings, it`s a [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] Please keep us updated Pete. Thanks-Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack I'd make some clips for you but I don't have any recording gear. I'll crank it up over the phone if that'll help [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. How did you make out with the Raw Power LP?

Comment

I used to run mine though a 1960B, but I got a Peavey XXX cabinet for it. Kinda like the 5150, it sounds better with the matching PEAVEY cab. Peavey just seems to work best with Peavey stuff. After the cab trade, it was notably fatter and fuller. . .perfect. I think it sounds thin and lifeless on a Marshall cab, but on a XXX cab (ive never tried the JSX cab, so I dont really have an opinion) it truely wails.

Only thing I'll warn you about is go easy on the gain and the presence. The JSX, by far, has more gain than any other amp Ive tried. (MORE than the 5150, I belive, and its much more useable)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I used to run mine though a 1960B, but I got a Peavey XXX cabinet for it. Kinda like the 5150, it sounds better with the matching PEAVEY cab. Peavey just seems to work best with Peavey stuff. After the cab trade, it was notably fatter and fuller. . .perfect. I think it sounds thin and lifeless on a Marshall cab, but on a XXX cab (ive never tried the JSX cab, so I dont really have an opinion) it truely wails.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too when I first got the Marshall cab but after playing around with the presence, resonance, and eq I got it sounding really good. I'll have to try it out with an XXX cab again. I tried one out in the store with an XXX cab about 7 months ago so I can't really compare. When Crusher gets back from vacation I'll have to do some experimenting with his cab.

Comment

Working...
                      X