Whats wrong with my 5150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats wrong with my 5150?

Hey all, Im pretty sure you get enough questions about 5150’s but, well I really have no excuse when it gets down to it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I went to audition for a band, the other guitarist had a 5150II, exactly the same head/cab as mine and it sounded KILLER, nothing like mine at all. Hes using the stock peavey fitted tubes, same as me. Ive never liked the sound mine produces, no presence and quite thin and harsh. This guy’s sounded like a completely different amp. He ran an ibanez with Duncan custom 5’s, one of my guitars is similar with an invader.

Wanted to run it past you experts before I went out and replaced all the tubes. Thanks

Re: Whats wrong with my 5150?

sounds like the tubes to me.

or the fact it's a Peavey [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Its definetly the tubes , go get some jj tubes , they will make the other guys 5150 sound like pure crap.

Comment

definitely
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Amps vary between each other just like guitars, as do tubes.

Comment

What are jj tubes? I was looking for a beefy rhythm tone, tuned kinda low. Sort of like machine head's first album, but warmer. Is that what I should get?

Comment

he wasn't running an EQ in the loop? A few folks around here have recommended that to 5150 users. Put a GE7 in there and tweak your sound. Someone even posted their recommended settings on the old JCF. I tried the dude's EQ settings in the loop of my Laney combo and quite liked the results.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Tubes. Weak tubes will give you less bass response, less treble, less tone, and plainly less balls.
                Get it re-tubed and biased.
                Gil

Comment

It's possible that it's the settings on your amp. Are u running your head staight thru the guitar? Are u running any fx thru the fxloop (even thru the front)? This can all effect your sound. I'm just guessing here but if your heavely cutting the mids and pushing your low end and high then theres the problem. Try setting ur amp settings on noon and adjust from there. I kno u didn't say anything about ur settings but just in case. Id rather u try the settings our 1st then go shell out some cash for tubes u MAY not need

Keep us updated.

Comment

nup, dry straight into the head. Thats what burns me up. I have no business sounding so bad when I pretty much hocked every organ i have two of to get that amp.

Oh, yes and Ive pretty much tweaked this beatch every which way it can go, no joy im afraid [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Does anyone have suggestions for quality tubes i can check out? Im more interested in heavy rhythm tones than lead

[ August 15, 2003, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: greshaki ]

Comment

DId you buy the amp New or Used? If you got it used did u ask they seller how long ago he replaced the tubes? I replaced the tubes when i got mine used (5150 block letters w/matching cab for $600 even).

www.eurotubes.com

go there. ready up about the jj tubes. cool info about the 5150.

Once u get the tubes replaced. Get ur self a Boss Ge-7. those things are cool. I can post up settings if ur intrested

Comment

I run Svetlanna Groove Tubes in mine. I also run the Ge-7 in the loop along with a NS-2. I dont know my settings but it sounds good. I am running the stock 12ax7's. I sometimes switch my tubes to a set of Boogie 454's but it sounds great with both so...

Comment

When I bought my 1993 VHT Pittbull, it sounded great, but I didn`t get it biased for about a year. Now it is biased and I went with the EH EL34 Big Bottle tubes and she is a Godzilla monster now, more headrtoom and much more rounder sounding. Anyone else use the EL34 Big Bottle tubes, I think they are great, I went with them on just a whim and am very happy I did [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

5150 is a great amp for Hard Rock/Heavy Metal.
                            I love the way it sounds. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Ive been phoning around and the only tubes that people tend to stock here are sovteks (besides the generic fender ones). Are these any good?

Comment

Working...
                              X