NAD and you will never guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    Most of the ones that have any type of distortion or gain are muffled and have way too many effects. Also.. the factory didn't even make sure the level on each factory patch is consistent. Some are normal volume and some are so loud you could break glass.
    I've noticed that. I've placed something in most of the User presets, but a few are still what was originally there. I'll be scrolling through them, suddenly land on one that's still the factory setting and BAM! The volume is blowing the walls away.

And yeah, they're way too processed.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      I've noticed that. I've placed something in most of the User presets, but a few are still what was originally there. I'll be scrolling through them, suddenly land on one that's still the factory setting and BAM! The volume is blowing the walls away.

And yeah, they're way too processed.
      I have been diving into Line 6 Edit. I upgraded the software to 2.5 and have been working on the EQ's a lot with the amp models. I can honestly say that with the proper knowledge its possible to get a huge variety of amp tones out of the Vetta. I am fairly stoked about this. Over the weekend I am going to rip it all apart and replace the internal battery. I bought a new one with the contacts already attached to it. I figure it has to be about time. The amp is 10 years old and it still has the original internal battery which is supposed to last between 6 and 10 years. The battery is what retains the memory.

Comment

I have been diving into Line 6 Edit. I upgraded the software to 2.5 and have been working on the EQ's a lot with the amp models. I can honestly say that with the proper knowledge its possible to get a huge variety of amp tones out of the Vetta. I am fairly stoked about this. Over the weekend I am going to rip it all apart and replace the internal battery. I bought a new one with the contacts already attached to it. I figure it has to be about time. The amp is 10 years old and it still has the original internal battery which is supposed to last between 6 and 10 years. The battery is what retains the memory.
        I've had mine about seven years and it concerns me. I need to hook up the MIDI cable and install Line 6 Monkey again so I can save my settings. It's a bit of a hassle. This thing desperately needs a USB port.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
          I've had mine about seven years and it concerns me. I need to hook up the MIDI cable and install Line 6 Monkey again so I can save my settings. It's a bit of a hassle. This thing desperately needs a USB port.
          Yea, I bought the USB to Midi interface that they recommend. Its the M-Audio Uno. Here is a little tip. If you have user patches saved you won't be able to save them unless you have the Vetta to version 2.5. According to the manual and the tutorial online it will state that you will lose all of your factory and user patches when you do the upgrade from 2.03 to 2.5. THIS IS NOT TRUE. There is a prompt that asks you if you want to keep all your original patches. Just respond yes and do the upgrade from 2.03 to 2.5. Once this is done you can open Line 6 Edit and save all of your patches on your PC. This way.. when you replace the battery you can just load them back in. I got the battery on Ebay. It was around $6.00 shipped.
          I may replace the grill cloth with a metal grill and install some kind of metal grill on the back of my combo to protect it when its being transported to shows. Either that or I will buck up and buy a road case with wheels for it. This is all assuming it works out good at the next few gigs.
          Because its an open back I am worried that a speaker could get punctured.

Comment

Yea, I bought the USB to Midi interface that they recommend. Its the M-Audio Uno. Here is a little tip. If you have user patches saved you won't be able to save them unless you have the Vetta to version 2.5. According to the manual and the tutorial online it will state that you will lose all of your factory and user patches when you do the upgrade from 2.03 to 2.5. THIS IS NOT TRUE. There is a prompt that asks you if you want to keep all your original patches. Just respond yes and do the upgrade from 2.03 to 2.5. Once this is done you can open Line 6 Edit and save all of your patches on your PC. This way.. when you replace the battery you can just load them back in. I got the battery on Ebay. It was around $6.00 shipped.
            I may replace the grill cloth with a metal grill and install some kind of metal grill on the back of my combo to protect it when its being transported to shows. Either that or I will buck up and buy a road case with wheels for it. This is all assuming it works out good at the next few gigs.
            Because its an open back I am worried that a speaker could get punctured.
            Mine is the Vetta II HD head, so it was already 2.5 when I got it. I just need to backup my patches at some point. I won't bother replacing it until I have to, though.

Comment

I wonder if the battery ever even goes bad on these amps. The factory states a 6-10 year life but you rarely hear about them losing their ability to store patches. In any case.. if the amp isn't played live and the patches are backed up on a PC it really wouldn't matter as much. I intend on using it live and if the battery decided to die that wouldn't be a good thing.

Comment

I wonder if the battery ever even goes bad on these amps. The factory states a 6-10 year life but you rarely hear about them losing their ability to store patches. In any case.. if the amp isn't played live and the patches are backed up on a PC it really wouldn't matter as much. I intend on using it live and if the battery decided to die that wouldn't be a good thing.
                I bought a used Flextone II last year that had a dead battery. The amp was so simple that I could dial in my sound within about 10 seconds, but that still sucked.

Comment

I replaced a battery in a Roland GP-8 after about 15 years. I was happily surprised that all of the patches stayed intact after the swap. I had all of the patches copied to paper, but didn't need it. Don't know how this worked, but it did.

Comment

It's like some universal remotes. The good ones save for a few mins while you swap batteries. Don't take too long doing it though.
                    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

This one will take longer to swap. I have to take circuit boards off and then I have to unsolder the battery and solder a new one in. Doesn't matter if the memory goes during it because I have my patches backed up on my laptop with Line 6 Edit.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                        I replaced a battery in a Roland GP-8 after about 15 years. I was happily surprised that all of the patches stayed intact after the swap. I had all of the patches copied to paper, but didn't need it. Don't know how this worked, but it did.
                        A lot of times they add a capacitor to hold a charge for a couple of minutes when the battery is disconnected.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Been jamming on this amp for a few weeks now. Used it at rehearsal several times. I am liking it. Its very "pleasing" sounding. The guys in the band think it sounds fantastic. I am not completely sold on it.
                          The weird thing about it is my ears think it sounds great. My fingers... not so much.
                          It feels like I am disconnected from the amp, the same way I feel when I am in the studio with headphones on recording guitar tracks.

Comment

Been jamming on this amp for a few weeks now. Used it at rehearsal several times. I am liking it. Its very "pleasing" sounding. The guys in the band think it sounds fantastic. I am not completely sold on it.
                            The weird thing about it is my ears think it sounds great. My fingers... not so much.
                            It feels like I am disconnected from the amp, the same way I feel when I am in the studio with headphones on recording guitar tracks.
                            The same thing that has been griped about with L6 stuff since the day it came out. Nothing new to see here. That's modeling.

Comment

point the 4x12 backwards if not intending to melt the faces on your side of the stage

I tend to agree with John that you can make pretty much anything sound good....although I'm not gigging I can crank all my amps fairly loud but still sound good at lower levels. ya'll know I have good amps, I like to practice unplugged and I find if I do 3-4 days of playing unplugged it takes me awhile to get used the feel of an amp back so I decide to practice through a cheap ass 75 dollar Charvel combo I had laying around for years with an 8inch speaker....it sounds really good for what it is and I could probably mic it and get away with it live LOL
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

UPDATE AFTER 18 months of playing with this amp its still cool as heck. Its even cooler now that its considered a vintage amp!!! Its so much fun dialing up and tweaking just about every amp on the planet. Still...

Comment

Working...
                                X