Ditched the Splawn Quick Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
    Sorry you have a bad experience with the QR, not all amps are for everyone. I haven't tried their newer stuff but I have one of the first QR's with the shared QR and no gears...nice amp and moderate to loud levels, not too bad lower either for me.
    Thanks. I really wish I had stuck with my original plan of holding out until one showed up on GC's Used Gear site. Then I could have bought it with no worries.

But, we live and learn and I certainly will internalize this lesson.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      In my original threads about Splawn, I really wanted to get a used Quick Rod from GC because of their return policy. That offers some protection in case it doesn't work out. But nothing ever showed up for over a month, I found a deal elsewhere, and took it. Huge mistake, and I do mean HUGE.

A lot of people keep recommending Mesa. They haven't really grabbed me in the past, but I have limited experience with them. I have to admit that the Stiletto sounds good in the videos I've watched. My local GC doesn't carry anything by them in the store. I might explore them further.

I used my Vetta live (mic'ed) to perform the national anthem a couple of times and it sounded great. However..... I doubt I would even try it with a band around me because I doubt that it would cut through very well. Even if it did I don't think it would sound that great.
      My friend bought a Stilleto and quickly realized that a Mesa trying to be a Marshall didn't work well. He is a tech and ended up modding it at the time. Mesa had I believe what was called a Hollywood mod. Anyway, it sounded really flubby and he ended up reversing the mod back to stock then later sold the amp off. The distortion channel just wasn't so great.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
        My friend bought a Stilleto and quickly realized that a Mesa trying to be a Marshall didn't work well. He is a tech and ended up modding it at the time. Mesa had I believe what was called a Hollywood mod. Anyway, it sounded really flubby and he ended up reversing the mod back to stock then later sold the amp off. The distortion channel just wasn't so great.
        Interesting. I didn't realize that the Stiletto was a Marshall-esque type of sound.

Comment

yeah, when mesa released the stiletto it was advertised as their version of "british". it was not that good. if you like the marshall sound, get a marshall!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I think in one of the several revisions of the Stiletto it did wind up sounding great, I really dug the one I played, but I'm not sure which version it was
            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Andy Timmons combines one of the Stilettos (Deuce or Ace?) and the Lonestar in his rig

obviously not the super high gain type of amp Powertube is seeking, but it does get pretty hairy on his Groove or Die clips
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

I went thru that with a Mesa Heartbreaker head.Everybody raved about how great they sounded.
                I found one for a decent price and found it to be a dark and overly flubby mid range amp.I got lucky and flipped it to a guy that loves them @ yes his tone sucked live.
                Splawns never floated my boat either to be honest.
                Hope you find something that suits you.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  I went thru that with a Mesa Heartbreaker head.Everybody raved about how great they sounded.
                  I found one for a decent price and found it to be a dark and overly flubby mid range amp.I got lucky and flipped it to a guy that loves them @ yes his tone sucked live.
                  Splawns never floated my boat either to be honest.
                  Hope you find something that suits you.
                  Thanks. That's the hazard of ever buying an amp sight-unseen. Sometimes the opinions of others reflect mine, and sometimes they don't. This reinforces what I've been saying for a long time: never buy an amp I haven't tried out. But once again, I broke that rule and paid the price.

Comment

Being you're a L6 guy, have you eveer tried the DT series of amps? Might be worth a look. I really liked mine, and when you "upgrade" the firmware, you have access to all the HD models available on the HD Pod series. That'll get you into the tubezz amps world, while still keeping a foot in the world you already know you like and can work with.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                      Being you're a L6 guy, have you eveer tried the DT series of amps? Might be worth a look. I really liked mine, and when you "upgrade" the firmware, you have access to all the HD models available on the HD Pod series. That'll get you into the tubezz amps world, while still keeping a foot in the world you already know you like and can work with.
                      Well, it would be more accurate to say that I'm an "early L6 guy." I don't like anything really past the Flextone II, except for the Vetta.

I've owned a Marshall JCM 800 and a Carvin X100B, as mentioned above. I'm ready for tubes again.

Comment

So...did you try the DT?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          So...did you try the DT?
                          No. I appreciate the suggestion but I really have my heart set on another tube amp. I might keep the Vetta rig, at least for a while, but honestly, I'm getting "Marshall fever." I got sidetracked briefly with Splawn, made a mistake, and now I want to make it right. I just need to find the right Marshall for me.

Comment

Really happy I picked up a 85 2205 Marshall it really is a great JCM 800 model.
                            I like the JVM's a lot too.They get dogged a lot but I think they sound damn good.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                              No. I appreciate the suggestion but I really have my heart set on another tube amp. I might keep the Vetta rig, at least for a while, but honestly, I'm getting "Marshall fever." I got sidetracked briefly with Splawn, made a mistake, and now I want to make it right. I just need to find the right Marshall for me.
                              The Line 6 DT's are tube, which is likely why he is suggesting them.

You get the options of Line 6, but still tube driven
                              Out Of Ideas

Comment

plus, isn't the DT designed by Bogner? I know the Alchemist was - but what about the DT?
                                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X