best amp for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
    THE hidden gem is the Peavey XXX. Killer amp, and no more than $400 used. I call it The Poor Mans Recto, except it has usable mids.
    I agree 100%. My Triple X has officially retired my Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier half stack. Its just not necessary to lug that half stack around anymore.
    My metal rig live consists of: (and I get nothing but compliments from other metal players on my tone).

Peavey Triple XXX 60w 1 x 12 combo. Its the first year original model
    Rocktron Cyborg Digitial Destiny delay and a BBE Sonic stomp in the loop. Both are always on. They sit on the top of the combo.
    Out in front I have the 3 button Peavey footswitch, a chorus pedal and my Morley switchless optical wah pedal. That's it. I run it unmic'd for small shows and I mic it for large ones. It sounds amazing. Clean is great, rhythm and lead channels (crunch and Ultra) are both good enough to be used as rhythm or lead channels. I happen to use the red channel for rhythm and the yellow channel for lead which is opposite of how most use it.
    Its an amazing amp. Especially with the BBE in the loop.

Comment

john, when did you retire the recto? what brought you to that?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

John: What about the Rivera? That was short lived, wasn't it? Seems like you mentioned why you quit using it, but I can't remember for sure. Tried to do a search, but this forum isn't working well.

Comment

the rivera was too shrill sounding live. the rectifier sounds great but not that much better than this small portable rig. i used the triple x combo for about 10 shows over the years and the only issue i had with it was lack of thump. the bbe sonic stomp solved that.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            the rivera was too shrill sounding live. the rectifier sounds great but not that much better than this small portable rig. i used the triple x combo for about 10 shows over the years and the only issue i had with it was lack of thump. the bbe sonic stomp solved that.
            Which Rivera did you have?
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I happen to use the red channel for rhythm and the yellow channel for lead which is opposite of how most use it.
              I do the same. The Crunch channel is much fatter. I track rhythms with the crunch as well, but use the Ultra channel for my live rhythm.
              "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                Which Rivera did you have?
                If I recall... it was the R100 212A Duo Twelve

Comment

If I recall... it was the R100 212A Duo Twelve

Ah, so not one of the Knuckleheads then.

Comment

zeegler - he had the precursor to the original knucklehead.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      zeegler - he had the precursor to the original knucklehead.
                      I assume they must have been radically different to the newer models like the II and Tre? Just wondering because I have a Knucklehead II, and it's certainly not shrill.

Comment

oh yes. I have always used the original M/S series and they were unique in tone. with the first "gray" series - R30, R55, hundred duo12, Knucklehead - rivera was refining their sound from the 80s into the 90s. where my amps are ULTRA tweakable - almost dumble-ish in tonal options - the gray amps didn't offer as much regarding EQ or gain. later on with the KHR, KH tre, rivera just went for the boutique high gain sound. these days they seem to be mostly focused on vintage-y type designs mixed with higher gain channel.
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                        X