best amp for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
    There's really no such thing as the best amp for metal. It all depends on your playing style, how you dial in your amp, the guitar you play, etc.. I could get a great metal sound out of any of the 6 amps sitting behind me right now. I've never played a 6505+, but considering it's basically the same amp as a 5150, I imagine it would be pretty damn good for metal. The problem with the 5150 is there isn't really a proper clean channel.
    What he said. I hate marshalls, but tons of people will swear by them. I don't like ENGL's either. 6505+ would be my go to but I'd also consider a recto dual or the Mark IV/V.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I've gotten a good metal tone out of a Fender twin before. Just needed to know which effects and settings to use.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

I love both my 5150iii and my ENGL Powerball II. Both get it done with just a slightly different flavor. The bonus to the Powerball II is that is cleans up to Fender/Vox level. Very clear and rich clean tones which is suprising from what is really a hard rock/metal geared amp. Only drawback is unless you buy a used one with the Z9 pedal board for channel switching you will need to get one seperately and they run $250.00. Built like a tank though. But in the end you gotta get what sounds right to you...
        "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
        ENGL Powerball II
        Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
        Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
        Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
        1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
        1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
        2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
        2011 Jackson DK2M Black
        1987 Charvel Model 2 White
        2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
        1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
        1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
        2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
        2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
        2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
        2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
        2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
        2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
        2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
        1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

The best cab I have heard for handling heavy chugging is a Basson 4X12. The cabs are solid as hell, the speakers (Eminence Legends) are sealed to the baffle board so no vibration with low tunings and foam insulated which I suppose cuts some high frequency. A very bottom heavy sounding cab.
          Attached Files
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I like what Grim is saying, Fireball all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
              I've gotten a good metal tone out of a Fender twin before. Just needed to know which effects and settings to use.
              the best metal tone I ever had was a fender bassman 100 head into a musicman ported 2X12 cab with a Yamaha DI-10II distortion pedal and a boss OD. got that trick from criss oliva. but, if I still played metal these days, and had a $1200 budget I would just get a single or dual rectifier and be done with it.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

markD makes a good point about the Fender Bassman heads at 1200.00 you could get a head and decent 4X12 cab.
                Fender Bassmans make some serious grunt when you jump the channels.
                They don't sound anything like a run of the mill Fender amp.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

best amp for metal? What kind of metal? Do you already have a cab?

short list of amps under 12 hundred bucks-

Laney Ironheart
                  Line 6 Spider Valve 100
                  Krank Rev1+
                  Lee Jackson
                  Mesa Single Recto, MKIV, TriAxis, Royal Atlantic, Stiletto
                  Randall MTS and modded modules
                  AxeFX ultra
                  H&K Triamp MK1, Trilogy, Switchblade, Coreblade
                  Soldano Avenger, Hotrod, Lucky 13

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                    it's not tube, but you should check into the Ampeg VH140C. Brian Hoffman used one for years and created some VERY brutal tones. living in the birth place of death metal, I have seen MANY VH140Cs in action and letting out some heavy ass tones with mega "chugga-chugga" ness going on.

cool part? you can get one under $500.
                    X2! Yeah Dude the VH140C is not a "Tube" but it is One Of The BEST SS/Metal Amps out there ever built...P-E-R-I-O-D!
                    *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
                    *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
                    *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
                    Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
                    *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
                    *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
                    *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
                    *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

Comment

You can get metal outta a lonestar it all depends on what you wanna do and what you put infront/behind it.
                      Haters gonna hate
                      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I would look into the BlackStar Amps. They seem to be pretty nice for the money. Amps are very personal and no one can tell you what to buy but one can steer you in the right direction.
                        Your Budget of $1200.00 should get you into a 60 watt combo model of your choice. The Peavy Amps are nice but the cleans suck IMO, I'd look for a JSX if you like that kind of tone which IMO the JSX is better then the 5150's and especially better then the 6505+ and has a very usable clean channel.

Comment

THE hidden gem is the Peavey XXX. Killer amp, and no more than $400 used. I call it The Poor Mans Recto, except it has usable mids.
                          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                            THE hidden gem is the Peavey XXX. Killer amp, and no more than $400 used. I call it The Poor Mans Recto, except it has usable mids.
                            I couldn't agree more. Best bang for your buck. The trucker chics are rather cheesy but I turned the plate around and customized mine.
                            I like black and white guitars

Comment

The Best amp for metal? That's funny but you left out a few other questions..

What's the best guitar for metal... ( and don't say Les Paul's... my dad has one and I HATE it)
                              What's the best speakers for metal...(and don't say Celestion V30's because I HATE THEM)
                              What's the best guitar strap for metal?
                              What are the best strings for metal... and don't say D'Addario because I used them once and I broke an B strings after only 6 months of playing the guitar every day and sweating all over it.

I love this place.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                                I agree 100%. My Triple X has officially retired my Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier half stack. Its just not necessary to lug that half stack around anymore.
                                My metal rig live consists of: (and I get nothing but compliments from other metal players on my tone).

Peavey Triple XXX 60w 1 x 12 combo. Its the first year original model
                                Rocktron Cyborg Digitial Destiny delay and a BBE Sonic stomp in the loop. Both are always on. They sit on the top of the combo.
                                Out in front I have the 3 button Peavey footswitch, a chorus pedal and my Morley switchless optical wah pedal. That's it. I run it unmic'd for small shows and I mic it for large ones. It sounds amazing. Clean is great, rhythm and lead channels (crunch and Ultra) are both good enough to be used as rhythm or lead channels. I happen to use the red channel for rhythm and the yellow channel for lead which is opposite of how most use it.
                                Its an amazing amp. Especially with the BBE in the loop.

Comment

Working...
                                X