2 reasons why a large guitar rig doesn't bother you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
    just because one doesn't gig today it does not mean they are not man enough to carry multiple heads and 4x12. I did when I gigged and no roadies. I'm in the same physical shape pushing 50 as I was at age 20. I'd still gig with at least 2 heads and 2 4x12's if I was out there tearing it up.
    That sounds good in theory, but around here there's only about 3 clubs you could use A 4x12 at, let alone 2. Most of the others are sports bars/etc where a 2x12 is almost overkill. With one of my bands I could easily use a pod or a 112 combo- our singer uses a tele/fender champ and some pedals.
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

To me, aside from the pain of lugging all of that around, another major issue is that there is a high liklihood that a person with a rig like that would run way too much stage volume. Which is a soundman's nightmare and makes a band sound like crap. It's just overkill unless regularly playing 1,000+ people venues. But in reality, it's even overkill for arenas. Let the P.A. handle the volume. I play with a loud drummer and my 1x12 combo w/2x12 extension cab keeps up fine. Matter of fact, I could get by with just the combo. But, as mentioned previously, I'm getting ready to try going straight to FOH/monitors and I predict it will work out fine.

Comment

2 reasons a big rig doesn't bother me:
        1. Most of my big gear is on wheels, as in road cases.
        2. We use a trailer to take our PA to gigs anyway so transporting it isn't an issue
        Really what limits what rig I take is the stage space which around here isn't going to allow for multiple amp setups with a rack and Bradshaw switching system most of the time. When stage space allows, I use a head and 4x12 cab with either a spare head ready just in case or my Axe Fx Ultra to go direct to FOH if needed. One rack I have has a Palmer PDI-03 in it to go to FOH and once I get that rack sorted out the days of mic'ing amps will likely be over. We also run sound for other bands and thinking of picking up some Radial Engineering JDX DI boxes for guitar. We already run bass through a DI box to FOH now.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

My rack is also on wheels. Granted there are only 4 pieces of equipment in it but it's still pretty damn heavy. When I did play in a band I would bring my rack and one or two 4X12 Marshall 1960B cabs and usually 3 or 4 guitars and the foot controller. I never had a problem with hauling it because I've always had a conversion van. I think it's worth the trouble because the sound is unmatched in my opinion by any simple head/cab combo and stomp boxes.
          Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-11-2014, 12:15 AM.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

1. When it sounds amazing and
            2. when I don't have to pack it, haul it, set it up, or tear it down!
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
              I'm in the same physical shape pushing 50 as I was at age 20.
              Now, now Shawn

Don't believe everything the wife says

"There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Comment

Nice set up MetalDaze! What brand of speakers or are they subs?
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                    Nice set up MetalDaze! What brand of speakers or are they subs?
                    The cabs are from Port City with V30's in them. They are oversized (and ported) vertical 2x12's. I like them.

Comment

Carvin V3m and a 2x12 for me (sometimes my SX300 212 combo amp as an extension cab/backup). I like it pure and simple like that.
                      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                        That sure is pretty!

I'll take a picture of my practice rig later... it's what I'll also use if I'm ever in a band again too.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Here is my main rig...

Since added the TC 1210 as well.

Comment

Just mic me up

I have a luggage cart strapped to the back... so that handle behind it has wheels... I should take a picture of that. For the ultimate in lazy. But I've never actually taken it anywhere

Last edited by xenophobe; 01-16-2014, 03:23 AM.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

To be honest I wouldn't drag all this to a gig:

But I would simplify it to
                              -Randal RM4
                              -Rocktron Intellifex (MPX G2 is showing it's age due to batteryproblems)
                              -Randall RT2/50
                              -2x12 V30
                              -Korg DTR-1
                              -Voodoo Labs GCP

All in all, the RM4 and RT2/50 would still weigh a tonne, though nothing a small trolley wouldn't fix
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
                                That sounds good in theory, but around here there's only about 3 clubs you could use A 4x12 at, let alone 2. Most of the others are sports bars/etc where a 2x12 is almost overkill. With one of my bands I could easily use a pod or a 112 combo- our singer uses a tele/fender champ and some pedals.
                                Space aside just because you have a couple of 4x12 or heads doesn't mean you dime the volume.....do you drive a moped on the freeway because you don't need a car that can go 120 MPH?
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X