No announcement yet.

Good cheap amp for some thrashing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Peavey 6534+ would do the job nicely... or the regular 6505+, but I really dug the 6534+. Play them both!

Engl Fireball 100 would be great too.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      One thing to keep an eye out for (as much as I dislike Crate), is the older
      Blue Voodoo 60.
      Not the 120, but the 60.
      That is a very cool sounding amp with a ton of usable gain.
      And don't let the wattage mislead you, they are plenty loud enough.
      +1. I had a BV60 head and thought it was great.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what don't you guys like about the BV120... or what is better about the 60? Is it for.. "No sense in going 100 watts, when you can dime the 50 watts to really "talk back" and get the tone."? I ask cause if that's the reason, I think the BV's sound really good at low volumes or cranked. And with my Ultra+, it has the 60/120 watt switch and the volume doesn't really change much. Actually, the only difference I notice is that on 60 watts, it has less low end chunk and kinda figured it would be the same for the BV's. Whatcha think?
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The Blackstar Ht-5 has a good older thrash (metallica, megadeath, anthrax) tone to it. Also there is an "ISF" knob where you can change between american and british tones. Only 5 watts though, its more of a practice amp. Also Bugera is coming out with a triple rectifier copy it is going to be like 700 bucks but it may go down, it comes out in december its called the trirec.
          “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
            Just out of curiosity, what don't you guys like about the BV120... or what is better about the 60? Is it for.. "No sense in going 100 watts, when you can dime the 50 watts to really "talk back" and get the tone."? I ask cause if that's the reason, I think the BV's sound really good at low volumes or cranked. And with my Ultra+, it has the 60/120 watt switch and the volume doesn't really change much. Actually, the only difference I notice is that on 60 watts, it has less low end chunk and kinda figured it would be the same for the BV's. Whatcha think?
            I'm not sure if the BV60 is better than the BV120, because I've never actually played a BV120. I just know that I loved my old BV60.

Comment

Originally posted by xDarkCrisisx View Post
              Yeah I might look at used stuff, only issue is almost everyone on ebay doesn't wanna ship the cab, their almost ALL local pick up. I might look at local classified etc. to see what I can get my hands on.
              You could troll your local guitar center for some used cabs, I've seen some nice ones from all types of manufacturers from time to time. They may even ship one you see online from another location to your local store.
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

5150/6505+ EMG's= Machine Head, for vintage thrash tone I guess you may want to check out something more old school...

Bugera have ceased production on the 6262/0 and 333/XL apparently the 1990 is selling better, I guess t3h angry b33z sounds better than nice heavy overdrive to kids thesedays...

If you dont need a dedicated clean the 6505/5150 should work fine....

Cabs can be had for steals second hand craiglist has deals often trouble is few people ship things that heavy when selling used...

Comment

used Fender RocPro1000.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                    You could troll your local guitar center for some used cabs, I've seen some nice ones from all types of manufacturers from time to time. They may even ship one you see online from another location to your local store.
                    Absolutely.
                    I've seen Marshall 1960A's loaded go for less than 400, and that is a keeper.
                    Early Peavey 5150's for around 200, and the famous rattle issue is an easy fix with a deck screw
                    into the center post (!).
                    Mesa cabs are great, and when the time comes I will get one...I passed on one loaded with
                    Celestion G12T75's for 400.
                    I should have gotten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      used Fender RocPro1000.
                      That is a great amp, I used to own one, but it needs a pedal in front to get heavier tones from.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                        Absolutely.
                        I've seen Marshall 1960A's loaded go for less than 400, and that is a keeper.
                        Early Peavey 5150's for around 200, and the famous rattle issue is an easy fix with a deck screw
                        into the center post (!).
                        Mesa cabs are great, and when the time comes I will get one...I passed on one loaded with
                        Celestion G12T75's for 400.
                        I should have gotten it!
                        Agreed. Mesa cabs are awesome. ENGL ones are really good too.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                        X