Good cheap amp for some thrashing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cheap amp for some thrashing?

Hey ya'll, I'm new to the forums and wanted to ask your opinions on something, What's a good tube amp for thrash, and hardcore under $850 (I'm looking to get a head and cab for this price, difficult I know ) I've looked at the Bugera 6262 and matching cab, but as always I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. Any advice???
    Gear:
    RR3 Black/ EMG 81 (Bridge) EMG 60 (Neck)
    RR24 Black/Red Bevels
    Demmelition King V Philly Red/Black Bevels
    Line 6 Spider IV 15w
    Fender Mustang V
    Peavey 6505+
    Mesa Recto Cab

if you look at the secondhand market, you could find a whole range of amps to suit your purposes within your budget. So folks can narrow things down, what sort of bands do you consider thrash & hardcore?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Slayer, Machine Head, Witchery, Goatwhore, The Devil Wears Prada. Just to name a few without getting into a genre debate
      Gear:
      RR24 Black/Red Bevels
      Line 6 Spider IV 15w
      Fender Mustang V
      Peavey 6505+
      Mesa Recto Cab

Comment

This
        636.jpg638.jpg
        One of the best metal/thrash amps ever and certainly the best for the money,
        or for much more money even.
        This ones for sale, is in mint condition except for the volume knob missing a face cap. It's got all the gain for any needs, active eq 3 channel, tough as nails usa made head.

Comment

The Carvin X100B is great and will do more when/if your tastes change. I cant speak of the 80s models but the new series IVs are very versatile.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by xDarkCrisisx View Post
            Slayer, Machine Head, Witchery, Goatwhore, The Devil Wears Prada. Just to name a few without getting into a genre debate
            Slayer and Witchery are the only thrash bands there...
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              The Carvin X100B is great and will do more when/if your tastes change. I cant speak of the 80s models but the new series IVs are very versatile.
              I disagree 100%. The X100B isn't going to give him those tones.

Comment

Mesa Rectifier, single dual or triple
                Peavey 5150

You could pickup a 5150 and a 4 x 12 cab for under $850.00 used no problem.
                The Mesa might be tougher but if I had $850.00 in cash I would be able to find a nice single rectifier half stack.

Comment

Jg is right...
                  Or XXX.
                  One thing to keep an eye out for (as much as I dislike Crate), is the older
                  Blue Voodoo 60.
                  Not the 120, but the 60.
                  That is a very cool sounding amp with a ton of usable gain.
                  And don't let the wattage mislead you, they are plenty loud enough.

No sense in going 100 watts, when you can dime the 50 watts to really
                  "talk back" and get the tone.
                  (Don't let the numbers fool you, that's about what they are).

Regardless, invest in a good Mesa 4x12...it will be a keeper no matter what head you decide on.
                  I have an old Peavey block logo 5150 4x12 Slant and love it, Mesa is even better.
                  Last edited by Cygnus X1; 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

After being a Marshall guy for years, I picked up an Egnater Rebel 20...It gets pretty intense chunk....might not be loud enough for you though.

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I disagree 100%. The X100B isn't going to give him those tones.
                      My X100 worked well for me for thrash, but different strokes I guess.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

+1 on the Ultra Plus. I have one (with JJ high gain set from eurotubes) and love it for everything. +1 on the BV but I have and like the 120 (very marshall-ish in my opinion). Both of them with a good EQ in the loop is nice and clean to pretty brutal. And a chorus pedal makes either a really glassy clean too. Both sound good at low or high volumes too. No matter what, I've definitely found a cab can ruin a good sounding head so get something good. I have old Carvin 4x12's and from what I understand they're built similar to the Mesas. And they're pretty cheap. I also agree about the 5150 but I haven't played one in a head/cab that I really like. The combo is great. But there's different versions so some are probably better than others.
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Peavey ultra + gets my vote for a cheap dependable brutal amp.I love mine it sounds killer on 50 watts too as well as 120.
                          I added a Midi Verb III in the loop and shut down the peavey reverb and its a fantastic hard core thrash amp.
                          I run mine thru a Jackson 4X12 cab with 50 watt Eminence(Jackson redlines)
                          Lots of bottom end with the ultra +.I got mine for $250.00.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Check out the Bugera 333xl.

Comment

Yeah I might look at used stuff, only issue is almost everyone on ebay doesn't wanna ship the cab, their almost ALL local pick up. I might look at local classified etc. to see what I can get my hands on.
                              Gear:
                              RR24 Black/Red Bevels
                              Line 6 Spider IV 15w
                              Fender Mustang V
                              Peavey 6505+
                              Mesa Recto Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X