Kahler vs. Floyd Rose - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler vs. Floyd Rose - thoughts?

Okay, so I've been frustrated with my JT-590 lately. Last night I'm noticing a major intonation problem after I thought I had fixed that prob. a few days ago. Well, my highest four string saddles have all slid forward! Damn them all to hell!

Batlord (aka, Stuart) has a Gibson V with a Kahler on it and I must say, the thing is pretty friggin sweet. It's floating (I blocked mine) and stays in perfect tune and it seems like a much better design overall than the Floyd (IMHO). One of the cool things is that the body doesn't need to be totally routed away to accommodate it.

So now I really, REALLY want a new RR1 with a Kahler on it. Anyone have any thoughts about the two trems, one versus the other? I'm interested in your thoughts.

I would never own a guitar with a Kahler on it. I have one (21 years old)and it's never been played. They just don't stay in tune without the used of a Floyd Rose nut. I use Original Floyd Rose's (OFR's) exclusively.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I've played Kahler and Floyd guitars for 20+ years. I've never had any problems with either. I've done deep dive bombs and pull ups with a Kahler and they've always stayed in tune for me. Kahler's feel great and are better for subtle effects. Floyds can do that "thwang" flutter thing.

Then again, I like all whidlee bars - the Bigsby on my Gretsch does what neither a Floyd or Kahler does and a classic v-trem is a great thing too. They all have their place.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I also suggest to take a look at the OFR's vs. the JT-590. The OFR's are made in Germany by Schaller and are very high quality. The correct alloy is used and and heat treated consistantly. So basically you have a Trem that provides better wear in the long run.

Oh, yea a Bigsby on a Gretsch. I wouldn't have it any other way. Rockabilly time!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I agree with Tim. The Kahler is more reactive. I have had no problem with stability for either although I prefer to use OFR's because of the fluttering you can get.
          The most stable floating trem on the planet is the Ibanez Low Pro.
          Its impossible to knock it out of tune.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
            I've played Kahler and Floyd guitars for 20+ years. I've never had any problems with either. I've done deep dive bombs and pull ups with a Kahler and they've always stayed in tune for me. Kahler's feel great and are better for subtle effects. Floyds can do that "thwang" flutter thin

Agreed! I have guitars with Kahlers and OFRs and both work fine. No problems with intonating them or them staying in tune if set up correctly. But for the record, I prefer the OFR.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr
              Agreed! I have guitars with Kahlers and OFRs and both work fine. No problems with intonating them or them staying in tune if set up correctly. But for the record, I prefer the OFR.
              I'm going to send over my Kahler equipped guitar to see if you can set it up! I've worked on that darn thing for 20 years now and it's terrible! They do have a nice response on subtle effects though. But, I need one that stays in tune

Comment

Wow, cool. Good info, thank you. Perhaps I'll just go for a new OFR replacement on my 93 and stick with that on my new RR1.

Comment

Floyd. I wouldn't touch a guitar with a Kahler.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
                    I'm going to send over my Kahler equipped guitar to see if you can set it up! I've worked on that darn thing for 20 years now and it's terrible! They do have a nice response on subtle effects though. But, I need one that stays in tune
                    I had the same problem, not only do you have to 3-1 oil the rollers you have to grease the side pivot bearings once a year. After greasing the side bearings or oiling them it now stays in tune on pull ups.

You have to remove the kahler, remove the rear springs, unscrew the two allen pivot bolts & you'll see two side bearings - pack them with some light grease & a lil 3-1 oil twist back & forth to work in the grease, when replacing the two allen pivot bolts - you'll have to adjust each side even to balance the gap on the floating bridge.

It worked for me - I had a pullup out of tune # - now works perfectly.

Comment

Send it to me. I'll take care of it.

- Newc

Comment

I would never own a guitar with a Kahler on it. I have one (21 years old)and it's never been played. They just don't stay in tune without the used of a Floyd Rose nut. I use Original Floyd Rose's (OFR's) exclusively.
                        I beg to differ. I've had guitars with Kahlers, and they stayed in tune, beautifully, without the floyd nut. So did Paul and Bruce, from Racer X, and they were brutal on them.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Three words.
                          "Original Floyd Rose"..OFR.
                          OFR is the only way to fly, anything else is a cheap imitation.
                          Kahler's suck bottomline.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                            Three words.
                            "Original Floyd Rose"..OFR.
                            OFR is the only way to fly, anything else is a cheap imitation.
                            Kahler's suck bottomline.
                            sorry, but that's just not true. a lot of folks have been very happy and successful with a number of these so-called "cheap imitations". there are some very good floyd variants out there including the schaller licensed floyds, some of the ibanez variants, etc.

a lot of folks have been very successful with kahler's so they do not unilaterally suck.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                              sorry, but that's just not true. a lot of folks have been very happy and successful with a number of these so-called "cheap imitations". there are some very good floyd variants out there including the schaller licensed floyds, some of the ibanez variants, etc.

a lot of folks have been very successful with kahler's so they do not unilaterally suck.
                              I'll go one step further Tim...
                              I have a fair amount of guitars. Most of them have locking trems. Everything from late 80's Gotoh Floyds, Washburn Floyds, Jacksons, some Ibanez Low Pro's, JT580's, OFR's a Kahler Spyder and a Flyer.
                              Set up correctly.. they all work great.
                              I prefer the Ibanez LoPro because it gives me the sensitivity of a Kahler with the ability to do whammy tricks like an OFR. I also like the no-slop feeling of the Ibanez pop in bar with the replaceable nylon bushings.
                              Set up correctly... most, if not all good quality double locking trems work great and stay in tune. Its all about personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                              X