PDA

View Full Version : EMGs.. Sterile?

Json
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi!
I've heard a lot of people say that the EMGs are sterile and only suits for Metal, Is this true or can I get EMGs and play blues or rock with them?

Sorry If there Is an obvious answer to this, but I'm new to this pickup thing.

Thanks!

catzodellamarina
11-22-2005, 02:06 PM
1. Mutt guitar with an 89 bridge and neck S. The whole tone rocks or sweetens up with selector change. Very controllable. Best EMG combination I own.

2. 650XL with an 85,S,S that is too hot, feedsback, and is only suited for all rock/metal, no compromises.

3. Model 7 with the T-set. It doesn't get vintage Tele twang. It has a twang all it's own but would rather rock out.

My experience: EMG's like to be rode hard. They don't seem to get mellow response to backing off the volume pot like my Duncans. For balls out playing hard rock or metal, they are awesome.

Json
11-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the answer!

DonP
11-22-2005, 02:28 PM
1. Charvel Fusion Deluxe with an 81 Bridge and an S neck. I find this works really well for Great White's "Rock Me". The single for the clean / jazzy blues parts, then kick in the 81 for the hard rock parts. BTW I have this wired for 18 volts.

2. 1. is the only axe I have with EMG's at the moment. I have a ZW set and a spare 85 but haven't hooked them up yet (damn KE3 - can't fit the battery in the cavity).

So, to answer your question, the singles seem very good for blues, and the 89 can be "split" for blues.

I know Gilmore used to use EMG's in Pink Floyd. Don't know what he currently uses.

SeventhSon
11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
If you put an 81 in the neck of a Paul, you will get that beautiful, singing "woman's tone".

XSSIVE
11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
i love the 85 in bridge and neck. i haven't had much luck with 81s since i find them a bit too agressive and bright in the guitars i tried them in.

-Mike

toejam
11-22-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My experience: EMG's like to be rode hard. They don't seem to get mellow response to backing off the volume pot like my Duncans. For balls out playing hard rock or metal, they are awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience, they do clean up nicely when backing off the volume control. Clean sounds I think are also very nice, not sterile sounding at all. And their tone controls are the most responsive controls I've ever used, not like some others where you need to turn it almost all the way for there to be a slight change in tone. I think the 85 in the bridge rules with either a 60 or 81 in the neck! /images/graemlins/headbang.gif

der_kopf
11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Here's another Q:

Do you here the air and the quarks of a well-played alder guitar???

toejam
11-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes, the tone is still dependent on the wood. EMGs are just a little more consistent from guitar to guitar.

illumina
11-22-2005, 09:43 PM
81 bridge, 60 neck in a DXMG. Definately Rock/metal. 60 is great clean, but doesnt have the 'shine' of a single coil. much more mellow. 81 is VERY bright.

der_kopf
11-23-2005, 02:20 AM
How bright is the 81 compared to the Sreaming Demon?

Json
11-23-2005, 03:35 AM
Thank you all for the answers!
And what I get from this is:
If I use an 89 or 81 In the bridge possition I can get a good rock/blues sound.

neilli
11-23-2005, 05:32 AM
Personally, I consistently don't like 81s on bolt-ons - don't ask why, but I like them in a neck thru: maybe it's all in my head!

EMGs are now the only pickups I'll retrofit if I'm not happy with the current sound of a guitar - Because they seem to depend less on the guitar than passive pickups, you have a fair idea what you're going to get.

Json
11-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Thanks!
What's the difference between 89 and 81?

The thing I don't like about my current pickups Is that they are very noisy, and they tend to get muddy when I play rhythm. The EMGs will solve this right?

illumina
11-23-2005, 08:14 AM
If im right, a 89 is an 85 than can be tapped to a single?

Yes; the EMGs are very tight.

I also had a EMG85 Bridge, 60 Neck in a DK1. Loved it.

Json
11-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Yeah I checked their website (why didn't I think of that in the first place?) and the 89 can be tapped to a singlecoil by using a push/pull pot.

hippietim
11-23-2005, 08:39 AM
I think it's all in how *you* play and of course the guitar itself and your amp rig I built a Tele that had a pair of EMG Silver Anniv. 81's in it. It was actually a very good blues guitar. I find that with the right instrument and outboard gear EMGs can be very dynamic and responsive. I've also hear them sound like shit - like in the Steinberger I had.

Json
11-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Okey.
Thanks for your reply!

Top Jimmy B
11-23-2005, 08:44 AM
I use EMG's and I am sterile. There is a correlation.

shreddermon
11-23-2005, 08:46 AM
I think EMGs have specs with very flat EQs across the range. That's great if you have a very high gain amp, and do a lot of tone shaping with your rig/amp. To others - myself included - they sound flat and lifeless. So you love 'em or hate 'em. I'm in the latter camp.

BTW, I think this same critique applies to Dimarzio's PAF Pro pickups. And that's also why some folks swear by them, and others don't. Same issue, but passive pickups.

Json
11-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes that's right.
So the only way to see if I like them is to buy them and play them. there aren't any music stores where I live so I can't just go and try them out like that. /images/graemlins/eyes.gif

Sunbane
11-23-2005, 10:00 AM
I've been a die-hard EMG fanatic for the longest time, but lately I've started to aquire a taste for passives. EQ and stuff aside, I think the biggest difference is how they sound distorted. The EMGs have that distinctive EMG distortion that is perfectly suited to high-gain situations. When you back down the gain a bit however, they tend to sound a bit "farty" IMO, and there's where a good passive will still sound ballsy and "in your face".

hammer84
11-23-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think EMGs have specs with very flat EQs across the range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel this way too. You don't get the pronounce freq differences that you get in passives. I actually like this feature. I feel I get a more consistant sound. If I'm going to go plug into a house rig I can get a good sound much easier. EMG are by far my favoite high gain pickup and DG-20 set was the best single coil set I had ever used.

Json
11-23-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been a die-hard EMG fanatic for the longest time, but lately I've started to aquire a taste for passives. EQ and stuff aside, I think the biggest difference is how they sound distorted. The EMGs have that distinctive EMG distortion that is perfectly suited to high-gain situations. When you back down the gain a bit however, they tend to sound a bit "farty" IMO, and there's where a good passive will still sound ballsy and "in your face".

[/ QUOTE ]

I always have the gain on my amp set very high, and the volume pot on my guitar is always set on 10, so high-gain is what I like /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does anyone have any recordings done with a guitar fitted with EMGs? I'd like to hear them without any effects except distortion, I'd also like to hear them with no dist at all. just to get an idea what they sound like.

Thanks!

Sunbane
11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
There are soundclips at www.emginc.com (http://www.emginc.com)

maddog
11-23-2005, 06:26 PM
i would recommend turning up your laptops' speakers to get a little more juice out of your pickups. Thats what i do anyway lol

donvandam
11-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Doesn't Buddy Guy use EMG single coils?

El_Kabong
11-23-2005, 10:38 PM
No, Buddy uses a combination of Lace Sensors.

Json
11-24-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are soundclips at www.emginc.com (http://www.emginc.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I'll check it out!

Endrik
11-24-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm not a fan of EMGs at all, but some of them sound pretty nice, those active single coils are pretty good.
I've also tried 85 and 60, on some guitars they sound decent, sometimes they don't, I don't really dig them.
EMG 81 is IMHO the most cheesiest and un-natural sounding piece of shit pickup ever made. It doesn't have warm mid-range at all.

LexLuthier
11-24-2005, 06:24 AM
I used EMGs a lot back in the 80's when I was playing mainly metal. Worked great for that. It's when I started to play other styles where I needed more dynamic control, EMGs just seem to push the front end of the amp too hard, they just don't breathe. The singles seem to have an artificial sounding tonal quality to them, hard to explain unless you directly a/b them with passives (like silicon boobs vs. real boobs - LOL!).

I recently put a set I had laying around in a beater guitar just for the hell of it, and it reminded me why I went back to passives. I think if I were playing Metal exclusively, I would probably have the guitars set up with EMGs, just because they work so well for that.

Json
11-24-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(...)hard to explain unless you directly a/b them with passives (like silicon boobs vs. real boobs - LOL!). (...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that's a great comparison /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've been playing alot of blues and rock lately..

I also listened to the soundclip on their website and I didn't like something about the sound, I couldn't place my finger on it.. so I just might go with passive pickups, I've been thinking of the duncan SH-4 jb or a duncan custom too. It's so hard to decide! /images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif

Charlz
11-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I LOVE EMG'S, /images/graemlins/headbang.gif ... but I'm a metal player...

xenophobe
11-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Most of the people who would claim that EMGs are sterile are vintage snobs, or people who wouldn't normally use a humbucker in the first place, IMO. Some people like them, some don't, but it's hardly a 'sterile' pickup, IMO.

EMG 81 - Designed to be a high output noiseless pickup, but is actually not very high output... more upper middle of the road. Very sharp and bright, and can get that very controlled, hardcore thrash crunch. Best used in environments where the signal chain is going to be heavily processed because of the lack of noise from the internally amplified low output passive ceramic magnet humbucker. Also great plugged directly into solid state amps. I find it just a bit lifeless plugged directly into a tube amp, but in mostly a good way.

EMG-85 is a high output internally amplified passive elnico magnet humbucker designed to be noiseless, but with a much warmer EQ. It's hotter than an 81, and has more growl and bite to it, especially when playing technical death where passages may be strings of individual notes instead of power chords. It still is pretty brite with leads, but not like the 81. This is my favorite pickup of all time and I prefer this plugged directly into a high-gain tube amplifier. I think it has a bit too much low end for use in highly processed rigs, as it tends to muddy up if the low end isn't lessened by some EQing especially at the front end of a stacked signal chain.

They both have great clean sounds with the volume rolled back... the 85 a lot more warmth, the 81 being sparkly... Roll the tone down and you can get some great blues/fusion/rock tones out of them. The 85 tends to sound more dirty but still gives a nice deep sound, and the 81 can sound really light and airy.

I find the 81 great for lead, and the 85 better suited for rythm.... In my one hum guitars, I prefer an 85, but in dual hum, the 85b/81n combo is about as good as it gets, IMO.

I don't have much experience with the 89, but from what I understand it's very similar to the 85, but with the coil-tap ability to use as a single coil pickup. It seems to be popular with people who need more sonic versatility then they're used to getting out of an 81 or 85.

Personally, I don't need the tone knob on an EMG, and prefer the volume to be all out in a dual battery 18v configuration... slightly higher output, less compression, more headroom, and better articulation, and more natural/even distortion... One of my customs will have a PA2 booster, so I'll be interested in hearing how that will effect the front end of my Mesa Dual Recto.

I definitely think that the EMG 81/85/98 are definitely pigenholed as being a metal only pickup, and are both underrated and overrated at the same time.

axeman81
11-25-2005, 04:45 AM
85 in the bridge, 81 or 60 in neck, roll of the volume and it cleans up extremely nice if you're through a fairly loud tube amp IME.

Json
11-25-2005, 08:47 AM
xenophobe> Thanks for the great explanations!

aldog1330
11-25-2005, 09:02 AM
I am a huge EMG fan, but recently I bought an explorer from Pete (lhrocker) that had a Distortion in the bridge and a 496r in the neck. I've been going back and forth between it and my LPC with EMG's. And I have to say, I'm slowly swaying back towards passives again. They have an airy feel to them, and do seem more alive than EMG's do. I do like EMG's though, don't get me wrong. But I think my tastes are changing back to what they once were. All I can really say is to get them and try them out - it is the one sure way to find out if they are for you or not, because the qualities of EMG's that some people hate, others will love. They are a very good pickup for what they do - noiseless, high gain, articulate, and evenly balanced.

Json
11-25-2005, 09:49 AM
yeah I was thinking of buying them and trying them out, If I don't like them I can always sell them to someone who do.

Mr. Poon
11-25-2005, 10:43 AM
I have EMGs on all my electrics-

SL1- 81/SA/SA All around great sounds, both clean and distorted. Extremely warm clean sound.

SG- 58/H The 58 is an original model from the 80s, available now through the "custom shop". It was discontinued for being too noisy, but I love how it sounds for classic rock/blues. The neck pickup (H) is the single coil pickup in a humbucker casing. Sounds awesome for clean stuff. I used to have a Duncan Custom in the bridge but I greatly prefer the 58 for what I use the SG for.

Mutt- 81 This thing just kicks ass, plain and simple. Great, powerful sound- never muddy.

/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

pagemalicious
11-25-2005, 10:52 AM
EMG's actually respond to wood types more than I thought. A while ago when I played a BC Rich Gunslinger it just had one EMG 81. It sounded pretty cool and notes seemed to jump out of every where. The same goes for an old Ironbird I played too. But when i tried out a Jackson Fusion with an EMG 81 in the bridge and two single coils, it sounded like crap. Too thin and raspy. The single coils sounded really nice though, beutiful sound.

LRGman
11-26-2005, 04:25 AM
Got an 85 in my fusion-its one of my favorite pick ups

der_kopf
11-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Hmm, what do you think of dual 81 in a KV1 all brass Kahler?

toejam
11-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Dual 81s aren't bad. I had the silver 25th anniversary set in my old Hamer... the guitar was all mahogany with a 3/8" maple top. The bridge pup was a little bright and I wound up keeping the tone control on about 5 most of the time, but the 81 in the bridge is even brighter in guitars made of poplar or alder.
With the KV1, it might be a tiny bit warmer due to the brass Kahler, but probably not all that much. I'd still go with the 85 in the bridge and either 81 or 60 in the neck. Though, you might prefer the 81 in the bridge, so I guess you'd have to try it and see.

TheUntalentedOne
11-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't like EMGs . I had 3 guitars with EMGs ...... I either swapped the pickups out or sold the guitar.
I find them sterile and flat sounding .

Mark

der_kopf
11-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I have the Screaming Demon in the Brigde now. Like it.

DonP
11-28-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How bright is the 81 compared to the Sreaming Demon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you already know now by now.

My Screamin' Demon is in a guitar tuned down 1/2, and it's very fat sounding (lots of growl).

The EMG81 I have is in a regular tuned guitar - it's a high speed buzzsaw compared to the Demon.

Venomboy
11-29-2005, 12:12 PM
The EMG 89 is NOT coil tapped. It is actually 2 separate pickups in one housing. I guy from EMG told me that. When you flick the little switch, you're switching between a humbucker and a single coil.

I've played EMG's since about 1985. In 2 of my BCR's I have DiMarzio SuperDistortions. I've been liking them a little more than the EMG's lately.

The SuperD's seem to give notes more of an "aura" while the EMG's are definitely tighter with less of an "aura" around the notes. The EMG's I think are more consistent from guitar to guitar.

DonP
11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The EMG 89 is NOT coil tapped. It is actually 2 separate pickups in one housing. I guy from EMG told me that. When you flick the little switch, you're switching between a humbucker and a single coil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's not even a single coil, and it is still humbucking like an -SA. So, they have a humbucker and a humbucking single in one pickup.

toejam
11-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Huh? /images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif
Venomboy is correct. The 89 is an 85 and SA together in one housing. The S and SA models are single coil... they're just noisless. The H model that Kirk Hammett uses in the neck of his Rhoads is actually a single coil in humbucker housing, and the HA is the same way.

DonP
11-29-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? /images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif
Venomboy is correct. The 89 is an 85 and SA together in one housing. The S and SA models are single coil... they're just noisless. The H model that Kirk Hammett uses in the neck of his Rhoads is actually a single coil in humbucker housing, and the HA is the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well shit, I thought the -SA and -S where humbucking singles. How the hell do they make them noiseless if they aren't humbucking?

By humbucking, I mean two coils stacked on rod magnets, like a DiMarzio HS3.

akoch
11-29-2005, 11:58 PM
I"m using 81/85 and 89/89 on three of my guitars. I tend to like it in general. Yes, some days it feels that the other guitars with passive DiMarzios ToneZone/ AirNorton, or SD ScreamingDemon (especially) have somewhat more sponse to the week and more natural, but then it wears away.... hard to explain. Long story short - I can't seem to settle down on either one approach, like to go back and forth. I think lots of folks are same way.
Alex

der_kopf
11-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I got in mind EMG single coils are humberckers in reality, as well.

zeegler
11-30-2005, 10:01 PM
My KV1 has dual 81s, and since I've never had EMGs before, I was surprised when I plugged it in. It is VERY bright, but very articulate. It's not messy or sloppy sounding at all. It took me a while to get used to how different they sound, but I really like them. I find the tone control very useful, more so than for a passive pickup. I normally disconnect the tone control in my guitars, but it works great in this case. I can back off the tone, and reduce the brightness of the pickup, but it doesn't mellow it out too much like it has a tendency of doing with passives. Yes, I can get an absolute dead nuts Slayer tone, and also get a pretty damn close Jim Martin's (Faith no More) sound with the 81. I'm not going to put EMGs in all my guitars, but I really like them in this one.

der_kopf
12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
I just made my first experience with the 81 in the bridge. And what shall I say...it still sounds like MY GUITAR.
I mean there's much more nut, air and harmonics to hear than I expected.
THEY lie.

Well, I have to admit that I'm a PU rockie. Maybe the Screaming Demon did sound more curly? Time will tell. I'll have to change 'em some more times cuz they sound quite similar.

But I cant wait to get my 60 this week /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nevermore
12-12-2005, 11:07 AM
I had dual 81's in my kelly which are currently on ebay at this moment. I personally think the kelly sounds so much better with seymour duncan Pups especially the ones it came with the JB & the 59' ive decided to put a Invader in the bridge & a full shred in the neck to see how it sounds if its not that good i have a warrior on the wall waiting for some new pups so will just swap them over. Ive enjoyed my 81's for the past 10yrs but feel its time for a change they are just too much at times. Plus theres always the exciting feeling when ya change anything on ya guitar to see how it responds kinda sad i know lol

Dreamland_Rebel
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
if your EMG sounds too "thin" it is most likely not close enough to the strings.

the difference between passive's and EMG's are best summed up in the difference between "Kill 'Em All" (passives)and "Master of Puppets" (emg's)

DonP
12-12-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if your EMG sounds too "thin" it is most likely not close enough to the strings.

the difference between passive's and EMG's are best summed up in the difference between "Kill 'Em All" (passives)and "Master of Puppets" (emg's)

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but that's Marshall vs. Mesa as well, IIRC. But yes, I have to agree with your comparison. I get the same tones as Master with my EMG's as well. I've never tried playing Kill 'Em All with EMG's, but it sounds great with my 1963 P90 equiped SG Special.

Dreamland_Rebel
12-12-2005, 02:22 PM
yes but there was marshalls used on MOP as well as boogies.

DonP
12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I guess my IIRC is broken. /images/graemlins/help.gif

MBreinin
12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't think David Gilmour sounded sterile when I saw Pink Floyd twice in 1988. As a matter of fact, his tone made me cry.

Listen to The Delicate Sound of Thunder album and hear for yourself.

Mike

DonP
12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think David Gilmour sounded sterile when I saw Pink Floyd twice in 1988. As a matter of fact, his tone made me cry.

Listen to The Delicate Sound of Thunder album and hear for yourself.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

EMG-SA, if my IIRC is working correctly.

Rupe
12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I have quite a bit of experience with EMG's as a former dealer and installer. I think they are a great pickup for metal and other heavy styles, and they can sound good in other situations as well depending on the rig used. I used to have a Gilmour set in one of my strats and it sounded great...extremely versatile.

That said, I agree for the most part with the people that said they are sterile. Straight into a tube amp they lack the dynamics and response of a passive pickup. If you dime everything, that probably won't matter to you. They are essentially a cold sounding pickup that processes extremely well and excel in that situation. If you use alot of outboard gear, EMG's are definitely worth trying, but if you are looking for a warm tone through a tube amp, passive is the way to go. Anyone who describes an EMG as having warmth doesn't understand the term.

Finally, a great deal of what we hear when we play comes from our hands and not our equipment. My comments are regrding EMG's will be accurate for most people, but for some they may not hold true. Ultimately you should try things out and let your ears make the decision.

toejam
12-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I get a lot of warmth through my THD Univalve with my Les Paul and EMG 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, same with my Jackson Dinky HX with 85b/60n.

der_kopf
12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, unfortunatly they aint have pole-screws.
So you might forfeit string action.

And yes, the first thing I noticed was the compression, but I'm a soft-picker so this might be an advantage

MBreinin
12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, unfortunatly they aint have pole-screws.
So you might forfeit string action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know your English is better than my German...but this is really funny!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mike

Julz
07-07-2014, 02:57 AM
I recently replaced the stock Jackson pickups in my 650XL for a set of EMG 89X/SAX/SAX with an 18V circuit and they sound pretty piss weak.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the single coils as they have a short profile and I need longer mounting screws to get closer to the strings but I'm still a little disappointed. The VLPF active tone controls are absolutely useless and makes almost no alteration to the sound.

Maybe the more conventional 81 or 85/S/S is better suited to this particular guitar if your looking for an enhancement to the stock Jacksons with mid boost.

SausageofPower
07-07-2014, 07:07 AM
I've had plenty of EMG's. If you're looking for more of a versatile "cleans up when volume is rolled off," I'd recommend checking out the newer pickups (the Het Set, the 57/66 set) they offer.

toejam
07-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Wow. A guy signs up in 2005, only to make his first post in a thread that's been dead for 9 years! :lol:

Chad
07-07-2014, 10:51 AM
I recently had a gig where we played a lot of totally clean and light grit sounds. I was using my Schecter with an 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. It worked excellent. Very dynamic. Sounded great. With cleans, I had some reverb and light slapback delay. Grit was totally dry. i.e. my sound wasn't overly processed. I'm not a player who rolls back the volume very much. I just vary my pick attack to get quieter and that method worked great.

jgcable
07-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I use EMG's live for a few reasons.. they sound great, they are completely silent and they sound great (I know... I said it twice). They don't sound generic or sterile at all to me. I think they are very dynamic sounding and GREAT for live playing.

Chad
07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
I agree, John. I think this whole "sterile" issue is mainly internet legend and propagated by bedroom players who haven't played a live gig in their life.

pianoguyy
07-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Even if they were sterile...
I have a guitar for country and metal and--- but most of them play everything.
I make effect patches. I can't have 30 tweaked variations of the same patch because each pickup needs its own eq. So no matter what they sound like, they should all sound similar.

They may or may not be sterile (everyone has an opinion), but no matter what they sound like, we then adjust our gear to accommodate. If a guitar/pickup combo is too bassy, then we turn the bass down and maybe boost the treble to even it out. That's what we do.

To repeat what someone else said... they aren't sterile. They're flat.

xenophobe
07-07-2014, 05:25 PM
I recently replaced the stock Jackson pickups in my 650XL for a set of EMG 89X/SAX/SAX with an 18V circuit and they sound pretty piss weak.

You don't want to run the EMG X with 18v, IMO. The EMG X series was designed to provide a similar tone at 9v that you get with standard EMGS at 18v. Standard EMGs at 9v compress or clip a little... to give them a little more headroom, you go 18v. The X series has that headroom already built in...

Newc
07-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Wow. A guy signs up in 2005, only to make his first post in a thread that's been dead for 9 years! :lol:

Now that's lazy :lol:

Julz
07-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Wow. A guy signs up in 2005, only to make his first post in a thread that's been dead for 9 years! :lol:Liked that move didn't ya? ;)

Julz
07-09-2014, 01:18 AM
You don't want to run the EMG X with 18v, IMO. The EMG X series was designed to provide a similar tone at 9v that you get with standard EMGS at 18v. Standard EMGs at 9v compress or clip a little... to give them a little more headroom, you go 18v. The X series has that headroom already built in...

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Treachery
02-03-2015, 11:37 PM
EMG-81 in the bridge position.

Thank you very much and best regards. :D

Force
02-04-2015, 03:44 AM
EMG-81 in the bridge position.

Thank you very much and best regards. :D

+Infinity......................................

I will add that this works best for me in alder, scooped eq can go f**k itself.

vector
02-04-2015, 08:24 AM
I have quite a bit of experience with EMG's as a former dealer and installer. I think they are a great pickup for metal and other heavy styles, and they can sound good in other situations as well depending on the rig used. I used to have a Gilmour set in one of my strats and it sounded great...extremely versatile.

That said, I agree for the most part with the people that said they are sterile. Straight into a tube amp they lack the dynamics and response of a passive pickup. If you dime everything, that probably won't matter to you. They are essentially a cold sounding pickup that processes extremely well and excel in that situation. If you use alot of outboard gear, EMG's are definitely worth trying, but if you are looking for a warm tone through a tube amp, passive is the way to go. Anyone who describes an EMG as having warmth doesn't understand the term.

Finally, a great deal of what we hear when we play comes from our hands and not our equipment. My comments are regrding EMG's will be accurate for most people, but for some they may not hold true. Ultimately you should try things out and let your ears make the decision.

Excellent summation.

ETA- I've got a set of EMG 81X and SA-X in a 'hog bodied, maple/ebony-necked Hamer Cali and they do sound a LOT better to my ear than the 81/85 set in my alder/maple/rosewoord CS Charvel. A bit more full without getting mushy in the low/middle. Retains a lot of the low end tightness and high end clarity and punch of the regular EMG's but with a bit more organic sounding mids.

MetalDaze
02-04-2015, 08:11 PM

This is what happens when we go back in time :)

xenophobe
02-05-2015, 01:26 AM
Excellent summation.

ETA- I've got a set of EMG 81X and SA-X in a 'hog bodied, maple/ebony-necked Hamer Cali and they do sound a LOT better to my ear than the 81/85 set in my alder/maple/rosewoord CS Charvel. A bit more full without getting mushy in the low/middle. Retains a lot of the low end tightness and high end clarity and punch of the regular EMG's but with a bit more organic sounding mids.

The EMG X series just gives you more headroom. You can get an 81 or 85 to sound like the 81-X/85-X by adding a 2nd 9v. Not the same, but close enough...

Brandenburg
02-05-2015, 06:44 AM
i went these actives on one of my guitars
http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_104.htm

I just wanted something different other than EMG's or SD live wires.. I havent had a chance to run them through their paces much but they seem like they will work out for me.. Will really have to compare them to my EMG 85 in another guitar.. for the most part, unless I wire the emg's to the guitar with the volt.. such comparison is probably meaningless for the most part

toejam
02-05-2015, 08:52 AM
This is what happens when we go back in time :)
And your hot tub time machine malfunctions! Maybe Stewie Griffin can make me a new one.