Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG vs. Demon

[ QUOTE ]
    How bright is the 81 compared to the Sreaming Demon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you already know now by now.

My Screamin' Demon is in a guitar tuned down 1/2, and it's very fat sounding (lots of growl).

The EMG81 I have is in a regular tuned guitar - it's a high speed buzzsaw compared to the Demon.

Comment

The EMG 89 is NOT coil tapped. It is actually 2 separate pickups in one housing. I guy from EMG told me that. When you flick the little switch, you're switching between a humbucker and a single coil.

I've played EMG's since about 1985. In 2 of my BCR's I have DiMarzio SuperDistortions. I've been liking them a little more than the EMG's lately.

The SuperD's seem to give notes more of an "aura" while the EMG's are definitely tighter with less of an "aura" around the notes. The EMG's I think are more consistent from guitar to guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        The EMG 89 is NOT coil tapped. It is actually 2 separate pickups in one housing. I guy from EMG told me that. When you flick the little switch, you're switching between a humbucker and a single coil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's not even a single coil, and it is still humbucking like an -SA. So, they have a humbucker and a humbucking single in one pickup.

Comment

Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          Venomboy is correct. The 89 is an 85 and SA together in one housing. The S and SA models are single coil... they're just noisless. The H model that Kirk Hammett uses in the neck of his Rhoads is actually a single coil in humbucker housing, and the HA is the same way.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            Venomboy is correct. The 89 is an 85 and SA together in one housing. The S and SA models are single coil... they're just noisless. The H model that Kirk Hammett uses in the neck of his Rhoads is actually a single coil in humbucker housing, and the HA is the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well shit, I thought the -SA and -S where humbucking singles. How the hell do they make them noiseless if they aren't humbucking?

By humbucking, I mean two coils stacked on rod magnets, like a DiMarzio HS3.

Comment

I"m using 81/85 and 89/89 on three of my guitars. I tend to like it in general. Yes, some days it feels that the other guitars with passive DiMarzios ToneZone/ AirNorton, or SD ScreamingDemon (especially) have somewhat more sponse to the week and more natural, but then it wears away.... hard to explain. Long story short - I can't seem to settle down on either one approach, like to go back and forth. I think lots of folks are same way.
              Alex

Comment

I got in mind EMG single coils are humberckers in reality, as well.

Comment

My KV1 has dual 81s, and since I've never had EMGs before, I was surprised when I plugged it in. It is VERY bright, but very articulate. It's not messy or sloppy sounding at all. It took me a while to get used to how different they sound, but I really like them. I find the tone control very useful, more so than for a passive pickup. I normally disconnect the tone control in my guitars, but it works great in this case. I can back off the tone, and reduce the brightness of the pickup, but it doesn't mellow it out too much like it has a tendency of doing with passives. Yes, I can get an absolute dead nuts Slayer tone, and also get a pretty damn close Jim Martin's (Faith no More) sound with the 81. I'm not going to put EMGs in all my guitars, but I really like them in this one.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I just made my first experience with the 81 in the bridge. And what shall I say...it still sounds like MY GUITAR.
                    I mean there's much more nut, air and harmonics to hear than I expected.
                    THEY lie.

Well, I have to admit that I'm a PU rockie. Maybe the Screaming Demon did sound more curly? Time will tell. I'll have to change 'em some more times cuz they sound quite similar.

But I cant wait to get my 60 this week [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I had dual 81's in my kelly which are currently on ebay at this moment. I personally think the kelly sounds so much better with seymour duncan Pups especially the ones it came with the JB & the 59' ive decided to put a Invader in the bridge & a full shred in the neck to see how it sounds if its not that good i have a warrior on the wall waiting for some new pups so will just swap them over. Ive enjoyed my 81's for the past 10yrs but feel its time for a change they are just too much at times. Plus theres always the exciting feeling when ya change anything on ya guitar to see how it responds kinda sad i know lol

Comment

if your EMG sounds too "thin" it is most likely not close enough to the strings.

the difference between passive's and EMG's are best summed up in the difference between "Kill 'Em All" (passives)and "Master of Puppets" (emg's)
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          if your EMG sounds too "thin" it is most likely not close enough to the strings.

the difference between passive's and EMG's are best summed up in the difference between "Kill 'Em All" (passives)and "Master of Puppets" (emg's)

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but that's Marshall vs. Mesa as well, IIRC. But yes, I have to agree with your comparison. I get the same tones as Master with my EMG's as well. I've never tried playing Kill 'Em All with EMG's, but it sounds great with my 1963 P90 equiped SG Special.

Comment

yes but there was marshalls used on MOP as well as boogies.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I guess my IIRC is broken. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think David Gilmour sounded sterile when I saw Pink Floyd twice in 1988. As a matter of fact, his tone made me cry.

Listen to The Delicate Sound of Thunder album and hear for yourself.

Mike
                                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                                X