Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs.. Sterile?

Hi!
    I've heard a lot of people say that the EMGs are sterile and only suits for Metal, Is this true or can I get EMGs and play blues or rock with them?

Sorry If there Is an obvious answer to this, but I'm new to this pickup thing.

Thanks!

My Three Sons

1. Mutt guitar with an 89 bridge and neck S. The whole tone rocks or sweetens up with selector change. Very controllable. Best EMG combination I own.

2. 650XL with an 85,S,S that is too hot, feedsback, and is only suited for all rock/metal, no compromises.

3. Model 7 with the T-set. It doesn't get vintage Tele twang. It has a twang all it's own but would rather rock out.

My experience: EMG's like to be rode hard. They don't seem to get mellow response to backing off the volume pot like my Duncans. For balls out playing hard rock or metal, they are awesome.

Comment

Re: My Three Sons

Thanks for the answer!

Comment

1. Charvel Fusion Deluxe with an 81 Bridge and an S neck. I find this works really well for Great White's "Rock Me". The single for the clean / jazzy blues parts, then kick in the 81 for the hard rock parts. BTW I have this wired for 18 volts.

2. 1. is the only axe I have with EMG's at the moment. I have a ZW set and a spare 85 but haven't hooked them up yet (damn KE3 - can't fit the battery in the cavity).

So, to answer your question, the singles seem very good for blues, and the 89 can be "split" for blues.

I know Gilmore used to use EMG's in Pink Floyd. Don't know what he currently uses.

Comment

If you put an 81 in the neck of a Paul, you will get that beautiful, singing "woman's tone".
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

i love the 85 in bridge and neck. i haven't had much luck with 81s since i find them a bit too agressive and bright in the guitars i tried them in.

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              My experience: EMG's like to be rode hard. They don't seem to get mellow response to backing off the volume pot like my Duncans. For balls out playing hard rock or metal, they are awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
              In my experience, they do clean up nicely when backing off the volume control. Clean sounds I think are also very nice, not sterile sounding at all. And their tone controls are the most responsive controls I've ever used, not like some others where you need to turn it almost all the way for there to be a slight change in tone. I think the 85 in the bridge rules with either a 60 or 81 in the neck! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here's another Q:

Do you here the air and the quarks of a well-played alder guitar???

Comment

Yes, the tone is still dependent on the wood. EMGs are just a little more consistent from guitar to guitar.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

81 bridge, 60 neck in a DXMG. Definately Rock/metal. 60 is great clean, but doesnt have the 'shine' of a single coil. much more mellow. 81 is VERY bright.

Comment

How bright is the 81 compared to the Sreaming Demon?

Comment

Re: EMGs.. Sterile?

Thank you all for the answers!
                        And what I get from this is:
                        If I use an 89 or 81 In the bridge possition I can get a good rock/blues sound.

Comment

Personally, I consistently don't like 81s on bolt-ons - don't ask why, but I like them in a neck thru: maybe it's all in my head!

EMGs are now the only pickups I'll retrofit if I'm not happy with the current sound of a guitar - Because they seem to depend less on the guitar than passive pickups, you have a fair idea what you're going to get.
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks!
                            What's the difference between 89 and 81?

The thing I don't like about my current pickups Is that they are very noisy, and they tend to get muddy when I play rhythm. The EMGs will solve this right?

Comment

If im right, a 89 is an 85 than can be tapped to a single?

Yes; the EMGs are very tight.

I also had a EMG85 Bridge, 60 Neck in a DK1. Loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X