PDA

View Full Version : Model 2 with a WEIRD problem. Help.....?

PowerTube
12-19-2012, 08:33 PM
I sure hope someone can help me figure this one out.

A couple of years ago, I got a wild hair to attempt a "bolted steel" paint job on my Model 2. The paint job was mixed results, but here's the real problem. When I put it back together, I was suddenly having to raise the bridge adjustment screws WAY high to get the strings to clear the fretboard. This was with the original JT-6 trem. I had no idea what was wrong, but I left it unassembled for a couple of years.

Then the other night, I decided to put it back together because I now have a JT580 that came off of my DK2M when I replaced it with an original Floyd.

Same problem:

http://home.comcast.net/~techie4/trem1.jpg

As you can see, I have to jack the trem to the sky to even get the strings to not fret out. I know it wasn't this way before.

So my first theory is that the neck pocket has changed somehow. But nope:

http://home.comcast.net/~techie4/trem2.jpg

I really want to get this guitar back together.

Ideas?

Axewielder
12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Did the neck pocket get magically shimmed somehow? :think:

plon
12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Model 2's had an angled neck pocket for a top mount trem with rearward movement. I've seen some that high before.

plon
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.jacksonfanatic.com/for-sale/charvel-jackson-model-2-guitar-jt-6-tremelo-original/30265/

plon
12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Here's an old Jackson bolt on I used to have. Same deal.

http://sixstringsolutions.com/images/Jackson%204650/PIC00024.jpg

Alvin_Wilson
12-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Did the neck pocket get magically shimmed somehow? :think:

Paint in the neck pocket?

MetalMedal II
12-19-2012, 09:39 PM
My first thought was a shim too. Specifically, could there have been a small shim that fell out unnoticed when you first unbolted the neck that had the neck at your original angle? What goes against that theory though is that I have never seen a shim in a Model series neck pocket…and I’ve owned quite a few over the years. As suggested, paint in the pocket may create a shim as well. The pic of the Floyd posts don’t look too far out from what I remember though.

I prefer the Floyd pretty far from the body like yours, but you can always place a shim in there to get your preferred neck angle.

xenophobe
12-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe you're just not used to non-recessed trems?

The post height and height of the bridge off the body look fine.

PowerTube
12-19-2012, 10:44 PM
My first thought was a shim too. Specifically, could there have been a small shim that fell out unnoticed when you first unbolted the neck that had the neck at your original angle? What goes against that theory though is that I have never seen a shim in a Model series neck pocket…and I’ve owned quite a few over the years. As suggested, paint in the pocket may create a shim as well. The pic of the Floyd posts don’t look too far out from what I remember though.

I prefer the Floyd pretty far from the body like yours, but you can always place a shim in there to get your preferred neck angle.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I actually thought about the above theories. Yes, I did paint inside the neck pocket, but it was sprayed and very thin. I also considered that maybe there was a shim before, but I sure don't remember seeing one. Plus, if it had been shimmed before, wouldn't the neck have not sat flush in the pocket? I have some old photos from when I first got it. I don't have a clear angle but I'm pretty positive that it wasn't this high before.

Axewielder
12-19-2012, 10:49 PM
It doesn't take much of a shim to throw off the neck angle. Maybe you can try scraping all the paint in the pocket off?

PowerTube
12-19-2012, 10:57 PM
It doesn't take much of a shim to throw off the neck angle. Maybe you can try scraping all the paint in the pocket off?

Hmmm..... There's a thought. I never should have painted the pocket in the first place, I guess.

But the scraping idea bugs me because I might have a "mishap." Is there a cleaner and safer way to remove it?

conker2021
12-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I've heard of factories, specifically Fender, slipping tiny pieces of paper in the neck pocket to get the perfect angle. Try that perhaps?

PowerTube
12-19-2012, 11:51 PM
I've heard of factories, specifically Fender, slipping tiny pieces of paper in the neck pocket to get the perfect angle. Try that perhaps?

But if I shim it enough to change the neck angle, even slightly, won't there be a visible gap in the neck pocket?

DonP
12-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Take a wide chisel and carefully take some material away from the BACK of the neck pocket, closer to the bridge.

Or do like I did back in 1990 and take a router to it. You'll need to make a jig. I sunk the neck pocket because I don't like a neck that "pokes out" way high above the neck pocket. I like just the fretboard and a little of the neck above the face of the guitar.

PowerTube
12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Well, I guess this will be my next project. If I can get it back the way it was, I'll be happy. Maybe spraying the neck pocket is what caused this.

BigE13
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
You should be able to lightly sand the neck pocket back to wood without messing it up. A shim in the back of the pocket will increase the angle and you will have to jack the Floyd up even higher to clear the frets. I do not think a shim was the issue. It was probably high to begin with but that little bit of paint may have changed the angle just enough to have to back out the posts a little more to clear. I would do the router deal as a last resort only as you could ruin the body if you don't do it right...

sully
12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
A mild stripper (or straight lacquer thinner) used carefully should clear that up for you.

tomanyjacksons
12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
A little bit of paint in the pocket can make a big difference in height at the trem. Get it back to wood.

PowerTube
12-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Update: She's better than ever! I'll post pics over the weekend, but I slightly shaved the neck pocket down on the body side, then shimmed it with two strips of duct tape. I can't believe how much difference two tiny pieces of tape make, and you can't tell at all by looking at the neck joint.

Thanks, guys. It's nice to have this one back to life.

:)

DonP
12-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Cool!

PowerTube
12-21-2012, 09:22 PM
I took some "after" pics tonight. And yes, I should have cleaned it up first, but it's Friday and...... :(

Anyway, the trem sits nice and close now:
http://home.comcast.net/~techie4/fixed1.jpg

The action is nice and low with NO buzz anywhere:
http://home.comcast.net/~techie4/fixed2.jpg

I replaced the Kahler style nut (the crappy design) with a real Floyd nut in the right location:
http://home.comcast.net/~techie4/fixed3.jpg

Here is an overall pic. Hey, it was my first attempt, I was young and needed the money, my dog ate my homework and your check is in the mail:
http://home.comcast.net/~techie4/fixed4.jpg

It's a very nice player again and that's the best part.

:)

tomanyjacksons
12-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Looking good, sir.

Carbuff
12-21-2012, 10:35 PM
What did you end up doing to get the trem so low? My stock model 2 is much higher than that as well as my sd1 promod.

PowerTube
12-21-2012, 10:56 PM
What did you end up doing to get the trem so low? My stock model 2 is much higher than that as well as my sd1 promod.

The details are in my earlier post, but I slightly carved out the neck pocket and then shimmed with two pieces of duct tape at the outer edge.

straycat
12-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Love the worn look.

Carbuff
12-22-2012, 02:47 AM
The details are in my earlier post, but I slightly carved out the neck pocket and then shimmed with two pieces of duct tape at the outer edge.

Duh, I missed that post. Great that you were able to get it the way you like it.

warlok
12-22-2012, 06:20 AM
[/QUOTE] Hey, it was my first attempt, I was young and needed the money, my dog ate my homework and your check is in the mail:[/QUOTE]

You suck, you're a whore, you're full of shit, and where's my money??!! Oh, BTW, looks good man. Nice job!!:Headbang:

MikeStrat
12-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm glad you got the guitar back together. That is frustrating. I'm just amazed that a thin coat of paint threw off the neck that much.?