Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 2 with a WEIRD problem. Help.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 with a WEIRD problem. Help.....?

I sure hope someone can help me figure this one out.

A couple of years ago, I got a wild hair to attempt a "bolted steel" paint job on my Model 2. The paint job was mixed results, but here's the real problem. When I put it back together, I was suddenly having to raise the bridge adjustment screws WAY high to get the strings to clear the fretboard. This was with the original JT-6 trem. I had no idea what was wrong, but I left it unassembled for a couple of years.

Then the other night, I decided to put it back together because I now have a JT580 that came off of my DK2M when I replaced it with an original Floyd.

Same problem:

As you can see, I have to jack the trem to the sky to even get the strings to not fret out. I know it wasn't this way before.

So my first theory is that the neck pocket has changed somehow. But nope:

I really want to get this guitar back together.

Ideas?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Did the neck pocket get magically shimmed somehow? :think:

Comment

Model 2's had an angled neck pocket for a top mount trem with rearward movement. I've seen some that high before.

Comment

http://www.jacksonfanatic.com/for-sa...riginal/30265/

Comment

Here's an old Jackson bolt on I used to have. Same deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Did the neck pocket get magically shimmed somehow? :think:
            Paint in the neck pocket?
            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

My first thought was a shim too. Specifically, could there have been a small shim that fell out unnoticed when you first unbolted the neck that had the neck at your original angle? What goes against that theory though is that I have never seen a shim in a Model series neck pocket…and I’ve owned quite a few over the years. As suggested, paint in the pocket may create a shim as well. The pic of the Floyd posts don’t look too far out from what I remember though.

I prefer the Floyd pretty far from the body like yours, but you can always place a shim in there to get your preferred neck angle.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Maybe you're just not used to non-recessed trems?

The post height and height of the bridge off the body look fine.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                  My first thought was a shim too. Specifically, could there have been a small shim that fell out unnoticed when you first unbolted the neck that had the neck at your original angle? What goes against that theory though is that I have never seen a shim in a Model series neck pocket…and I’ve owned quite a few over the years. As suggested, paint in the pocket may create a shim as well. The pic of the Floyd posts don’t look too far out from what I remember though.

I prefer the Floyd pretty far from the body like yours, but you can always place a shim in there to get your preferred neck angle.
                  Thanks for the input, everyone.

I actually thought about the above theories. Yes, I did paint inside the neck pocket, but it was sprayed and very thin. I also considered that maybe there was a shim before, but I sure don't remember seeing one. Plus, if it had been shimmed before, wouldn't the neck have not sat flush in the pocket? I have some old photos from when I first got it. I don't have a clear angle but I'm pretty positive that it wasn't this high before.

Comment

It doesn't take much of a shim to throw off the neck angle. Maybe you can try scraping all the paint in the pocket off?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      It doesn't take much of a shim to throw off the neck angle. Maybe you can try scraping all the paint in the pocket off?
                      Hmmm..... There's a thought. I never should have painted the pocket in the first place, I guess.

But the scraping idea bugs me because I might have a "mishap." Is there a cleaner and safer way to remove it?

Comment

I've heard of factories, specifically Fender, slipping tiny pieces of paper in the neck pocket to get the perfect angle. Try that perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by conker2021 View Post
                          I've heard of factories, specifically Fender, slipping tiny pieces of paper in the neck pocket to get the perfect angle. Try that perhaps?
                          But if I shim it enough to change the neck angle, even slightly, won't there be a visible gap in the neck pocket?

Comment

Take a wide chisel and carefully take some material away from the BACK of the neck pocket, closer to the bridge.

Or do like I did back in 1990 and take a router to it. You'll need to make a jig. I sunk the neck pocket because I don't like a neck that "pokes out" way high above the neck pocket. I like just the fretboard and a little of the neck above the face of the guitar.

Comment

Well, I guess this will be my next project. If I can get it back the way it was, I'll be happy. Maybe spraying the neck pocket is what caused this.

Comment

Working...
                              X