Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 2 with a WEIRD problem. Help.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be able to lightly sand the neck pocket back to wood without messing it up. A shim in the back of the pocket will increase the angle and you will have to jack the Floyd up even higher to clear the frets. I do not think a shim was the issue. It was probably high to begin with but that little bit of paint may have changed the angle just enough to have to back out the posts a little more to clear. I would do the router deal as a last resort only as you could ruin the body if you don't do it right...
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

A mild stripper (or straight lacquer thinner) used carefully should clear that up for you.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

A little bit of paint in the pocket can make a big difference in height at the trem. Get it back to wood.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Update: She's better than ever! I'll post pics over the weekend, but I slightly shaved the neck pocket down on the body side, then shimmed it with two strips of duct tape. I can't believe how much difference two tiny pieces of tape make, and you can't tell at all by looking at the neck joint.

Thanks, guys. It's nice to have this one back to life.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I took some "after" pics tonight. And yes, I should have cleaned it up first, but it's Friday and......

Anyway, the trem sits nice and close now:

The action is nice and low with NO buzz anywhere:

I replaced the Kahler style nut (the crappy design) with a real Floyd nut in the right location:

Here is an overall pic. Hey, it was my first attempt, I was young and needed the money, my dog ate my homework and your check is in the mail:

It's a very nice player again and that's the best part.

Comment

Looking good, sir.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

What did you end up doing to get the trem so low? My stock model 2 is much higher than that as well as my sd1 promod.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                    What did you end up doing to get the trem so low? My stock model 2 is much higher than that as well as my sd1 promod.
                    The details are in my earlier post, but I slightly carved out the neck pocket and then shimmed with two pieces of duct tape at the outer edge.

Comment

Love the worn look.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                        The details are in my earlier post, but I slightly carved out the neck pocket and then shimmed with two pieces of duct tape at the outer edge.
                        Duh, I missed that post. Great that you were able to get it the way you like it.

Comment

[/QUOTE] Hey, it was my first attempt, I was young and needed the money, my dog ate my homework and your check is in the mail:[/QUOTE]

You suck, you're a whore, you're full of shit, and where's my money??!! Oh, BTW, looks good man. Nice job!!
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I'm glad you got the guitar back together. That is frustrating. I'm just amazed that a thin coat of paint threw off the neck that much.?
                            "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                            I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Working...
                            X