• Show
Clear All

• Jonas - Daddy - Need help with main verse riff

Calling my fellow JCFers here.

Can anyone help?

My new band wants to learn this rockin' tune by Jonas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWisfpzQe8Y

I can't figure out the 2 chords @ 0:18-0:19

Then, they starts a cool funkin' riff in the back from 0:19 to 0:42 that I can't really figure out. :think:

My ears seem very lazy.. It's been a damn while since I've learn such tunes!

Can someone give me some hints on how to play it? And don't forget those 2 chords!

Thanks in advance.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

I thought this is a Jonas Fags thread

B and A octave chords... and B octave chord has a little bit of open A string creeping.

The funky riffin' is real simple, just mess around in E blues box area. First sing the notes along with the tune, then sing and start applying those on your guitar. If you get them right then start working on the right feel... muted chunkin' ghost notes between and try playing the melodic notes with a slight touch of (mostly) muted open string(s) which fit the best, if needed.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks Endrik for "opening" my ideas!

Here is the intro so far (I'm no pro at tabbing so don't comment!):

E|----------------------------------------------------
      B|----------------------------------------------------
      G|----------------------------------------------------
      D|------P--H--------P--H--------P--H--------P--H-----5
      A|----7--5--7-----7--5--7-----7--5--7-----7--5--7-----
      E|-0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----------0--

D|------P--H--------P--H--------P--H--------P--H------
      E|-0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----------0-3

D|------P--H--------P--H--------P--H--------P--H-----5
      E|-0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----------0--

G|----------------------------------------7--6--------
      D|------P--H--------P--H------------------7--7--------
      A|----7--5--7-----7--5--7-------H--H------5--4--------
      E|-0-----------0-----------0--5--6--7------------------

I'm working on the verse! Not easy but your guidelines are helping!

Let me know anything wrong if you can help more.

Cheers!
      JB aka BenoA

Comment

Would that make sense for the verse riff?

E|---------------------------------------------------
        B|--------x----x-x-8b^r-x-x-x------------------------
        G|----H---x-7--x-x------x-x-x-9--9-------------------
        D|--7--9--x-7--x-x------x-x-x-9--9-------------------
        A|--7------------------------------------------------
        E|----------------------------------3----------------

B|--------x----x-x-8b^r--x-x-x------------------------
        G|----H---x-7--x-x-------x-x-x-9----------------------
        D|--7--9--x-7--x-x-------x-x-x-9----------------------
        A|--7-----------------------------5--7----------------

Let me know :think:
        Last edited by BenoA; 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM. Reason: mistake in the tab!
        JB aka BenoA

Comment

is this tune somewhere with a better quality? kinda hard to hear all the voicings correctly with bulit-in laptop speakers... I can pick out the root notes... the others are subtle at best

the chords at the end of the main riff.... I believe the roots are B and A... I'm trying to discern the voicings.... you wrote down D power chord and A minor without the fifth... I don't really hear a D power chord... the root is definitely B in my opinion... but I do subtly hear D... so I guess it's B major without the fifth... I guess you have to play B on the D string and D on the G string. And I feel that there's some lower note blending in. Try maybe open A or D note on the A string.
          I believe you got the second one right.
          In both cases I subtly feel that there maybe an octave voicing... maybe it's because the sound here is trebly and muddy and the computer distorts root notes' upper harmonic... but both chords are definitely over dubbed so maybe he played the chords with different voicings. You don't have to play the octaves of course because 3rds are much more important and the fingerings would be uncomfortable.

as far as the verse riff goes I wouldn't even bother writing all the ghost notes and stuff down... no one plays exactly the same way twice when it comes to funky rhythm guitar.. if you play them the way they seem to fit... then it's correct
          as far as the main root notes go... I think you are pretty much correct... oh hell it's sounds really muddy but I'm sure the voicings are pretty much spot on too. if it sounds good then it sounds good.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

now that I listened it with higher quality... there's not much to add...
            the first chord... the B chord... it sounds most likely that it's played so that the B note is on the G string and D is on the B string... and there's a little bit open D blending in.
            That being said you can play it where it's the most comfortable you... doesn't make much difference.

Oh and there's no added octave notes... at first I thought that there were added octaves with overdubbed guitar on the Chorus part too, where in second turn the riff ends with A# on the D string... but now hearing it with decent quality... no, just single note.
            The chorus riff is very easy, I bet you wont have any problems with it.

As far as the verse riff goes... all the main notes were spot on... everything else between is just a feel thing... if they fit rhythmically then you'll sound right

the only thing I'd do is trying to play exactly the same notes and stuff but in different positions... to find which way it would be the most comfortable to play or even finding what sounds the best and closest to the recording
            Last edited by Endrik; 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Endrick for all the help.

About the "B" for the first chord, it makes sense:

e-----------
              B----------
              G---7--6--
              D---9--7--
              A-----------
              E-----------

I'm at office and don't have my guitar to verify it but I bet it something similar to this (see above).

Yep, the chorus is quite easy, this is why I haven't tabbed it out.

Thanks a lot again.

Cheers,
              JB aka BenoA

Comment

yep, that's certainly the most comfortable way to play it... I'd play it like that

anyway rock on... it's a really cool tune man

Comment

Thanks for all the help buddy!
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

Working...
                  X