No announcement yet.

Listening to players play out of tune.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listening to players play out of tune.

I for one, never use to care if my guitar 100% tuned or not, but ever since I started caring about pitch and vibrato a lot, tuning is something that is super important to me now! I definitely don't have "perfect pitch", possibly far from it, but as of lately, if I'm listening to a song, and the guitars aren't in tune, it really sets me off and practically kills the song for me, I end up paying attention to how out of tune they are.Even if I'm playing, and I notice my guitar is slightly out of tune, I have to stop and tune it. It's gotten pretty crazy, anyone else go through this issue?
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

no, you are not the only one... intonation is one of the most important things... it's such a headache to hear a guitarist bend or vibrate out of tune... you don't need a perfect pitch (which is mostly recognizing different notes instantly) to have an accurate ear.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Good thing you don't live in South Texas! We have a lot of Norteno bands and the play a guitar called the Bajo Sexto. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajo_sexto Most of the players remove the top strings and they almost always sound out of tune. This guy has all the string and sounds better than most. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqKmI2iLwgs
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
        no, you are not the only one... intonation is one of the most important things... it's such a headache to hear a guitarist bend or vibrate out of tune... you don't need a perfect pitch (which is mostly recognizing different notes instantly) to have an accurate ear.
        I can't believe I left out intonation.. That's really been driving me up the wall as well. The funniest thing about this though, is that if I'm tuning a guitar, I still use a tuner, I definitely can't tune up perfectly without it... Kind of embarrassing.
        Originally posted by horns666
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Perfect pitch isn't required, but relative pitch sure is. If you can't tell me that one note is two steps higher than another one, then you shouldn't be playing guitar.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            Perfect pitch isn't required, but relative pitch sure is. If you can't tell me that one note is two steps higher than another one, then you shouldn't be playing guitar.
            yeah but you don't use relative pitch to tell if something is in tune or not.

there's so many levels of what the ears can do... recognize the pitch of the note, recognize the relationship between different notes, recognize the pitch tune-intonation wise, recognize different timbres (you hear the difference between a strat and les paul or in worst cases tuba and violin )

but all they are closely related as they are in a certain area of the right side of the brain... that's where the creativity, intonation, passion etc. comes from as opposite to the left side of the brain which is for logic, calculations etc.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I can tell when my guitar is in tune.

I can tell when my guitar is out of tune with people I'm playing with.

I can tell when my intonation is off when playing along with a rhythm track.

But damn it if old Aerosmith don't sound really good - and they were all kinds of out of tune.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I started out on piano and have perfect pitch, but have been playing stringed instruments long enough to de-tune (e.g. play guitar in Eb) and transpose in real time as I play.

My first guitar teacher probably forced me to develop this skill, because he would tune his guitar so that it was pretty much in tune with itself, and say,

"Well, that's about good enough for rock'n'roll".
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Then DON'T listen to Van Halen's version of "Dance the Night Away" !!! (middle part ... ouch !!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
                    I for one, never use to care if my guitar 100% tuned or not, but ever since I started caring about pitch and vibrato a lot, tuning is something that is super important to me now! I definitely don't have "perfect pitch", possibly far from it, but as of lately, if I'm listening to a song, and the guitars aren't in tune, it really sets me off and practically kills the song for me, I end up paying attention to how out of tune they are.Even if I'm playing, and I notice my guitar is slightly out of tune, I have to stop and tune it. It's gotten pretty crazy, anyone else go through this issue?
                    My ears are getting better, but still aren't that good that songs are ruined for me if the guitars are out of tune.

Comment

I have no problem with the guitars being out of tune if the FEEL is still there. I have more of a problem if the singer has problems with pitch - one of the biggest reasons I despised the whole grunge era.

Comment

I honestly don't ever remember hearing people play out of tune on a studio recording. I notice all sorts of other things (timing issues, obvious editing cuts, and other weird things like that).
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                          I honestly don't ever remember hearing people play out of tune on a studio recording. I notice all sorts of other things (timing issues, obvious editing cuts, and other weird things like that).
                          ever heard Sonic Youth

Comment

I sold my 7-string Warrior to Nick from the band Zilch last year after NAMM. I went to their MySpace to check out their stuff, and I like it - except one of the soloists is playing horribly out of tune. Not just warbly, need-a-tuner out, but rather everything's one fret higher than the rest of the song.

http://www.myspace.com/zilchband

I seriously thought about emailing the guy about it - I mean, it's gotta be a mastering issue. Like the solo is 48KHz and the mix is 44.1, but then it's on more than one track, so it's gotta be done on purpose.
                            http://www.myspace.com/zilchband

Check out Betrayal - it's on the 2nd solo.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Listening to old Led Zep really throws me off sometimes. I think they tune somewhere above or below E flat. It definitely sounds different.

Comment

Working...
                              X