Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in Phoenix? PC1 Sustainer help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone in Phoenix? PC1 Sustainer help...

Hello all! Recent lurker, first time poster, owner of two Jackson PC1 guitars. The prides of my stable! I hope I'm posting in the right forum - if not, I apologize. I'm a beginner...playing for about 8 months now, learning slowly but surely. Trying to learn music theory as I learn to play, so it's coming very very slowly. But I enjoy it, and that's all that counts for me. No world tours planned

I'm hoping to find another board member who lives in the Phoenix metro area, who has some experience with the PC1. Playing it is one thing, but making that sustainer sing is entirely another. I just don't know how to take advantage of it, or make it do what it was really designed to do. For me, it just sounds like elephants fighting. So I thought I'd post here, and see if any PC1 owners/experts/afficianados were in my area. I'll pay for lessons, or if you just want to hang and bounce ideas. Whatever. I'm at ground zero now, so whatever I can learn is an improvement! I've also got a question about identifying one of my PC1s, so I'll post that in the appropriate board later on.

Sidenote: I did post on Craigs List in my area, looking for a teacher with sustainer experience, in the "Gigs" area but the post got flagged for some reason I can't figure out. So I am making a concerted effort to meet people in my area.

Thanks all, glad to be here,
    Eric
    bcgator
    Chandler, AZ

I'm on the north east side of Phoenix, but perhaps I could help you out.
    As for your PC1's, throw some picks up in the USA Jackson section (front, back and serial) and we could help ID them.

Edit: oh and Welcome!
    -Rick

Comment

The Sustainor is best used for single notes, not chords. Use it to accent certain phrases and runs that end with a long long long long long sustained note, or as an intro or background effect where a single note fades in or drones like a violin/string ensemble effect.

Try it with a pitch shifter set to mimic a synth with lots of reverb.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, thanks for taking the time to reply. Hopefully I'm not that far away (in my learning progress) from being able to put that advice to use. I think that's a big part of my problem - I'm more anxious than my skill level will allow.

Rjohnstone, thanks for the welcome, glad to hear you're a neighbor. I live in Chandler, and work in Ahwatukee. I own the Snappy Auctions ebay store in Ahwatukee - which gives me a nice opportunity to see some great instruments. However you'd like to meet, and whenever, that would be great. Since you're doing me the favor, I'm obviously happy to do the driving and come to you. Whatever you're comfortable with, since you don't know me and I don't want to intrude on anyone's privacy. The phone number to my Snappy store is 480-706-3229. I'll post that number and start there - I don't feel comfortable asking you to post your contact info, again for privacy's sake. Whatever you can show me on the PC1 would be great - even just to watch someone show off with it a little!

Eric
        bcgator

Comment

Not a problem at all Eric.
          I'm right in the middle of a remodel on my house... replacing all the flooring this weekend.
          When I get that finished, I'll give you a shout and we can talk about what you're wanting to learn how to do.
          Sustainers are great and like Newc said, great for accenting or adding duration to a single note. But there are some other more "fun" things you can do with them as well.
          -Rick

Comment

That sounds great, Rick, thanks. That number I posted is the best way to catch me - I'm at the store from 10-6 every day M-F, so I'm easy to find. Good luck on the remodel, and please don't feel any pressure about hooking up. Whether it's one week or three weeks from now, I'm just glad to find someone in the area. I'll look forward to it.

Eric

Comment

I tell ya who really gets alot of mileage out of the sustainer is Neal Schon. Watch the last two Journey live DVD's. I got some great ideas just from watching him play.
              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Thanks Ripley, that's a good recommendation. I actually got to see Journey on their last tour, with Def Lep. Schon can work it.

Thanks again,
                Eric
                bcgator

Comment

Originally posted by bcgator View Post
                  I own the Snappy Auctions ebay store in Ahwatukee

Eric
                  bcgator
                  Hi Eric,

Surprised to see you on here. I'm the one who bought the last Solar PC1 you had listed a few months ago. You have 2 others besides the one I purchased? Damn!

Cheers,
                  Chris

Comment

Hey Chris! Lol, what a small world. Are you enjoying that Solar PC1? That guitar was beautiful - the guy who owns the UPS store that packed it for us kept staring when I opened the case to show him. He was still talking about it the next time I saw him, a couple of weeks after you received it from me.

Really, I'm far from affluent, just fortunate because of the ebay store. Because of what I do for a living, I'm on ebay all the time, so I see so much, and so many cool items come through my hands. I paid great prices for the chlorine and ash PC1s that I still have, not because I'm any smarter or richer than anyone else, I was just in the right place at the right time. More luck than anything else! They're great guitars, and we're lucky to be able to enjoy them. I just need to learn more than I already know.

Nice to hear from you, hope you're enjoying that guitar.

Eric
                    bcgator

Comment

Originally posted by bcgator View Post
                      Hey Chris! Lol, what a small world. Are you enjoying that Solar PC1? That guitar was beautiful - the guy who owns the UPS store that packed it for us kept staring when I opened the case to show him. He was still talking about it the next time I saw him, a couple of weeks after you received it from me.

Really, I'm far from affluent, just fortunate because of the ebay store. Because of what I do for a living, I'm on ebay all the time, so I see so much, and so many cool items come through my hands. I paid great prices for the chlorine and ash PC1s that I still have, not because I'm any smarter or richer than anyone else, I was just in the right place at the right time. More luck than anything else! They're great guitars, and we're lucky to be able to enjoy them. I just need to learn more than I already know.

Nice to hear from you, hope you're enjoying that guitar.

Eric
                      bcgator
                      I absolutely love it. I just wish I had a bit more time to play it here lately.

I really need to find a good local shop to take it in and have a full pro setup completed on it.

I don't blame the UPS guy at all. I see it everyday and still can't help but stare at it. I think my wife is somewhat jealous of it.

I keep meaning to post some pics of it here but just have not had the chance. Out of curiousity, what was the deciding factor on which one of the PC1's to sell off? I'd love to see pics of the 2 you kept. I have a business trip scheduled to PHX (Hyatt at Gainey Ranch?) from the 16th to 20th this month. How close are you to that area?

Cheers,
                      Chris

Comment

Most of my guitars are either natural in color, or solar/tobacco burst type finishes, and the Chlorine is the only differently-colored instrument so I kept it just because it was different. Otherwise it would have been a toss-up between selling the solar you bought, or the chlorine I kept. I like both just as much. The ash-body is very unusual, so I'll keep that as long as my situation allows, or until I die.

Hyatt-Gainey....I think that's in Scottsdale? I'm in Chandler, not a far drive, maybe 20 minutes. I'll check those dates - I may be out of town for part or most of that time. I think I may know someone who works at that Hyatt, because the name sure rings a bell. I'll check that!

Eric

Comment

Cool Man!

Post of pics of those PC1's when you get the chance!

Cheers,
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            Not a problem at all Eric.
                            I'm right in the middle of a remodel on my house... replacing all the flooring this weekend.
                            When I get that finished, I'll give you a shout and we can talk about what you're wanting to learn how to do.
                            Sustainers are great and like Newc said, great for accenting or adding duration to a single note. But there are some other more "fun" things you can do with them as well.
                            This is the guy to go to for PC1 advice.

He helped me when I got mine with some Sustainer problems I was having on my PC1. I thought there was something wrong with me but it ended up begin the Sustainer itself.

Comment

Here you go Chris...

http://www.bcgator.net/Guitars/Guitars.htm

I'll probably post this link on the Jackson USA thread, and ask if anyone can offer more info on these Ash body PC1s. I've only seen one other - Kelvinator on this board has one. Mine is dated from 2001. I called Fender/Jackson, and got a nice guy on the phone, but that method of research seems like it might be a bit of a wild goose chase - he was very familiar with the Fender stuff, but knew surprisingly little about the Jackson lines.

I'd like to know how many were made, and for how long, and anything else about their history/origins.

Anyway, enjoy the pix,

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X