Pinch harmonic ease and difficulty on well-built guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinch harmonic ease and difficulty on well-built guitars

At the moment, I own two electric guitars, a Jackson Shannon Soloist and an ESP/Edwards Les Paul Custom. Both are the best guitars I have ever owned and it is unlikely I will ever get rid of them.

I have difficulty squeezing pinch harmonics out of the Soloist but they fly off my Les Paul with ease.

What factors contribute to how easy pinch harmonics are to perform on electric guitars of similar build quality?

I honestly did not think the pickups mattered too much, until I realized that the Seymour Duncan JB is described on their website as having "harmonics galore". I have a JB in the bridge of the Les Paul, and the Duncan Designed version of the JB in the bridge of my old Jackson KE3 which also had excellent harmonics and amazing still when I upgraded the KE3's pickups to EMG-85 and EMG-89.

I recently swapped pickups in the Shannon Soloist, and while the sound is overall better, the pinch harmonics stayed reasonably difficult to articulate well.

It's frustrating because I want to do divebombs and pullups from pinch harmonics and really make this guitar scream.

I'm a pinch Harmonic fool on my Strats and my Les Paul... It takes a little effort for my Jacksons.... and I don't think they sound as good.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

I think it's a scale length thing. I don't own anything other than Jackson or Charvel guitars, but every time I try a Fender Strat in a music store it's pinch harmonic heaven...I can't say the same for Les Paul type guitars, for me it requires much more effort and concentration. My Soloist is a bit easier, but not as easy as a Strat...if only they weren't so ugly/weedy.

Comment

I haven't found a difference whatsoever for pinch harmonics with guitars..I can do 'em on any guitars including acoustics..and even on bass!

What I have discovered is different amps and gain structures make a HUGE difference of how harmonics and squeals are conveyed.

Even tho my Uber has gobs of gain, it isn't nearly "ping" friendly as my Marshall.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It's a scale length and construction thing. I find that I have to move my picking hand away from my "comfort zone" to get harmonics on some guitars.
          I'm currently setting up a little cheapy Les Paul Jr-alike for a friend. I had pretty much decided that it was a toneless plank, as I just couldn't pull harmonics. However, I tried picking the strings much further toward the neck joint, over where the neck pickup would have been, and the thing screams! I can get sick low-end howls that'd make Zakk Wylde get a shower and a shave for.

Comment

Have you tried pinching them up and down the body? Could be that the sweet spot moves a fraction of an inch from where you're used to pulling them.

I am convinced that certain strings brands/types are shit for pinching as well. I use DR Highbeams on most stuff. Squeals galore.

Vass

Comment

No issues here with either my SL2H (stock pickups) or my Gibson R0 Les Paul with Burstbuckers 1 & 2 (low output Alnico II).

Comment

I can get pinch harmonics on my PC1, Austin LP copy and my RG560 with ease.
                My 5A is dead. It's a struggle to make that bitch squeal. It has a JB in it just like the LP copy.
                My two strats are hit and miss.
                -Rick

Comment

You just have to look for the sweet spot on any guitar..I never had any problems.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    I have difficulty squeezing pinch harmonics out of the Soloist but they fly off my Les Paul with ease.
                    that's b/c Zakk plays a LP man, come on!
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                      It's a scale length and construction thing. I find that I have to move my picking hand away from my "comfort zone" to get harmonics on some guitars.
                      I'm currently setting up a little cheapy Les Paul Jr-alike for a friend. I had pretty much decided that it was a toneless plank, as I just couldn't pull harmonics. However, I tried picking the strings much further toward the neck joint, over where the neck pickup would have been, and the thing screams! I can get sick low-end howls that'd make Zakk Wylde get a shower and a shave for.
                      Snoogs said it best..IMO!

ya just gotta find the g spot.

Comment

I think strings and pickups also play a major part in being able to squeeze out pinch harmonics... If you have old, used, corroded strings, it will not carry all harmonic frequencies as prominently (or for as long) as new strings, and if you have pickups that aren't high output / trebly, then that won't help either...

Comment

Originally posted by varador View Post
                          I think strings and pickups also play a major part in being able to squeeze out pinch harmonics... If you have old, used, corroded strings, it will not carry all harmonic frequencies as prominently (or for as long) as new strings, and if you have pickups that aren't high output / trebly, then that won't help either...
                          ..no..that's not it.

Comment

I'm still confused, what pickup is in your Shannon Soloist bridge position now? The original bridge pickup in it is a Duncan Pearly Gates which is a pretty weak bridge pickup although I like it as a neck pickup.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

The Architect - Hello, Neo.
                              Neo - Who are you?
                              The Architect - I am the Architect. I created the matrix. I've been waiting for you. You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant.
                              Neo - Why am I here?
                              The Architect - Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably, here.
                              Neo - You haven't answered my question.
                              The Architect - Quite right. Interesting. That was quicker than the others.
                              *The responses of the other Ones appear on the monitors: "Others? What others? How many? Answer me!"*
                              The Architect - The matrix is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the sixth version.
                              *Again, the responses of the other Ones appear on the monitors: "Five versions? Three? I've been lied too. This is bullshit."*
                              Neo: There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.
                              The Architect - Precisely. As you are undoubtedly gathering, the anomaly's systemic, creating fluctuations in even the most simplistic equations.
                              *Once again, the responses of the other Ones appear on the monitors: "You can't control me! F*ck you! I'm going to kill you! You can't make me do anything!*
                              Neo - Choice. The problem is choice.
                              *The scene cuts to Trinity fighting an agent, and then back to the Architect's room*
                              The Architect - The first matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is as apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being, thus I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. However, I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus, the answer was stumbled upon by another, an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the father of the matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother.
                              Neo - The Oracle.
                              The Architect - Please. As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99.9% of all test subjects accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice, even if they were only aware of the choice at a near unconscious level. While this answer functioned, it was obviously fundamentally flawed, thus creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that if left unchecked might threaten the system itself. Ergo, those that refused the program, while a minority, if unchecked, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster.
                              Neo - This is about Zion.
                              The Architect - You are here because Zion is about to be destroyed. Its every living inhabitant terminated, its entire existence eradicated.
                              Neo - Bullshit.
                              *The responses of the other Ones appear on the monitors: "Bullshit!"*
                              The Architect - Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.
                              *Scene cuts to Trinity fighting an agent, and then back to the Architects room.*
                              The Architect - The function of the One is now to return to the source, allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry, reinserting the prime program. After which you will be required to select from the matrix 23 individuals, 16 female, 7 male, to rebuild Zion. Failure to comply with this process will result in a cataclysmic system crash killing everyone connected to the matrix, which coupled with the extermination of Zion will ultimately result in the extinction of the entire human race.
                              Neo - You won't let it happen, you can't. You need human beings to survive.
                              The Architect - There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept. However, the relevant issue is whether or not you are ready to accept the responsibility for the death of every human being in this world.
                              *The Architect presses a button on a pen that he is holding, and images of people from all over the matrix appear on the monitors*
                              The Architect - It is interesting reading your reactions. Your five predecessors were by design based on a similar predication, a contingent affirmation that was meant to create a profound attachment to the rest of your species, facilitating the function of the one. While the others experienced this in a very general way, your experience is far more specific. Vis-a-vis, love.
                              *Images of Trinity fighting the agent from Neo's dream appear on the monitors*
                              Neo - Trinity.
                              The Architect - Apropos, she entered the matrix to save your life at the cost of her own.
                              Neo - No!
                              The Architect - Which brings us at last to the moment of truth, wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed, and the anomaly revealed as both beginning, and end. There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the source, and the salvation of Zion. The door to the left leads back to the matrix, to her, and to the end of your species. As you adequately put, the problem is choice. But we already know what you're going to do, don't we? Already I can see the chain reaction, the chemical precursors that signal the onset of emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic, and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you from the simple, and obvious truth: she is going to die, and there is nothing that you can do to stop it.
                              *Neo walks to the door on his left*
                              The Architect - Humph. Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness.
                              Neo - If I were you, I would hope that we don't meet again.
                              The Architect - We won't.
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X