Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

right hand position: to anchor or not to anchor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No anchoring here, for the most part, except when picking arpeggios I sometimes grab the body with the pinky for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      I anchor, but I need to get away from it.
      The same thing is showing up on my gloss black DKMGT.
      Look what it does to the finish on my guitars:

yep. check out the les paul on the right.

Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

anchoring is bad. i rest my arm on the curve of the body and lay my palm on the bridge.

Comment

I anchor my ring finger. I thought it was a bad thing, and tried to not anchor for a while, then I realized - do what works best for you. Plus, I noticed from watching their videos that Yngwie, Vinnie Moore, Impellitteri, Michael Angelo, and Petrucci anchor. If it's good enough for them..........
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by Blazphemer View Post
            how do you guys hold your picking hand?
            do you anchor one or more fingers one the body of the guitar, or does your hand float closed over the strings? also do you have different approaches when playing rythm than when playing lead?
            1. Whatever is comfortable is what works for me.
            Whatever the song calls for and I can learn my hand to play it that way, is the intended goal, thus after awhile becomes comfortable.
            I have no set way of doing it.
            There are times when my hand feels like its not resting I'll move it abit to get it to feel right. I don't look in the mirror at my hand and fingers and etc my hand will tell me how its doing and I adjust it.

Originally posted by Blazphemer View Post
            what, in your experience, is the proper way to pick and why?
            2. See number one. Same principle and training of hand applies.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              I anchor, but I need to get away from it.
              The same thing is showing up on my gloss black DKMGT.
              Look what it does to the finish on my guitars:

That's a beautiful guitar!
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I do the fist thing. I tried pinkie anchoring but I just couldn't get used to it. I think it's partly because I have short pinkies but also I can't do sweeps or any rhythm while anchored because my pinkie gets in the way.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Working...
                X