Les Paul's Dry Left Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul's Dry Left Hand

I remember reading somewhere (but not where... prolly Guitar Player Magazine or some such rag...) that Les Paul used to put a plastic bag on his left hand when he took a shower.

Now, supposedly it wasn't a perverted thing, so we can trim about 13 posts out of this thread (even though they might be funny)

His theory was that getting his calluses wet destroyed them.

I tend to be of the same thought, but never went to that extreme.

However... I've found a nice little solution for those of you who agree with this, and would like to preserve the "foot-fingers" it took so long to get.

Finger cots.

Ever see them?

We use them at work, when working on medical parts... they look like little condoms that you roll onto your finger tips.

Just throwing it out there for those who worry about such perverted things.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

I ought to post a picture of my fingertips.
    I never got callouses. I don't take good care of my nails, but my fingertips look as delicate as a woman's...and I have no problems at all with tenderness there.

IF I don't play for a long time, the skin might peel a bit, but, nothing that looks or feels like a hard callous.

Comment

That's prolly cuz you have furry pads Cyg.
      Totally different than the rest of us.
      hehehe
      --floydkramer

Comment

Lemme check.

Dammit.

Edit:
        But, I can play harmonics with my canine teeth like nobody else!
        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I never heard that about Les but I did hear it about Warren Haynes. I think it just depends what your skin type is. When I lose a callous, the skin under it is almost as hard as the callous was so it's really not a big deal for me. The other guitar player in my band plays all the time and never really seems to get callouses...he tried to move up to 10's and couldn't do it because his fingers hurt too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
            I never heard that about Les but I did hear it about Warren Haynes. I think it just depends what your skin type is. When I lose a callous, the skin under it is almost as hard as the callous was so it's really not a big deal for me. The other guitar player in my band plays all the time and never really seems to get callouses...he tried to move up to 10's and couldn't do it because his fingers hurt too much.
            Well, that's the other puzzle. I have amost always used 10's, or 11's.
            Back in the old daze, (remember round wounds, and smooth rounds, and all that jazz?) I usually had 11's or 12's. Then, I switched to Fender Super Bullet .010's for many years. Still, no callous, to speak of. And I have quit playing for almost six months at a stretch. Only issue was, maybe losing a layer of skin after a few hours going back into it. Certainly no pain, to speak of.

Comment

Vai also mentions that you shouldn't leave your hands in water for a long time for the calluses.
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I've always thought that getting your hands wet in a lady's special hole then playing the darn guitar and after the gig letting all the kids smell your strings and because of that getting all the street cred is a good thing
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I just don't play within a couple hours of showering - it's a good compromise IMO

Comment

Yeah this would definately be a good idea for me! When I practice for a couple hours, then take a shower before work the tips of my fingers become really soft and all white from dead skin. It looks pretty gross.

Comment

I like when my fingers are mangled.

Comment

Had to do a double take there.
                        Thought you said Manglued
                        LOL
                        --floydkramer

Comment

I read an interview with Greg Allman a few years back, and he told the reporter that Duane would never, EVER wash his hands because he feared that his callouses would get soft.
                          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

It's important for me to keep them dry... but people's skin types vary, techniques vary, and amount of time playing vary.
                            I may get calloused after playing for 2 hours a day for three weeks.
                            Others may not.
                            Maybe I push to hard?
                            Damn... for years I've been practicing the less is more theory of pressure.
                            Light and fluffy... smooth and not bound up with muscle tension.
                            Must just be about my skin type.
                            Oh well... I digress.

For those who need/want 'em, finger cots.
                            I can get them for you if you need them... just let me know.

--floydkramer

Comment

I bet Mrs. Paul isn't happy Les has dry hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X