Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibrato question

hey there,
    one question: when i'm using a wide vibrato i tend to get some unwanted noise from the next lower string, e.g. i'm playing a note on the B string and as i'm adding vibrato to that note my fingertip touches the G string which as a result gives me some unwanted noise, kinda like a sloppy hammer-on.
    so, in short words...what am i doing wrong?
    btw, this is not so much the case when doing only a narrow vibrato, but then again, some notes just call for a wide aggressive one.
    thanks in advance

I usually dampen the adjacent string (either above or below depending on if you're bending down or up) really close to the saddle with my picking hand. Usually helps with the string noise, but if you're using some heavy distortion it's pretty hard to cover it up (so much for the "hiding behind distortion" saying)
    EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I used to have this problem until I really doubled down and worked on my vibrato. To keep even a very wide sounding vibrato at a proper pitch you really don't need to go far enough to hit another string, you just need to know exactly how far to bend. Try messing with the angle of your finger on the string. Dampening the other string with the fretting hand has never been something I could do with any accuracy, especially during fast passages...

Comment

Watch some BB king vibratos. He angles his finger against the fretboard, making it easy to swing... youd have to watch it to understand better.

Comment

I usually have my other fretting finger on the next string lower, and I bend that one too, just enough to keep it out of the way of the one you're going for. no striking the lower one, just bend it along with the main one you're playing, to keep it out of the way of your bending finger. so you're bending more than one string and using more than one finger to do that. it works great, esp for really full-note and 1.5 note bends. learned this by watching a Jeff Watson instructional video years ago.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
          X