Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to increase speed and coordination in both hands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best way to increase speed and coordination in both hands?

Originally posted by mt:
    IMO, if Sundane had read some stuff, asked around, and realized the importance of picking technique and worked on it early on. He would have been shredding like a monster a lot earlier.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's Sunbane [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But yeah, I agree. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    When I started out, there was no one that could explain to me how to practice. They would tell me about what to practice, but not about the actual training process. And there was no widely available internet to scour for info. =/ I never heard about Troy Stetina until much later either.

But right now I'm quite content to work on my chops, even though I may never get to use them onstage. Getting better at guitar is something that is like a personal reward. =)

Another thought:
    I think the most important thing to remember, is to have fun. When practicing the guitar becomes a chore, you're not going to absorb as much skill - and the more boring it gets, the sooner you'll be throwing the axe down, saying "fuck it". If you're determined to do boring chromatic excercises to improve your coordination, at least make something fun out of them. Change positions, fingering order, string climb etc, to make them challenging and interesting. Create some pseudo-shred lick out of it, that sounds cool and will impress the hell out of your bratty cousins or something. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Oh sorry about the screw-up Sunbane.

I second that.
      I have poor self-discipline, so I was never able to force myself to "practice" practice... Neither did I have the patience to practice with a metronome at low speeds.

I always just played the licks/pieces. I did next to 0 fingering excercises in my life. Why? It's damn fun to play the pieces! I always have trouble putting down the guitar because I'm having so much fun playing it for hours and hours!

When I mess up, I'd play the part repetitively a few times, usually it gets smooth after that. If not, I slow it down a bit and try to find an easier fingering/picking pattern for the lick. then I play it a few times. If there's no improvement, I just let it go. Next morning, surprise! I can play the lick smooth as butter! Tho some harder licks it takes up to a week...

If you really can'd do it... let it go, don't work on it constantly and force yourself to get over this hurdle before playing anything else. Usually a realization of how to do it will pop up some time in the future.

Comment

Well I know this thing : Put your hand on a table , and raise your index finger and ring finger at the same time , then put them down .
        Then raise your middle finger and pinky at the same time .

Dunno if anyone understood that , but try to ! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Practice an hour minimum daily. Use a metronome to increase speed, clearity and dexterity. Start slow and build up in tempos on scales, simple exercises. Practicing 3-4 note arpeggios helps build up your right-left coordination. If you get speed developed in these, you can build up on the full arps. Double note picking and reverse patterns too, help build ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smithee:
            Press on: Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common that unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone overcome.

- Calvin Coolidge, U.S. President 1923-1929

Not a bad quote from a one term president!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a great quote!

And yeah, it's the same with everything. In the art of drawing, I've seen supposedly untalented people learn to draw really well by just constantly practicing and getting helpful pointers along the way - just as I've seen talented people stopping in their progress, because they are not used to having to practice.

Comment

Paul Gilbert (I think) talks about people coming up to him and saying, "man, I'd do anything to be able to play like you" to which he replies (in a friendly, "throwing down a challenge" kind of way) "oh yeah? would you be willing to practice 8 hours a day for x years?"

or something like that, but you get the point...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smithee:
                Paul Gilbert (I think) talks about people coming up to him and saying, "man, I'd do anything to be able to play like you" to which he replies (in a friendly, "throwing down a challenge" kind of way) "oh yeah? would you be willing to practice 8 hours a day for x years?"

or something like that, but you get the point...
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...the point being NOT that YOU have to practice exactly 8 hours a day (although it wouldn't hurt)...the point being that he didn't come out of his momma's womb being able to shred. Even someone like Paul Gilbert had to practice to get where he did...and practice A LOT.

So if you're not practicing at least 1 hour a day (per the previous post) and you're wondering why you're not improving, well the answer is right in front of you.

[ April 03, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Alan Smithee ]

Comment

Press on: Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common that unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone overcome.

- Calvin Coolidge, U.S. President 1923-1929

Not a bad quote from a one term president!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                    Here is what you need:
                    A good teacher
                    A metronome
                    Lots of practice.
                    Set small attainable goals!! You WILL get there.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">wanna be my teacher? i still havent found a teacher around here that is a real teacher. sure i find ppl that play guitar great and are willing to show me a thing or 2 but no real teachers that are willing to devote the time to teaching, even when i am willing to pay for services. ....maybe its just me [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Posting a video or MP3 of you playing will help people see your problem.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have troubles playing a sweep picking lick... i've been practicing it for ages and i still couldn't get it smooth, fast and clean. i'll post a video asap!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

A good teacher
                        A metronome
                        Lots of practice.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I only have the one in the middle~
                        Honestly, i've never come across a good teacher (in hong kong). i've changed 4, i'm not trying be an ass or be critical but i really honestly think the teachers i had are bad.
                        The first teacher i had...i went to his home and learn..the first few lessons was fine...but then he started to be playing with computer games and spends his lesson time with me about computers, even playing Rogue Spear (great game! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
                        the 2nd teacher i had was in a bigger music shop, the teacher seemed quite good at first, but he is SUCH a talkative person... he spends 30 minutes out of the 45 minutes lesson sharing with me his experiences. Yes, i've talked to him about that few times and he ignored and carried on chatting. The third teacher...lol he cant even play metallica what can i say...the fourth teacher...i stayed with him the longest, but he seems to be teaching the same stuff over and over again....also...he charges me an expensive fee and also a bit talktative... after that i just decided learn it by myself...(which resulted a noob here....)
                        so on and so on....sorry if that was a boring story about the teachers i had, but i really really wished i had a GOOD teacher who is actually DEVOTED to teaching guitar, and not only looking for $$ to spend. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by xjimmyleungx:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A good teacher
                          A metronome
                          Lots of practice.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I only have the one in the middle~
                          Honestly, i've never come across a good teacher (in hong kong). i've changed 4, i'm not trying be an ass or be critical but i really honestly think the teachers i had are bad.
                          The first teacher i had...i went to his home and learn..the first few lessons was fine...but then he started to be playing with computer games and spends his lesson time with me about computers, even playing Rogue Spear (great game! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
                          the 2nd teacher i had was in a bigger music shop, the teacher seemed quite good at first, but he is SUCH a talkative person... he spends 30 minutes out of the 45 minutes lesson sharing with me his experiences. Yes, i've talked to him about that few times and he ignored and carried on chatting. The third teacher...lol he cant even play metallica what can i say...the fourth teacher...i stayed with him the longest, but he seems to be teaching the same stuff over and over again....also...he charges me an expensive fee and also a bit talktative... after that i just decided learn it by myself...(which resulted a noob here....)
                          so on and so on....sorry if that was a boring story about the teachers i had, but i really really wished i had a GOOD teacher who is actually DEVOTED to teaching guitar, and not only looking for $$ to spend. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
                          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think a couple of the members here are offering online classes, maybe you can check with them. And what are you planning to improve on? Practical or theory?

Fong

Comment

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A good teacher
                            A metronome
                            Lots of practice.
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] sorry, but this was awesome!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

A metronome
                              Lots of practice.
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Forgot to mention, even with the best teacher in the world, if you don't pratice, you will still ....SUCK!! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

that's true..
                                but i'm increasing my practice hours each day in the past 2 months and yes, i making it to become my habit [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X