X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how many players started out late in life

Originally posted by jgcable:
    Join the few... the proud... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey...that's ours...you can't have it [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

How about...."It's not a guitar, it's an adventure" [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

As someone who played a few years, quit, played a few years, quit and then took it back up at age 39, I can definitely relate.

Here is my advice if you are looking for a systematic approach to learning the guitar. I am presuming that you are a metalhead of some sort since you are in this forum and I am also presuming that you want to learn both lead and rhythm guitar.

First, buy the following resources:

Metal Rhythm Guitar Volume 1 (then Vol 2)
      Metal Lead Primer (then Metal Lead Vols. 1 & 2)
      Total Rock Guitar (optional)
      (All of these are by Troy Stetina and come with a CD)
      Metronome or Drum Machine

MRG and MLP both start with the assumption that you have never played. Here are the keys with both of these: Do everything Troy says and play everything with your drum machine or metronome.

You should be able to move thru Rhythm 1 and the Primer fairly fast, but make sure you can play everything in there so that it SOUNDS GOOD. That doesn't mean you have to sound exactly like Troy. But, the goal is to make music, hence, it should sound musical. Once you finish each book move on to the next volume.

One word of caution on the Lead Series: Be aware that Metal Lead Guitar Volume 1 gets very challenging. Chapter 1 is basically a review of Metal Lead Primer. Chapter 2 takes a giant step after that. If you can play the solo at the end of Chapter 2 in the meter in which it is recorded, you will have taken a major step to becoming a competent lead guitarist.

Total Rock guitar is a collection of instrumental songs that start off extremely easy and progress in degree of difficulty. But, there are some way cool songs and they are in different styles of rock. So if you want to learn some cool songs while you are learning to play it is another great resource by Troy. You can always replace this by just learning songs that you want to play.

One other word of caution: Stay out of the classified section of this forum! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
        4. Adults 30+ they come in with killer guitars.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I almost resemble this remark. I started playing back in 89 and stayed with it for about 3 or 4 years, self teaching myself. I never really picked it up much until about 3 years ago when I decided to start playing again and bought an RR5. I have been at it every night since. I make a concentrated effort to practice every night for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes I get more time in. The Troy Stetina series has been my main source of practice material in the last year or so.

When I started lessons again 3 years ago I learned how to read music. I am not the fastest but I can at least look at steet music and figure it out. I have tried to break my TAB crutch. It's all how bad you want it and what your goals are. Now I really do it for fun and to try and keep myself away from computers.

This board has been a tremendous amount of help and inspiration.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

hi ya tc,thanks for the tip on this place. as i am finding out it is a great place to be,alot of great ppl here.
          RR, sorry to hear about your loss( hears funeral music over the loss of your guitars to fund divorse) i guess i have a pretty cool wife as i took over a guitar store for a friend of mine that could no longer do it, so i guess she knows i am not quitting lol.will be definatly sending you that email.
          Jgcable, seems ya are right about most of that, with all the guitars i have in the store now i still went and bought a charvel model 6,model 4 and a couple of others for my personal collection. as for bailing out .....not an option now after buying the store lol, but actually not being able to play is hurting biz as very few that come in take me serious cause i cant play well. but i can say that after so many yrs i am getting to live my dream.
          Fritz, good advice i already checked out troys stuff and am gonna look into carrying some of it in my store, as for classifyeds ..hmmm thats a thought along with Jg's thoughts about ppl bailing on learning and selling lol.
          Jack, i get about that much time to my self and the rest of the time i get ....everyone just has to buy earplugs till i do get good lol.
          btw i am into blues classical and a little older metal....really anything that can spark an emotion inside you.

Comment

I started playing last year at age 32, my first guitar was an Ibanez RG. I really enjoy playing and it's a lot of fun, but easy to get discouraged when playing along with a CD [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey chopper,
              I started playing when I was 11 and was tutored for 5 years until I quit (I was growing more into metal playing...classical wasn't "cool" anymore) played on and off in a couple of bands, then just noodled around, not spending any time to get better for a few years, and now I'm 22 and getting pretty serious about it again.

I recently bought the Fretboard Logic series of books, and I believe they are the best way of learning the theory of the guitar (as an instrument) which might open your eyes to how you can play it "your way"...there is no definite answer, everyone has a unique style and different influences which constantly evolves. (unless you're in Iron Maiden anyway [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

FL explains many basic things, and it reveals some very interesting facts about common misconceptions about the guitar, lead styles, naming chords etc. and I haven't even finished the books yet!
              I also bought an older book called "speed mechanics for lead guitar" which I'm told is great, but I haven't had time to go through it yet though.

good luck, and be patient - it will come to you eventually [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

Originally posted by TC Rocker USA:
                Me, I guess I'm the old man here, I started 2 years ago at 46.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ha! That makes you the same age as me. We're the GG - Geezer Guitarists. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Chopper, I started at 15, lessons for a couple years, then played in various bands or jammed with friends until I was about 30, but never got really good. Why? No dedication. Sold everything and didn't play at all for 16 years. Fast forward to 46 years old. Bought a bunch of guitars (Charvels, of course!) and got serious about learning. I practice almost every day at least 1 hour, and have a great teacher who has 15 years of playing for a living (bands and studio work). He is teaching me the fundamentals and structure of music - far beyond just learning songs. Because of that, I can play almost any type music I want to ... and better than ever. The advice given here on the board is solid. Be dedicated. Don't get discouraged. And practice, practice, practice.

Dave

Comment

Hey chopper45hd

I started playing when I was 19 that was considered late. I went to a little music store and took lessons from a kid 3 years younger than me that could shred his ass off, you may have heard of him he goes by Dimebag Darrell now. Talking about movitation or intimadation kinda sick mix of both.

Anyways I worked my butt off for several years. The wife got tired of the groupies that always hung around and laid down the law. I quit the band I was in cause I love my wife dearly.

I played very little after that for many years then I got back into it about seven years ago for a short time pretty much had to learn all over again. Took a management job at work and that killed any time I had for playing again. Then less than a year ago I started again. This time I am putting in as much time as I did when I first started. I think I am progessing faster this time around than I did when I was young. And after 23 years of marriage I don't think my wife cares about groupies any more. LOL

However over the course of years that I let my actual playing skills go to hell. I horded every book or resource I could find on scale theory and scale modes. But I play for me now for the sheer enjoyment of it. I could care less about playing in smoky bars and I don't have to put up with band members that show up when they feel like it. or get so wasted at a gig they can't set up straight on their drum seat. (Did I say that)

My skill is not where I want it to be yet, but I am getting there, it takes a while at any age. There has been a lot of good advise posted in the above post, but most of all don't make it a job. Enjoy it because that is what it is all about.

Mathyus

Comment

Hey, Chopper-
                    I read through this whole thread, and you're getting some great advice. I don't know how much I can add. I started playing about 2 years ago at age 43. That decision to play turned out to be one of the best things I have done for myself, ever. I look forward to practicing which I never did when I took violin lessons as child. You can tell when you start to sound better and that's plenty of reward by itself. I just have to keep trying to push the following poisonous thought out of my head "I should have done this 30 years ago."

Here's a few things I find helpful.
                    1. Even practicing picking, droning on one string while you watch TV is beneficial. Hold the pick really, really loose.

2. Don't be afraid of theory. It's your friend.

3. Think about studying classical. For me, that's the only method that's really helping me learn where the notes are.

4. Don't give up on finding a good teacher. Some people may not need that, but I sure do. My teacher once gave me what I think is the ultimate compliment - "That was a good lesson. You suck less!"

Yes, it's hard work, but it's just too much fun.

Comment

I started with music when I was 3. I played piano and actually played at Lincoln Center in NYC when I was 10. I played Moonlight Sonata by Bethoven entirely by ear. I was considered a prodigy back then and did many concerts and recitals. I had a famous piano teacher at the time and he gave me free lessons. Then one day it was no longer cool to play piano (around 15) and I picked up a guitar. I also play clarinet, banjo, mandolin, violin, bass, drums, harmonica and I sing. I have whats known as relative pitch and borderline perfect pitch. I can tune a guitar to 440 without a tuner providing there is no other music that I can hear. It comes in handy sometimes. Anyway... after picking up the guitar at 15 I haven't put it down for the last 29 years. I play every single day. I still practice all my scales and modes and am constantly learning new styles. Lately I am really into transcribing violin concerto's for guitar. It is a never ending learning experience and has continued to be fun throughout all these years. The only frustrating thing is the fact that I never made it in the music business. Although I have felt that I always had the tools to make it, I never got that chance. I came close a bunch of times and have some songs on the radio currently that I played on like Carribean Queen by Bill Ocean, some songs by Lloyd Price, Ben-E King, Brenda Reed, The Fat Boys etc..., making it to the second audition to replace Randy Rhoads for the Speak of the Devil tour, touring with Twisted Sister and Zebra and hanging out with Mick Jones from Foreigner and his tour manager discussing my band Cage opening up for their Juke Box Hero world tour while we were sitting around the actual Juke Box that appeared on the album cover in Time Square NYC. We rehearsed right next to Anthrax and I partied with Vito Bratta. My cousin dated Ace Freheley for almost 2 years and herself is a very accomplished guitar player song writer in the style of Melissa Ethredge. My wife was even on the cover of a rap magazine hanging out with the Fat Boys at their signing party while they were having huge bling bling designed for them by jewelers who were at the party.After the party they all went to the Jaguar dealership and bought kick arss Jags right off the showroom floor!! I did all their guitar tracks for all their albums and co-produced their soundtrack for Disorderlies. I mention these things because if it wasn't for playing guitar none of them would have ever happened to me. Really cool stuff happens when you play guitar. Especially when you start getting good! It is so cool hearing about 40+ players just starting out. You are in for a really good time. Just stick with it and keep practicing. Get a good teacher and become a sponge. Learn every style and incorporate what you like best from them and build your own. Playing guitar is so damn cool. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      It is also a great way to pick up the chickies...

Comment

Chopper, if you own a guitar store and have room to set up a jam room, you should have a jam night, once a week, or every 2 weeks, or even once a month. It will get you acquainted with the local players, and you'd be amazed what you can learn just watching people play. You'd also be surprised; players are flattered when you come up and say, "How'd you do that lick in _______?", and are apt to show you their riffs when asked.

I'd concentrate on learning the basic major, minor and pentatonic scales, first in the positions that stick to the bar chords, like say all your A scales in the 5th fret position. Then once you know how the scale sounds in your head, go on to the 3-note per string forms which are great for shred licks and for giong up and down the fretboard. Chromatic scales are also great; that's where every 1/2 step from A to A is played. An easy version of that is, in A: Start at the A on the 5th fret low E string, play A, Bb, B, and C. then go to the 4th fret A string (C#) and play C#, D, Eb, and E. Then the 3rd fret D string F, Gb, G and Ab. Then the 2nd fret G string A, Bb, B,
                        and C. Then the 2nd fret B string C#, D. Eb, E. Then the 1st fret high E string
                        F, Gb, G, Ab, A. It's a lot easier to do than to write. It'll exercise all 4 fingers, chromatic runs are great for stringing other ideas together. Now when
                        you climbed this scale, you had 4 notes per string, except 5 notes on the last string, where you had to slide up to the last note. Play it in reverse by going DOWN 4 notes per string, and you'll have a different pattern going down, ending with 5 notes on the bottom string and a slide down to hit the tonic A. This is a great dexterity exercise for your left hand fingers, and alternate up and down picking strokes to build a clean picking technique. Most people start with an upstroke to make the move to the next string smoother.

Sorry if this sounds confusing. You could probably search guitar sites for scales and get diagrams that'd be easier to digest. The important thing is, learn from as many people as you can; most everybody has something worth learning, and it'll be a good way to make friends and bring in customers too! Good luck playing and with the store too!

Rich
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

ok jg .....i am impressed!quite a resume if ya ask me....and you said you didnt make it in the music biz [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] all the post here do make me feel better about not being the "old guy" i did go buy the troy stetina books ( rythem metal and lead primer) and the fred durst vid in another thread makes me feel ALOT better lol. now all there is to do is enjoy the time learning and some day i will be good enough to sit and jam with some of yall. Thanks to everyone
                          after all...all we really have in this life is time

Comment

I hear you bro... keep playin and keep postin!! If you have any technique questions just fire away.

Comment

I started seriously at the age of 17. I really don't think it matters when you start something as long as you have the drive and determination to improve. Granted you have more time for practice when you have not the responsibilities of life...job, bills, house, wife and kids etc. I was able to devote a substantial amount of time and I was able to play Randy Rhoads and VH solos within my first year and half of playin...people told me I was good but I never thought so [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              I started with an ear and a Mel Bay chord book.

Today people starting out have a so much information available to them. I would learn the notes on the E,A and D strings to the 12th fret...reason being that these will be rot notes in the chords that you'll use. I don't know what type of music you are into but a lot of the metal songs are just V chords (two notes..root and 5th) and you can play a million songs with them. What was fun for me was learning songs that I liked and jamming to the records, just rhythm first. Learn a few songs and then begin to work on scales and modes....primarily for technique building at first...you'll use them for theory later. You can learn a simple lead or lick and you'll be on your way in no time. Don't every say to yourself that you can't play something...that is so untrue...sure you may be unable to play something now but with practice...determination...hard work etc you CAN play whatever you set your mind on.

Just remember it takes work but it has to be fun or what's the point? I spent hours and hours on building technique so I could play like Yngwie...its not much fun so I'd reward myself by working technique, reward being free time to do whatever I wanted to do, whether it was playin along with records or improvising over backing tracks or whatever.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Good thread, and some damn good advice. I'm 40, been playing since I was 14. My last band broke up when I was 22 and ever since then I just quit practicing. I didn't quit playing, just quit practicing and worst of all, quit learning. Now 18 years later I've decided to get serious with it again and I'm having a lot of fun. I too used the "age" excuse for a long time but one of our brothers here has been a great source of inspiration to me and helped me to realize that it IS possible at any age! Thanks John! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                                My advise: Don't ever think you're too old to learn.
                                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X