need help with triplets.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need help with triplets.....

Thoraby does three downstrokes (one for each triplet) and then he's done! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
      figuring out the entire Iced Earth discography worked for me. those are great triplet exercises.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is exactly what I was going to suggest! Jon Schaffer is the undisputed KING of triplet picking. May as well learn from the best...

Comment

Get out your metronome and set it at a relativly slow speed then for each beat you play a down up down. In time you can up it to Iced Earth speed.
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Wow, thoraby, i'm not one to get on anyone's case around here, but there is no reason to tell someone to play all downstrokes while trying something without a sweeping feel. USE ALTERNATE PICKING!! It's not only alot easier then all downstrokes, but most importantly, it's the right way to pick! If you (or anyone else for that matter) are spending your time finding a way around something that challanges you, then i don't think that you'll be progressing much. Besides, how fast do you expect to go playing with all downstrokes?? Maybe your just trying to help, but jeez, come on!! Playing all downstrokes is like pissin' on a public restroom toilet seat and cleaning it up, it just unnecessary!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ November 03, 2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

Picking downstrokes makes things sound heavier, much like James Hetfield or Scott Ian do a lot, but even they use alternate picking for really fast stuff. My cousin learned mostly by downpicking, and it screws him up a lot now.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well said, Joe...Also, i didn't meen to get on your case that bad, Thoarby. I just go off on rants sometimes. No hard feelings i hope [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ November 03, 2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I am getting it back. I sit in front of the muted tv for hours and play the same riffs over and over and over again. I figured out what I need to do in order to do them consistently, and I am slowly getting the hang of it. Now if I can just get of that damn ringing in my ears.
                Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Here's what i did. I had a lotta trouble with triplets, and i started listening to System Of a Down's "Know". After a while, i was drumming on counters the first part with the triplet rythm.

I was surprised to find that when i got onto guitar and bass, i was able to do triplets with a pick very easily o.O

Comment

well... Since I'm most likely the biggest Iced Earth fan here and I've studied Schaffer's rthym technique, I'll tell you guys how it's done. He starts every set of triplets with a downstroke. So down-up-down down-up-down down-up-down. and for the one note then triplet, he does the same thing. Down then down-up-down. It's not nessecarily faster at first, but your hand is a lot more stable. I still play using down-up-down up-down-up, but I can do both just as good as the other. Triplets are such an awesome picking pattern, I absolutely love them. Probably what enticed me with Iced Earth.

Comment

Wait, are you asking about musical note triplets, as in what John said (1 & a 2 & a 3 & a 4 & a...), or are you asking about PICKING HAND GALLOPING? There's quite a difference... the guys talking about Jon Schaffer are talking about the Iron Maiden style gallops in which there are three notes followed by a rest of equal interval.

Jon is great at his super-speed gallops, but his intricate picking patterns are wicked too. They're honestly not that hard to master. When I first heard songs like "Stand Alone", I thought it sounded impossible, but then I actually TRIED it on guitar and I got it within seconds. It could also be because I played a lot of agressive strummy acoustic songs before starting electric, so I easily adapted my rhythm skills over. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm that great of a lead player, so that department has always suffered. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the first post was enquiring about triplets, and the intitial responses reflected that.

But when the discussion turned to playing lots of Iced Earth and Jon Schaffer being the king of "triplet playing", I started to wonder if people were talking about gallops instead. I'm not real familiar with Iced Earth, and I've never heard Fade To Black, so I didn't know if they were tunes that used a lot of triplets, like Testament's Souls of Black (in 12/8 time, that song is ALL triplets) or if they galloped, Iron Maiden-style.

If you want to get a feel for triplets, practice your scales in 3 note sequences. Y'know, like:
                        --------------------------------------------
                        ----------------------------5---5-7-5-7-9--- etc.
                        ----------5---5-7-5-7-8-7-8---8-------------
                        5-7-8-7-8---8-------------------------------

or

------------------------------5---5-7-5-7--- etc.
                        ------------5---5-7-5-7-8-7-8---8-----------
                        7-5-7-8-7-8---8-----------------------------
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                        X