Bass playing speed/technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass playing speed/technique

Yeah I just keep doin' runs and patterns ..especially alot of two handed ones...

Then you just start playing from memory ..just being repetitive ...

when I come across a really cool bass thing that I'm tinkering with ...no matter if it's a slap groove with tapping and harmonics / ghost notes...

I ncorpate it into a melody or song ...I suposse ...this way I will always remember it...

Example ...alot of Eddies coolest crap was when he just stumbled on to some weird tapping thing or what not ...he always throws it in somewhere....Probably alot of stuff that I do come up with couldn't really be utilized in a normal , standard song ..unless your in Primus!

Eddie put all his tricks to work...like the slap into to Mean Streets..

My start in tapping was when I saw Tont Levin in King Crimson on the "Discipline" tour back in '81...he was playing a Chapman stick ...I was blown away ...

More by the technique than the stick itself...

I immediately started to do Chapman stick tapping chords and grooves on the bass...for hours ...watching the Flinstones...

I could tap in my sleep..

My influence are as follows..Tony Levin (who put the thought in my head)..Stu Hamm , Victor Wooten , and Michael Manring....oh and some Jeff Berlin...that's it!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Nice! I'm working on my tapping and I've also been hugely inspired by Stu Hamm. Amazing player. Thanks again.

Comment

That's a fun solo Stu Hamm did on Satch's latest concert dvd. (2001?) Moonlight Sonata lol. Awesome.

Comment

Stu is great I got to meet Stu and gave Satch my Police badge he put on his strap...I traded some licks with Stu ...I watched his videos enough to know what he does...so I showed him something he may keep in mind ..It a weird double strike tap thingy I came up with while tap doodling...one day ...it's different..he agreed!

very cool dude and great player!!!!

He did show me one thing that I couldn't ever grab ...the rake intro to "count zero"..

Then Satch showed me how he gets those crazy depressed whammy harmonics touching the G string in the right spot between the neck and pup area..I haven't practiced that too much ...people always made fun of me when I used to do those (John)...cuz I used to do them all the time... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So I'm a little outta practice with those...I hit them still now and then ....when the mood is right... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
          X