Basic Solo Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basic Solo Theory

This is how I think about it. Learn all your theory....find out what sounds good with what. All that. GEt it down to a science, then forget about it and just let yourself go. You'd be surprised how much of your knowledge just shows itself when you wing it.

Comment

I strongly suggest picking up a copy of "Fretboard Logic". Different learning methods work for different people, but that book really nailed it for me. I have been playing guitar for 20 years, but only recently, once I started going through that book, did it all start to click with me. I always knew my scales, but I didn't understand the fretboard as a whole. The book really explains it well.

FYI, Fretboard Logic doesn't try to teach you how to shred like Malmsteen - it just sets out to teach you how the scales work. For speed technique, pick up a copy of "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar".

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

great advice guys, cheers. I guess the reason why i dont have a tutor now is because all this guitar theory will be taught at the Uni i hope to get in to, i thought i might try to give the theory a shot myself, as an experience..Though i do regret not getting a tutor straight off, i could have realised alot of **** much much earlier...I will check out fretboard logic, and similarly to you, i need the overall picture of the fretboard and how **** works to click in me, cause technique etc etc is fine, just the theory behind it is non existent basically.
        Cheers [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

a sign of a great player is the ability to make any note sound good. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's what works for me... and it's no more or less valid than other approaches listed here.

I made a point to learn the notes on the neck. Starting with C major, since it has no sharps and flats - and then worked my way one sharp and one flat at a time to other keys. So if I'm playing a song that is in A major, I use all notes natural except for C#, G# and F#. I don't play patterns - I play NOTES. I have some 'ruts' that I repeat at times because I like the sound, but I don't just remember/regurgitate say a 5-7-9/5-7-9/6-7-9/6-7-9/5-7-9/5-7-9 pattern for A major starting at the 5th fret. now if I'm at a gig and had a few beers and I get lost, sure - it's pattern time! But I try to come up with new stuff everytime I play. If all you do is practice patterns, you'll learn to play those patterns really fast. Wow.

I also try to outline the chords I'm playing around, with more emphasis on the 3rds. Anyone wanting to really get deep into soloing should be able to construct chords and know the formulas - major chord, 1-3-5, minor 1-b3-5, etc.

One thing I do NOT do is mess with modes... I'm a straight minor or major guy. I just go with the notes and resolve the licks around the chords under them. Flying in a Blue Dream is C lydian. I could care less... I just use G major and resolve licks around the chords. They have the same basic notes, and then you aren't wasting time you should be playing with remembering which mode is what and where. Figure out the chords first and then you can figure out what scales will fit.

just my .02,

Pete

Comment

I love this thread. I have nothing additional to say, I just wanted to thank you guys for your advice and knowledge. I'm definitely listening!

Comment

1) Record backing track
                2) Imporovise over it a bunch of times and let the mood of the song dictate what type of direction the solo go
                3) Once you have a direction record 3-4 different takes...let it sit for a day and listen to them and pick out one that works
                [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

timed out when I was editing...I was adding

I learned the fretboard by playing scales and modes in every possible position I could. I'd also learn melodies and see how many positions I could play the melody in. When learning the modes I'd lay down a progression in each mode and improvise over it until I grasped the mood of the mode...once you do this they come pretty clear.

Another thing I do which Box hit on is once you learned enough of everything forget it and just improvise. I don't think in terms of scales when I play very much, just the mood or feel of it...sure I could analyze it 10 ways to none and describe it as it relates to whatever but who cares wtf its called...I just want it sound cool, mysterious, dark, eerie, happy, funky, jazzy, sad, melodic, poontangish, etc... If I nail the feel of what I was trying to do then that is all that matters to me.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                    I also try to outline the chords I'm playing around, with more emphasis on the 3rds. Anyone wanting to really get deep into soloing should be able to construct chords and know the formulas - major chord, 1-3-5, minor 1-b3-5, etc.

One thing I do NOT do is mess with modes... I'm a straight minor or major guy. I just go with the notes and resolve the licks around the chords under them. Flying in a Blue Dream is C lydian. I could care less... I just use G major and resolve licks around the chords. They have the same basic notes, and then you aren't wasting time you should be playing with remembering which mode is what and where. Figure out the chords first and then you can figure out what scales will fit.

just my .02,

Pete
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah Pete.. same notes different order..my point is you KNOW what the Lydian mode sounds like or the mood it is projects. Associating it with a familar song or solo like you did (Blue Dream) is also a cool way to "learn'' them
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Lol, im struggling, it's all greek to me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

A person needs to start from the VERY bottom. It's frustrating trying to memorize the notes on the neck.

I realise its the first step I need to take, but It still takes a few seconds to click as to what im playing.

Between that and fingering technique, im flying in a blue dream.

Comment

Working...
                      X