Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need help with playing by ear!!!

Yes, I do have the course-

I got it years ago-it does work if you follow his method. I never really got it going, and did give my ear a bit of a boost.

When it comes to guitar playing, I don't know if perfect pitch is such a good thing. Strings go in and out pitch so easy, it would drive me nuts.

but if you really want that abilty, the course will work. It is aimed to be used on a piano, and you need a partner for daily practice. I think in a little under a few years, you can have a very good level of perfect pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by xRR1x:
      i really dont know a damn about theory and i can play perfect im also in a band
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">WOW!! Do you use the bathroom by yourself too?

Comment

There are two courses out there, the prefect pitch and the relative pitch. The relative pitch teaches you to hear the difference between major, minor, minor 7 flat 5 stuff like that. I can relate to the annoying pitch problem but how often have we heard a band where one of the guys was out of tune? This is probably going to motivate me to resume the courses again..........thanks guys!!

Comment

Well, depending on what your trying to learn to play, I would just try and get a basic understanding of intervals and the major scale. Songs usually follow a motive and are in one key. Usually the first note or the last note of the song will tell you what key your in. Generally, pedaling the E string means your in the key of E. Once you figure out one riff, you can figure out which mode they're in and you've got all the notes that they're playing right in front of you. If your trying to transcribe the song note for not, fiddle around and bend notes on your guitar and randomly play until what your playing sounds in tune with what they're doing. This will give you a good place to start. I can listen to a song and almost visualize what they're doing on the neck of the guitar. Its taken 10 yrs. for that to happen but it is possible.
          Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

is learning perfect pitch like the matrix? once you get in your screwed?

Comment

I'm new to the forum, but I've been teaching guitar for 15 years or more. You may want to try the amazing slow downer from ronisoft. They have a free trial version which is enough to check it out. I've found that if you can make the chords (on the recording) ring longer, you have more time to hear the notes. Over time, You will hear them faster. It has helped my students and it may help you. It's free. http://www.ronimusic.com/

Comment

JGCable is exactly right.Relative pitch is what you are looking for.It tied in all the guitar lessons I had when I was 6,7,8 years old to what I learned jamming with all my friends in JR.High and High School.Keep Playing! It will slap you in the face one day!
                Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  JGCable is exactly right.Relative pitch is what you are looking for.It tied in all the guitar lessons I had when I was 6,7,8 years old to what I learned jamming with all my friends in JR.High and High School.Keep Playing! It will slap you in the face one day!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha i can imagine that.

SLAP!

Oh crap it's all **** CLEAR NOW!

Comment

Never had perfect pitch. I can figure it out from a reference point aka. relative pitch. I can nail A 440 though. I used to have (and may still somewhere) a Rock Box. It had an A 440 tone for tuning. I used to listen to it and solo over it so I could get used to hearing it. Drilled it into my head. I always could figure songs out though. I don't know why. I guess just countless hours of listening. I learned the into to Mean Street and my guitar buddies were like "You SUCK! F'n jerk!"

Comment

thanks for the heads-up on the good-ear site...it's a fabulous practice tool.

Comment

I think that having good relative pitch is pretty important. Another thing is to listen to all types of artists, and become familiar with their style. Many guitarists tend to stick to certain keys, and once you recognize that, you can figure out what they're playin, and whatever...i dont know, i'm babbling.

Comment

Working...
                        X