Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get those really harsh pick squeals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you get those really harsh pick squeals?

I will still claim that some guitars do these squeals better than others. For instance, when I'm comparing my RR3 with my old Vantage, I've noticed that the artificial harmonics are much stronger in the Vantage. They practically jump out of that guitar - you can hear them clearly even when playing it unplugged. Not so with the Jackson. They're a lot less audible in the RR3 when playing unplugged.

The difference between the two isn't as big when playing through an amp, but still the harmonics from the Vantage sound "rounder" and more melodic for some reason.

Could it be bridge type and/or material? The RR3 has the JT580LP, while the Vantage has a brass fixed bridge and brass nut.

'bane

Comment

Re: How do you get those really harsh pick squeals?

Makes sense to me...there are lots of factors of the guitar itself that determine many qualities of the guitar itself, right? Like the wood, the hardware used, the strings, string height, setup etc. Just as all of those things are going to affect the sound you hear when you've got the guitar going into a cranked amp, they are going to affect what you get out of it in other ways, too. My guess with what you're saying would be that maybe the pickups are helping compensate for the differences in the guitars' sounds themselves. So, whereas you hear a big difference in AHs unamplified, the pickups are helping boost the signal of both guitars to even it out a bit. Kinda like when somebody takes a $200 Korean jobbie guitar and throws some EMGs in it and thinks it's suddenly a wonderful guitar--pickup compensation.

Stu

Comment

Working...
      X